MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Senate slows mining bill

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Senate slows mining bill

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:29 pm

This might be the real reason why the open pit iron mine might not go forward:

Anybody who follows the global markets for iron ore shouldn’t be surprised by Gogebic Taconite’s decision to suddenly abandon a controversial proposal to open a new mine in northern Wisconsin.

After peaking at nearly $200 a ton in February 2011, ore prices have since plunged by more than 30 percent, with analysts now predicting a world glut of iron ore by 2014 and beyond.

One reason is China, which has been ramping up production, accounting for more than 70 percent of projected capacity growth worldwide over the next two years. Another is the increasing use of recycled steel, which reduces the demand for new sources of iron ore to feed the steel mills.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Walker's appointee says, just trust me.

Cathy Stepp, secretary of the state Department of Natural Resources, said Friday that her agency would have been able to site an iron mine in northern Wisconsin without harming the environment and blasted opponents of a GOP mine permitting bill for fear-mongering.
"This issue just became another political pinata with some senators clearly displaying that politics is more important than getting things done for Wisconsin citizens. I wish it wasn't true, but unfortunately in the end the motivation to not allow a potential success for Governor Walker appears to be what really killed the bill."
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:27 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I culled this from the comments on the JSOnline story about the possibility of a special session. It's an excellent point that I have not seen made elsewhere.
Here's what's interesting-- and no media outlet has really covered this. All this sturm and drang involving the mining bill is pointless. Even if the original bill had sailed through to the Governor's desk for approval, this particular proposed mining project would never happen. Here's why-- The Penokee-Gogebic Range has 70 miles of rivers and streams that flow through it, all of it emptying into the Bad River. The Bad River runs through the whole length of the Bad River Chippewa Reservation just east of Ashland. The Bad River Tribe has opposed mining on this site from day one of this proposed mining legislation. If there was ever a hint that mining might start in the Penokee-Gogebic Range, the Tribe would promptly have the issue in federal court on the grounds that it would violate the treaties the Tribe has with the federal government, which guarantee clean air and water. The Tribe would likely win its action at step one, but even if it didn't, the issue would move through the appeals process, potentially going all the way to the US Supreme Court. And the bottom line would be that Gogebic Taconite is not going to wait around for that whole process to be worked through... Forget about it. There will never be mining in that range.
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:30 pm

It's not about mining.
It's about scoring political points regarding "job creation".
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Woofer wrote:I culled this from the comments on the JSOnline story about the possibility of a special session. It's an excellent point that I have not seen made elsewhere.

From page two of this discussion:
Henry Vilas wrote:Northern Wisconsin Chippewa tribes might use treaties to halt or slow proposed mine

Armed with its status as a sovereign nation and powerful treaties with the federal government, the Bad River Chippewa tribe has the legal muscle to do what Democratic opponents of an iron mine proposed for northern Wisconsin have so far been unable to do: halt or delay the project.

Those powers, say experts on Native American law, appear to have been both underestimated and misunderstood by proponents of the mine, including Republican legislators who have been criticized for failing to consult with tribal members as they work on a bill to streamline permitting for the mine.

Treaties are part of the supreme law of our nation and supercede state law.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Prediction. My inside sources tell me:
The mine bill will pass in a special session of the state legislature.The Dems are being hammered by the private sector labor unions who are threatening to have their members vote for Walker in the recall. Jauch will be given a pass by his party to vote for the bill.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Meade, thanks for the heads up. It seems that the suggestion that democracy is a way of life, not something to visit every 2 to 4 years holds true. Labor unions, ideally, are democracy in the work place. As in all aspects of life we are best to remain vigilant.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 21088.html

http://www.californiahealthline.org/art ... -seiu.aspx
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely, whether it be Scott Walker or a Union.

Although Taylor Swift does appear to be immune to it so far...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:51 am

Meade wrote:Prediction. My inside sources tell me:
The mine bill will pass in a special session of the state legislature.The Dems are being hammered by the private sector labor unions who are threatening to have their members vote for Walker in the recall. Jauch will be given a pass by his party to vote for the bill.

Inside what, a crack house? Funniest thing I've read yet from you, which is saying a lot since you post nothing but comedy.

Wanna bet on this?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 am

Rep Jauch (D-Poplar) has a few words about what it would take to pass a bill he'd approve of.
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/bi ... 55755.html

Recently, I spoke with Gov. Scott Walker and pledged to work with him to find a solution other than the Senate bombshell that has confused citizens and deafened the ability for citizens or public officials to have reasoned discussion.

Throughout the past few days, I have focused my attention on solving the problem rather than salivating in the bombastic rhetoric that doesn't accomplish anything. I will continue to work to see if it is possible to find a bipartisan solution that is fair to a mining company but upholds the Wisconsin values of preserving the environment that sustains us.

He wants something more like the law they have in Minnesota.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:22 am

wack wack wrote:Wanna bet on this?

Okay.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:30 am

Meade wrote:
wack wack wrote:Wanna bet on this?

Okay.

Meade, you keep reaffirming my suspicions that you're actually Blaska. Stop it.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 pm

Walker: No, really...let's keep trying to pass the same bill:

"That's why, in the end, my hope is not just one, but maybe two or three senators, who realize in the end you still have a process that has plenty of steps for environmental protections, clean air, clean land, clean water," Walker said.

He had strong words for those who have thus far blocked the mining measure he supports from moving forward. He said lawmakers are not being realistic if they think they can avoid the issue or pass a different bill.
[...]
Walker said Tuesday that he'd consider calling a special session, bur only if he can find a 17th vote for the bill.

Schultz: Actually agree to compromise and we'll talk:

State Sen. Dale Schultz, R-Richland Center, who is the lone Republican holdout on the bill, said he is still opposed to the finance measure and wasn't consulted on a committee meeting scheduled for Monday.

"I would welcome any company to come here, the people who were, here or any new one," Schultz said. "What I think we need to do is remember that we're not as a Legislature negotiating with one company, we're setting up a law that will be applicable everywhere in this state with every company that ever wants to come here in the future."

The Senate Judiciary Committee plans to meet Monday morning to "discuss plans for future action" on all of the versions of the mining bills. The chair of the committee said it's to "keep the bill alive."

http://www.channel3000.com/politics/306 ... etail.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:47 pm

You know I've been listening to voices on this one and have noticed somethings. 1) The locals in affected communities want this but have concerns that environmental standards will will be slackened to a point that there community may be at risk. 2) There will be revenues due to the public by those who do the extraction, and how these are divided between state and local are up for debate. Infrastructure will have to be provided on the public dime, i.e. roads, rails, schools, etc. 3) A certain national collective of corporate interests have had a mighty hand in the language of the legislation as is stands. Those in control of our current legislature do not seem compelled to back off on this.

Does this sound roughly correct?
David Marshall
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government