MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Boycott 1310 Sponsors of Rush

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Educate us, pj. How does a dude apologize?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Huckleby wrote:Oh my. We have to pretend that protective impulses towards women is completely a thing of past, else be accused of sexism!?

What? Of course not.

But in my lifetime I've seen a significant swing in the supportive discourse from stand-back-li'l-lady paternalism to damn-that-really-isn't-right awareness. So suspecting a weaker-sex slant sounds retro to me.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Meade wrote:Educate us, pj. How does a dude apologize?

Don't be stupid. He said he apologized for his choice of words, not for what he said. He still thinks she's a whore, just should have used different words.

He's not sorry.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Meade wrote:How does a dude apologize?

In Rush's case, I'd recommend seppuku.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Meade wrote:Educate us, pj. How does a dude apologize?

Don't be stupid. He said he apologized for his choice of words, not for what he said. He still thinks she's a whore, just should have used different words.

He's not sorry.

That is also what Romney said, too:
"I'll just say this, which is it's not the language I would have used."
http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-hab ... 16273.html

Tell us, Mitt, what is the politically correct way to say "she's a slut"?
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:13 pm

Meade's on my ignore list, but I suspect he was requesting an apology from mean ol' me. Hey Meade... did you ask your girlfriend if Hitler was a liberal yet?

As to the Rush story, I'm starting to wonder if maybe this is an elaborate retirement dance. Surely Rush is aware that saying "I'm sorry for stooping to their level" is essentially the opposite of an apology. He's on vacation as much as he's on his show these days and he certainly doesn't need the money. Maybe going down in flames will preserve him as a martyr... he can be the ultimate symbol of how the evil leftist media silences brave conservative voices!

It's not too late to hop in the Republican clown car, Rush.

Rush Limbaugh 2012
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:15 pm

DCB wrote:Tell us, Mitt, what is the politically correct way to say "she's a slut"?

How would Mitt Romney know? Ask an expert. Ask Bill Mahler. Or Keith Olberman. Or Ed Shultz. Or James Carville...
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:17 pm

DCB wrote:Tell us, Mitt, what is the politically correct way to say "she's a slut"?

That's easy. A "slut" is anyone who isn't wearing their magic underwear. You only take them off for one reason. Wink, wink.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:18 pm

pjbogart wrote:Hey Meade... did you ask your girlfriend if Hitler was a liberal yet?

What are you talking about? Did I ever say Hitler was a liberal? Show me where I said that.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Meade wrote:

How would Mitt Romney know? Ask an expert. Ask Bill Mahler. Or Keith Olberman. Or Ed Shultz. Or James Carville...

Exactly. Maher called Palin a "cunt" and a "twat". He also donated $1MM to the Chosen One's re-election.

Where's the outrage?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Carville was on the latest Maher show. Unless I missed it, he never apologized for calling Paula Jones "trash".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Meade wrote:Carville was on the latest Maher show. Unless I missed it, he never apologized for calling Paula Jones "trash".

Conservatives biggest mistake is to apologize for stuff like this. The left never apologizes. If anything they become more bombastic. The left's hero Ted Kennedy murdered one woman, overlooked the rape of another and abused countless others, Bubba abused countless women. Pigs like Maher get away with this over and over...
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Ducatista wrote:But in my lifetime I've seen a significant swing in the supportive discourse from stand-back-li'l-lady paternalism to damn-that-really-isn't-right awareness. So suspecting a weaker-sex slant sounds retro to me.

I guess I am arguing at the margins, I agree with you mostly. But there's some paternalism left. Not present in the transcripts, but in the emotions.

There's something particularly unseemly about a 55-year-old, bullying man calling a civic-minded, colleged-aged woman a whore.

If somebody had called me a whore, I would just respond sheepishly, "not so much lately."
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Conservatives biggest mistake is to apologize for stuff like this. The left never apologizes.

With this I can't agree. Wrong is wrong. Live up to your own moral standards whether or not your opponents do. When you fail - own it and then move forward.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Meade wrote:

How would Mitt Romney know?

Since he said "That's not the way I would have said it", that must mean he would have said it some other way.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government