MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Prosser is charged

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Prosser is charged

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:59 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 75425.html

Ethics charge filed against Prosser in the Bradley-Prosser incident.

Friday Surprise indeed -- eight minutes before closing time.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Prosser is charged

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Three sitting SC justices have been charged with ethics violations since 2007. Before that, exactly none.

Ziegler in 2008, Gableman in 2010, and now Prosser in 2012. That's right, all are members of the WMC Caucus in the Supreme Court. The best damn Supreme Court money can buy.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 3ce6c.html

Jessica Vanegeren's report is at the link. Also visit the State Journal's part of the MNI pages for Dee Hall's report -- two good reporters worth a click.

Having read the whole thing, I am of the opinion everybody should recuse himself and herself and allow Justice Crooks, who was the only judge not present for the altercation, to render the decision.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Marshall » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:03 pm

How will we collectively respond? Personally it turns my stomach how far this has gotten out of control. I do not care what side you come down on, this messes with 'our' bedrock in a VERY VERY serious way.
David Marshall
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 pm

David Marshall wrote:How will we collectively respond? Personally it turns my stomach how far this has gotten out of control. I do not care what side you come down on, this messes with 'our' bedrock in a VERY VERY serious way.

People that I know that work with the Wisconsin Supreme Court seem to be in agreement that everyone would be better off if both Abrahamson and Prosser were gone. I haven't met either, but based on the info available, that sounds like a good start.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Taking corporate money out of judicial elections is another good place to start.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:53 pm

Maybe the left needs to figure out how to win over the majority of the people in Wisconsin statewide elections? Prosser and Kloppenberg spent roughly the same amount of money last year. Kloppenberg had a lot of energy behind her. Prosser is not very likable. But the conservative still won the statewide election.

Maybe the Democrats need to stop putting up smug Dane County politicians like Kathleen Falk and realize that there is a much bigger state out there.

Will that happen? Sure doesn't look like it. My bet is Walker will double his margin of victory a few months from now and Dane County progressives will spend the next two years whining that he stole/bought the recall election.

Boo-fucking-hoo.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:15 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Maybe the left needs to figure out how to win over the majority of the people in Wisconsin statewide elections? Prosser and Kloppenberg spent roughly the same amount of money last year. Kloppenberg had a lot of energy behind her. Prosser is not very likable. But the conservative still won the statewide election.

Maybe the Democrats need to stop putting up smug Dane County politicians like Kathleen Falk and realize that there is a much bigger state out there.

Will that happen? Sure doesn't look like it. My bet is Walker will double his margin of victory a few months from now and Dane County progressives will spend the next two years whining that he stole/bought the recall election.

Boo-fucking-hoo.

Maybe you need to see what happens in the next few months before crowing about your victories.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:27 pm

swimmingupstream wrote:Prosser and Kloppenberg spent roughly the same amount of money last year. Kloppenberg had a lot of energy behind her. Prosser is not very likable. But the conservative still won the statewide election.

I would guess that if people are going to split a ticket, one place they are likely to vote for a conservative candidate is in a judicial election.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:45 pm

snoqueen wrote:Taking corporate money out of judicial elections is another good place to start.

Oh yeah. We need to get corp cash OUT of politics overall on any side of the coin. Well said Snoqueen.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:46 am

Prosser plans to ask other justices to recuse selves in discipline case

Embattled Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice David Prosser said Monday he will likely ask other members of the court to recuse themselves from deciding on the disciplinary complaint filed against him last week — an action that, if successful, would appear to kill the case.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

Ann Walsh Bradley said her focus has always been about workplace safety. That was after she charged at Prosser with raised fists and then lied about him putting her in a "chokehold". There was a criminal investigation that found that the "totality of the facts and the circumstances and all of the evidence [...] did not support [...] filing criminal charges."

My own ethics review comes to the conclusion that Ann Walsh Bradley is unfit to sit on the Wisconsin Supreme Court and should step down.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:17 am

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the idea of recusal due to witnessing what actually occurred.

It never occurred to me that hearing someone else's version of an event was better than witnessing it. Unless it's a bad movie of course.

And Meade's ethics review came to the wrong conclusion. No surprise there.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:27 am

My ethics review came to the exact correct conclusion. Why was no ethics charge brought against Bradley? Prosser should waive confidentiality so that the internal records of the Judicial Commission's investigation can be made public - revealing the Commissions's bias and Bradley's deceit.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:31 am

Meade wrote:My ethics review came to the exact correct conclusion. Why was no ethics charge brought against Bradley? Prosser should waive confidentiality so that the internal records of the Judicial Commission's investigation can be made public - revealing the Commissions's bias and Bradley's deceit.

How would you even know if you came to "the exact correct conclusion" or if there was bias or deceit if the records aren't public?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government