MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Goin' fishing, back in July

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Shame on Greater Wisconsin Committee

Postby Rich Schultz » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:22 am

Does shame work on the shameless?

"The emblem displayed at some anti-Walker centers is an outline of Wisconsin rendered as a clenched fist, with a red star on the heel of the hand. Walker’s disproportionately middle-aged adversaries know the red star symbolized murderous totalitarianism, yet they flaunt it as a progressive ornament. Why?"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/ ... story.html
Rich Schultz
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shame on Greater Wisconsin Committee

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:43 am

The situation is so desperate for them they finally had to give up any pretense of having the high ground.

Much like MC Hammer's people in a last ditch effort to revive his career, they looked each other in the eye and agreed:

"We're gonna have to go full thug"
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shame on union thugs

Postby other i » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:26 am

Most of us in this country, in this day, have no idea what real intimidation feels like.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 am

So there is a group of people going out of their way to document certain citizens behavior and then report it to ones neighbors? And Henry has no problem with this? That is very telling. These people are but one small step away from becoming KGB or Stasi members. There is no place for this in a free society.

I have lived this; "We know who you are Comrade and where you live. "We are watching you, and you will (...fill in the blank...) or else! ". Just a friendly reminder from neighbors right? Yeah sure. What a great idea.....
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:53 am

How do we know that these are "union thugs"? They sound a tad clandestine to me, and why would they include a United Steelworkers logo and then claim to be an independent organization? The United Steelworkers aren't shy about their political affiliation and their president regularly appears on the radio supporting Barrett.

And who was it who started making databases with their endless cash? Who started publishing names of people who signed the recall petition? Who's been known in the past to mail confusing information to voters, lying about election dates, eligibility or changes in polling stations?

If this is actually a ploy by Walker supporters, will bdog immediately condemn the corporate thugs?

Recall mailer shows neighbors who voted in 2010 election
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:13 am

pjbogart wrote:
If this is actually a ploy by Walker supporters, will bdog immediately condemn the corporate thugs?

Yes I will. I noted earlier in this thread that some people think that is possible.

If that does turn out to be the case, will Sno still support it 100%?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:38 am

bdog wrote:If that does turn out to be the case, will Sno still support it 100%?

Yes, of course she will. Because snoqueen would feel pride in having people look at her name and see that she voted, personally.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The "12 neighbors" mailer

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:57 am

bdog wrote: I think the people who got the mailing, as well as all the neighbors listed, made contributions to Obama in '08.
I got a mailing but don't recall contributing to Obama in '08.

There's only two people on my mailer listed as having not voted in either of the last two elections. One of them is married and living with a two-time voter. I can't help but wonder if there was a dinner-table argument at 4329 last night.

I don't like this mailer at all, but given the tenor of this election, nothing really surprises me.
Last edited by Prof. Wagstaff on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:58 am

Meade, bdog, Comrade, you're such drama queens.

I've no problem with GOTV efforts. In fact, I'll be canvassing for Barrett this weekend. But I'm not a fan of that mailer, no matter who sent it.

Still: thugs? Exactly how pussy ARE you three?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 am

I'm so pussy Bill Clinton stopped by last night.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 am

Here's what my friend and neighbor, LK, put up on his Facebook:
This isn't 'get out the vote,' it's snooping on your neighbors, prying into their personal business, and creating an atmosphere of suspicion and intimidation. It's one step away from the movie "The Lives of Others," where the East German secret police spy on people who they suspect aren't toeing the party line.

People have a right to be apolitical and live their lives the way they want. Just how low will the anti-Walker crowd go?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 am

Meade, were you also upset by the partisan use of recall petition names and teachers' salaries? I don't remember you decrying those practices when they were discussed on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:14 am

Ducatista wrote:Exactly how pussy ARE you three?

I'm so pussy I provided the cigars AND i read aloud from my copy of Leaves of Grass!
“Resist little, obey much”
“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain recall petition signatures.”
“I have learned that to be with those I like is enough as long as we feel the inner safety of being in the Madison progressive bubble”
“Re-examine all you have been told...
Dismiss what insults your union leaders.”
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:15 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Meade, were you also upset by the partisan use of recall petition names and teachers' salaries? I don't remember you decrying those practices when they were discussed on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong -- you don't remember.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:19 am

If I've learned any lesson from history, it's that just before evil, murderous forces seize control of a country, they always send out cards introducing you to your neighbors. I think everyone's concern here is 100% warranted.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government