MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Forming a Wisconsin LLC

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Forming a Wisconsin LLC

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Fellow Job Creators... ;)

Does anybody here have experience forming a Wisconsin LLC? I filled out the online application, and got a message saying it had been filed. Is that it? Am I an LLC? Or do I need to wait for some sort of certificate or notice from the state?
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Forming a Wisconsin LLC

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm

I did it years ago before you could do it on line. There wasn't a lot to it -- I just had to answer a few questions and pay the fee. So I'd say yes, you're done.

Here's the relevant law.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statut ... 183/I/0108

Subchapter II tells what it takes to set up an LLC -- see 183.0201 and 183.0202 in the link. It doesn't appear to amount to much more than telling them who you are and how to find you, but read it for yourself. 183.0111 says the application becomes effective at the close of business on the day it is received by the department unless another time is specified, by my reading.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:35 pm

God, both of yous are evil corporations? OMG!!! Why do you want to kill your customers and poison our drinking water and want dirty air?!?!?!?!?!??!?

OMG!!!! You corporations are so evil to workers!!!!

OMG!!!!!
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:55 pm

A corporation is nothing but an entitlement. What's not to like about entitlements? ;)
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Here is myy favorite Founding Fathers quote on corporations (and he wasn't talking about LLCs):

"I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country."
-Thomas Jefferson
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Congrats on your LLC, Yuppie. Did you get an email back from the state? I always renew mine online and get a verification message. Good luck to you. Sometimes you have to hire yourself because the big corps can't see you!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks!

I did a search at the state gummint website, and found my LLC! So, I exist.

Actually, I have a full time day job with a big corporation, and the LLC is just for the tiny little craft business that I operate in my basement.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm

Cornbread wrote:No, I'm not going to bother quoting your response. Instead,

Enjoy this little ditty all about you.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:08 am

Did you get an employer number from the state? That seems to be the important thing, even if you're the sole employee.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Cornbread » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:49 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:A corporation is nothing but an entitlement. What's not to like about entitlements? ;)

Sorry I've not gotten back to you and the corporate squirrel here about this, but I've been adventurously busy in a mostly boring way.

So, can you or this board's corporate squirrel please explain why someone would want to form an evil corporation? Ya'll aren't being tax cheats are ya?

I've never liked bruce springsteen as I've never thought he could sing and his dancing makes him look like a spastic white guy, convulsing.
Why do I say such things?

Bruce Springsteen is a man of the people. He stands up for the little guy. A regular blue-collar Joe. A union man. A bona fide working-class hero.

And, when he’s not busy being all that... he’s a tax-dodging liberal hypocrite worth over $200 million who pretends to be a farmer to save hundreds of thousands of dollars on his property taxes that would have otherwise funded the welfare programs he pretends to care about.

That’s right. Mr. “Union Man, Blue Collar” Springsteen is a total fraud, as I explain in my brand-new book Hollywood Hypocrites: The Devastating Truth About Obama’s Biggest Backers.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/03/12/b ... ng-farmer/

are you watching the hockey game? They "fight like white guys". :lol:
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Detritus wrote:

He seems not to have clicked, the wanking gibbon.

(punctuational ambiguities deliberate)

If you're doing a craft business, consider getting a tax number so you can buy supplies wholesale and write them off as expenses.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Detritus wrote:

He seems not to have clicked, the wanking gibbon.

I can only assume he has not yet learned how (to click, I mean).
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:43 pm

If I get an employer number, then I'll have to give my employees free birth control, those sluts.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:02 am

The article which Cornhole links to notes that Springsteen pays $138,000 in property taxes on his home. Hard to call that tax avoidance. Article then claims he pays only $4,639 on a 200-acre farm because he "has a part-time farmer come and grow a few tomatoes (organic, of course) and has horses," and thus qualifies for a state tax reduction program for ag uses. Note, however, that the article never quantifies "a few tomatoes," or the number of horses. Pretty sure that if Springsteen were the "tax cheat" that Cornhole claims, Chris Christie's Revenue Dept. would be all over it. But I guess that's what you get when you link to the HumanEvents website.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:48 am

Cornbread wrote:
WestSideYuppie wrote:A corporation is nothing but an entitlement. What's not to like about entitlements? ;)

Sorry I've not gotten back to you and the corporate squirrel here about this, but I've been adventurously busy in a mostly boring way.

I noticed.

So, can you or this board's corporate squirrel please explain why someone would want to form an evil corporation? Ya'll aren't being tax cheats are ya?

First, just a minor correction: An LLC is a "limited liability company," an entity with the same tax implications as a sole proprietorship or general partnership, but with the liability limitation of a corporation.

From a tax standpoint, the profits from my business flow directly into my personal income tax return, which means that my business effectively pays taxes at personal income tax rates, and I'm not in a low bracket. Far from avoiding taxes, I'm getting hit pretty hard.

In case you really did just fall off the turnip truck, liability limitation is the primary reason why people form corporations, though there may be other reasons having to do with taxation and regulation as well.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government