MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Recall Results put Romney in Lead in Wisconsin

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Recall Results put Romney in Lead in Wisconsin

Postby nutria » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Earthling wrote:When government decides to start increasing it's programs and spending during a recessionary period it puts strain on the economy, providing superficial relief to those who are unemployed in the form of short term unemployment benefits. This does nothing to address the long term financial ability for those recieving unemployment benefits to attain ongoing employment. Merely compensates them enough to get by until they can find employment.

OK, so what does promote long-term financial stability for the unemployed? If there isn't any increase in demand, then there are no new jobs, and simply stopping benefits is not going to change that. It will likely have the opposite effect.

Earthling wrote:Is umemployment compensation nescessary? Yes. Does it need to last 2 years? No. Does everyone who qualifies for unemployment benefits truly deserve them? I say no, but I'm sure you'll explain to me why the guy who bounces from job to job, staying just long enough to cash in deserves that benefit just the same as someone who is laid off after many years of employment.

Not only is this a strawman, it has no bearing on the question at hand. Why don't you add that Obama is from Kenya while you're at it? Sheesh.
nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Recall Results put Romney in Lead in Wisconsin

Postby 7 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Earthling wrote:
The economy is a cyclical phenomenon. Always has been and it always will be. When government decides to start increasing it's programs and spending during a recessionary period it puts strain on the economy, providing superficial relief to those who are unemployed in the form of short term unemployment benefits. This does nothing to address the long term financial ability for those recieving unemployment benefits to attain ongoing employment. Merely compensates them enough to get by until they can find employment.

calling the 2008 crash a cyclical economic phenomenon gives you zero credibility. There are specific reasons for the artificial booms. Most of them caused by criminal behavior (so much for the self regulating mechanisms of the "free" market).
Admit it, you have no proof of this "strain" that government spending puts on the economy.
You have taken a complex issue and painted it over with a Tea Party/Republican talking point that has been proven wrong again and again.
We are now an economy of consumers since we sent most of our manufacturing jobs out of the country. No jobs no money, no money no consumers no demand, no demand no jobs. Get the downward spiral? This isn't so hard.
Since the private sector is sitting on all this cash and we haven't been taxing the "job creators" where are these jobs? What are these "long term solutions" please enlighten me. Perhaps you can get some private company to put up the cash to build a bridge thats ready to fall down. good luck. Or better yet, I'll build the fucking thing and then I don't have to let you cross over into reality where you clearly don't reside.
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government