MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Voter ID litigation money is coming from...where?

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm

So not having an unexpired drivers license is like taking a loaded gun on an airplane. I'm amazed at how your mind works (or more properly, how it doesn't work).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:20 pm

DCB wrote:The DOJ and Milwaukee County prosecutors charged 11 felons for voting, six people for voter registration misconduct and two people for voting twice, according to a DOJ statement.

And that's just the ones caught.
Sort of like judging the amount of illegals CAUGHT sneaking across our non-existent border and saying, "yup, that's all there was, look". :lol:

And they caught all of them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Violar

[having to have an ID] would have prevented many otherwise legitimate voters from participating.

And your proof of this is?

Violar
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So not having an unexpired drivers license is like taking a loaded gun on an airplane.

If someone has an expired de facto national identification card (state drivers license), then I guess people do need to have a form of ID?
Or did you just do a duck and dodge again?

An expired DL can still be used as a valid form of identification for up to one year after the expiration date, though one cannot use it for the purposes of driving.

I think I lost you on the comparing the world your mother lived in (who allegedly never had any form if ID) and the world today, ya know, 2012.

I'm trying to help ya Henry as you seem to be good intentioned, but ya gotta give me something more to work with........ ;)

I'm amazed at how your mind works (or more properly, how it doesn't work).

Ya gotsta hep a [non] brother [of yours] out! :D
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Cornbread wrote:
david cohen wrote:Current voting laws adhere to the State of Wisconsin Constitution.

No wonder the new democrat party puts forth nobody but lawyers for their political leaders. :roll:

So why all the leftist hand wringing over Judge Prosser and wanting him tossed out so they could decide on the constitutionality of the national "voter ID" law?

You don't need to know anything more than that.

OK OK OK.....I'll submit.....

don't be an obtuse tool. Are you suggesting that we stop following the State Constitution?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:25 pm

david cohen wrote:Are you suggesting that we stop following the State Constitution?

OK, I'll bite (though you'll probably wind up boring me).

What are you talking about?
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:26 pm

Cornbread wrote:
david cohen wrote:Are you suggesting that we stop following the State Constitution?

OK, I'll bite (though you'll probably wind up boring me).

What are you talking about?

Cornie:
Amazing. You're not even aware of the constitutional limits on legislation implementing the right to suffrage. We're not surprised. But here's the text for your thoughtful consideration.

ARTICLE III.
SUFFRAGE
Electors. SECTION 1. [As amended Nov. 1882, Nov. 1908,
Nov. 1934; repealed April 1986; created April 1986] Every
United States citizen age 18 or older who is a resident of an election district in this state is a qualified elector of that district.
Implementation. SECTION 2. Laws may be enacted:
(1) Defining residency.
(2) Providing for registration of electors.
(3) Providing for absentee voting.
(4) Excluding from the right of suffrage persons:
(a) Convicted of a felony, unless restored to civil rights.
(b) Adjudged by a court to be incompetent or partially
incompetent, unless the judgment specifies that the person is
capable of understanding the objective of the elective process or
the judgment is set aside.
(5) Subject to ratification by the people at a general election,
extending the right of suffrage to additional classes. [1983 J.R.
30, 1985 J.R. 14, vote April 1986]
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:04 am

Stu Levitan, any follow up on those election day robo-calls you reported on? http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=54930 Evidence? Facts?

Or by "confirmed" did you mean that the rumor of GOP voter suppression had indeed been confirmed to be rumor and that you were happily doing your part to spread the rumor?

If it was in fact only a rumor, will you acknowledge that rumor-mongering is despicable and should be prosecuted?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:08 am

Let's wait to see what the GAB says, as they have received complaints about those robocalls. You are very impatient, grasshopper.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:58 am

Stu Levitan's answering of my questions is not dependent on what the GAB says or doesn't say. You are very impudent, Mr. Henry.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Meade wrote: You are very impudent, Mr. Henry.

Go to the mirror, boy.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bert Ernie » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:05 pm

Meade wrote:Stu Levitan's answering of my questions is not dependent on what the GAB says or doesn't say. You are very impudent, Mr. Henry.

"Answer me. ANSWER ME!!"

I guess if Meade poses a question, he'll sit and kick and scream until he gets the response he feels he is due. From this cat's perspective, he is getting JUST that response.
Bert Ernie
Forum Addict

Postby DCB » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Where is the money come? in part, from the taxpayers.
State Reps. Robin Vos (R-Burlington) Bob Ziegelbauer (I-Manitowoc) violated state ethic laws by accepting free legal counsel related to their efforts to join a lawsuit over the state’s Jim Crow-era voter identification legislation, according to a complaint filed today by One Wisconsin Now with the state’s Government Accountability Board.

Who is providing this 'free' legal counsel?
Two lawyers filed on behalf of the duo, including a lawyer from Michael Best & Frederich and a private-practice attorney from Washington, DC. MBF is also the firm that provided scandal-plagued Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Mike Gableman with free legal advice that also resulted in ethics complaints. MBF has received over $400,000 in fees for assisting Vos and the Republicans in the drawing of the state’s redistricting maps.

That $400,000 in fees came from the taxpayers. Quid pro quo.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:32 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Cornie:
Amazing. You're not even aware of the constitutional limits on legislation implementing the right to suffrage.

I think what's truly amazing is you being amazed that someone actually differs from your worldview....and interpretation of the state's constitution. I think there are more than just lil ol me that disagree with you.

I'm not too up on gobbledygook, but am surprised that word got by the spellchecker. So I think what you're alluding to is that by having someone show a common form of ID in order to vote for that person's vote allocation, it has created another class of people.

From someone smarter than me be:
“Courts have allowed legislatures to have more leeway in setting those rules” of election law, said Esenberg, who also serves as president and general counsel of the Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty. The group is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, that files litigation in "the areas of property rights, the freedom to earn a living, voting rights, regulation, taxation, school choice, and religious freedom," according to its website.

Esenberg said just because a law makes it marginally more difficult to vote doesn't mean that it has to pass the rigorous scrutiny of the state constitution. If that were so, Esenberg said, voting on a weekday could be construed as difficult for some people, as would the fact that Wisconsin requires some level of residency identification for voter registration.
http://www.wisconsinreporter.com/whats- ... ter-id-law

So we'll just have to see where this goes, especially with the State of WI GIVING away identification cards to people that need them and for some reason, suddenly appeared in this world in the year of our Lord 2012, a wisconsin resident and old enough to vote.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Not my Lord.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Not my Lord.

So you must be mayan?

No need to fear Stu, it's just how the world came about. I don't hate the words in english that dominate technology and science just because they are in english. If it weren't for the europeans, we might indeed be living in caves, using the mayan calender, and slaughtering hundreds of humans in a ritual sacrifice in order to ensure a good crop of maize. ;)
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government