MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
shriners
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A shining example of fiscal conservatism

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

A shining example of fiscal conservatism

Postby DCB » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:54 am

All of us wacky leftists know that so-called 'fiscal conservatives' are really spend-thrifts. And the best examples of their hypocrisy is always in the military.

The second best examples are usually in transportation:

A year after state workers saw cuts to their total compensation, the state Department of Transportation has put together a program to give some of its private-sector consultants a 2% boost in pay.

State Sen. Julie Lassa (D-Stevens Point) said the move was unfair because using consultants for engineering work already costs more than using state employees.

A 2004 report by the DOT found state engineers cost 18% less than consultants on average, and the state has continued to find its own engineers are cheaper in subsequent reviews.

The differences in costs show up in cost-benefit analyses the department must perform under state law before outsourcing certain work.

The law requiring cost-benefit analyses was approved in 2006 and written by Cowles and then-Rep. Mark Gottlieb (R-Port Washington).

Gottlieb is now serving as Walker's secretary of transportation and in that role supported exempting DOT from performing the cost-benefit analyses.

Everybody has to share the sacrifice. Except the private consutlants. Its only fair, because the government employees are overpaid anyway. Even if they're not.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A shining example of fiscal conservatism

Postby juanton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:46 pm

I may have to go private again. Nothing like the good ole days of Tommy T. and Scott McCallum with their hiring freezes and contractors paid out of the master lease fund.

It was pretty cool to have my account rep take me to fancy schmancy lunch joints. It was also pretty cool to make almost 20K more a year. Then there was the tuition reimbursement. Way generous 401K. Interest free loans. Excellent insurance.

I was living pretty high on the hog back when I was a state contractor. Thank you fellow tax payers.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:16 pm

I hear ya.

Nothing says "take your time" and "close enough is close enough" better than a government contract job. There's zero incentive to economize once they get the contract, every bidder already wrote the fattest estimate they thought they could get away with, and everyone knows in most cases nobody's watching.

Only one thing better: "insurance job."

Working in the private sector too long can be habit forming in the worst ways.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:55 pm

The gravy train sure does look inviting again.

I think my hourly rate was about $70 back in 2004. I have recently witnessed rates more than double that getting paid out for consultant work.

That's at least $140.00/hr, you conservative idiots. Is all the hate of public employees worth the gouging these private consultant firms are about to inflict upon this state?
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:37 pm

DCB wrote:All of us wacky leftists know that so-called 'fiscal conservatives' are really spend-thrifts.

Leftists would think so due to their different spending priorities.
The rise to a critical mass of the Tea Party put the 'corporate republicans' on notice--this is why they've been given the boot when possible and the rest of those flapping their jibs but acting otherwise, have been put on notice.

I love the Tea Party. :D

And the best examples of their hypocrisy is always in the military.

Yup, good for you and other (affluent) leftists.
Think of why the US Military is where they are as you type your BS on the internet, work at your cush govt/union jobs, eat food and drink, turn on a light, live in a house/apt, heat your unit, take a bus, drive, wear shoes, use any plastic, etc.

Unless one lives in a hut on government land in the UP and traps for a living, your lifeblood is "OIL".

OK natural gas too.....or the solid version, coal.....

Everybody has to share the sacrifice.

WOW!!!!!
Thanks for sharing that talking point SPAM of the new democrat party. I never would have heard that expression if I didn't visit fossil fuel driven electronic internet bulletin boards, read any newspapers, magazines, or of course, use fossil fuels to use my electricity to watch TV and see that BS there....

Yup, it's all a plot, by a 12 (or 13? 23?) people out to run the world!!!!!!

I think in the 'old days' it was just three monkeys. Now it's just one leftist.....

Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:01 pm

juanton wrote:That's at least $140.00/hr, you conservative idiots.

That's fine. Make it $210/hr. Speaking on behalf of all conservative idiots, as you call us - just give us our tax money's worth. Can you do that? If not, we'll find someone who can.

Is all the hate of public employees worth [it]?

But we don't hate public employees. In fact, we love public employees who give us our tax money's worth. Those who don't give us our money's worth need to move on.

The recall vote two weeks ago was not against public employees. It was a vote against the special interests that seek to preserve exorbitant benefits at the expense of the public.

Those special interests were the public employee unions' corporate administrators who, for decades, have used their power and money to elect politicians who would continually dish them more and more power and money and benefits.

State and local governments now have no choice but to confront their unaffordable commitments, which were made when public employee unions, with their power and money could get whatever they wanted or else they would crush the politicians who wouldn't play along - a legal racket that is now ending.

You may need to make an adjustment to the new reality.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:09 pm

The recall vote two weeks ago was not against public employees. It was a vote against the special interests that seek to preserve exorbitant benefits at the expense of the public.

I love this: you would rather use public money to pay $140/hr to a consultant than pay good civil service benefits.

No wonder you don't run a business.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:14 pm

I ran a very successful business for more than 20 years before selling it. Thanks for your interest.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:30 pm

Meade wrote:The recall vote two weeks ago was not against public employees. It was a vote against the special interests that seek to preserve exorbitant benefits at the expense of the public.

Exorbitant benefits would have to exist in the first place to be preserved.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:

I love this: you would rather use public money to pay $140/hr to a consultant than pay good civil service benefits.

No wonder you don't run a business.

No wonder you still have to. Love it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Sorry, too late. I sold mine years ago too.

Then I became a consultant.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government