MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Monday, July 14, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

I am sick of...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: I am sick of...

Postby Comrade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 pm

What makes you think it would be only job creators that run?
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The Tea Party has become the front for big money interests that support conservative causes. Think koch

Henry, may I call you Hank? Please don't spam this thread with links to leftist gOOgle website/searches.
Thanks! :D

Oh, and your lil zoo still sucks. Grass it over and make it a frisbee golf course or something equally as useful.
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Whatever you say, Meade.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Comrade wrote:If you want to get the money out, then term limits for Congress would be a good start.

I used to think that, but always wondered what the world would be like if someone got into office that was OK w/being a one term prezzie. Ooops! We gots one.

If zerobams gets 'recalled' in Nov, just watch the fascist pig's "executive orders" to flow "fast and furious". Heck, that manchild isn't even there and it already is issuing them, cancelling out congress--that whole balance of powers thing.

Liberal Fascism....such a long history.....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Comrade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 pm

I was actually referring to term limits for Congress since the president already has them. I don't therefore see how your concerns are valid in that regard. Congress has no such power as executive order.

Conversely, they might not be so inclined to exempt themselves from the laws they pass if they know they will have to return to society and live under their laws like the rest of us do.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby pjbogart » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:33 pm

How would term limits prevent corporate donors from corrupting the legislative process? Or, more importantly, isn't there also a danger that only corporately hand-picked politicians would be able to reach Congress even for a first term?

It seems silly to me to complain about money's influence on our government and then try to correct the problem by introducing term limits. It's not that there's no nexus between the two issues, but they aren't necessarily related in every instance. Sometimes politicians keep winning because they're good people or they have great name recognition. It may very well be that long serving politicians are more likely to be corrupt, but it isn't necessarily so.

If the problem is the money, go after the money. I still like Thom Hartmann's idea of making politicians wear NASCAR suits embroidered with their campaign donor's logos. That way when they're giving a speech, you'll know who wrote it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I think putting term limits on senators and representatives would pretty much guarantee they'd plan to go straight to the private sector and become lobbyists when their term(s) were up, so they would pander excessively to their favorite lobbies while in office knowing they were picking their next employer.

Maybe that's what happens anyway.

If they had to face the public and get re-elected repeatedly, they might (just might) be more responsive to the public.

At least I think this was the general idea when the system was set up. Maybe by now it's so quaint as to be laughable.

So I'd go with the NASCAR suits.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cornbread » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Comrade wrote:I was actually referring to term limits for Congress since the president already has them.

Got it.
I used to be against it for congress, but have since changed my mind and OK with it for them. I mean it's not like they do a lot of work there anyway..... ;)

Conversely, they might not be so inclined to exempt themselves from the laws they pass if they know they will have to return to society and live under their laws like the rest of us do.

Good point. I'd also ditch their retirement and health care packages they have too, so even if they're in there for 1-2 terms, they still don't get them for life. It's not like they're teachers or something....
Cornbread
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government