MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
pax
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

A bi-partisan voter's local choices for Aug 14 primary

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

A bi-partisan voter's local choices for Aug 14 primary

Postby ArnoldHarris » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:51 pm

I almost always support conservatives for federal elections, and for the top jobs in Wisconsin government. But in consideration of the fact that local and state issues often require different or even opposite political approaches to those i think vital at other levels of government, I want to commend the records of and recommend for office the following Democrats, all of whom have fine records of achievement in Dane County government and/or the State Assembly:

1) Sondy Pope-Roberts for WI State Assembly 80th District.

Sondy, who represents our part of western Dane County, has been one of the most thoughtful members of the State Assembly in recent years. Sondy has diligently and successfully served western Dane County in the State Assembly for 10 years. Her work as been substantial and successful, especially in terms of her experiences in advocating long overdue reforms in the way public education has been funded in this state. In her own words:

“We need a system that acknowledges poverty, guarantees a minimum amount of aid per student and removes the property tax shell games politicians of both parties have played the past 15 years. Wisconsin needs a system that guarantees a high-quality education for all and also protects the middle-class homeowner from constantly increasing property taxes.”

As middle-class homeowners in western Dane County, both of us have long felt the need for enactment of exactly the policy Sondy has been working for.

Sondy's candidacy has been endorsed by most of the Dane County leadership of her party. We think she also will have the support of most independent voters and not a few Republicans who know her fine record. Because good government goes beyond partisanship.

Her key opponent in the Democratic Party primary election next week is Joe Wineke, who long ago had been elected to the State Assembly, then took over Russ Feingold's seat in the State Senate when Feingold was elected to the US Senate in 1992. A few years later, he gave up that seat for an unsuccessful run for the US Senate seat won by Tammy Baldwin late in the 1990s. Then, following a period of time as chairman of the state Democratic Party, he competed in the primary election for Dane County Executive in 2011, but again lost the election. Many Democrats I have talked with resent the fact that Wineke is attempting to take Sondy's seat in the State Assembly. I agree with them. Wineke's time as an elected public official ended 12 years ago.

2. Brett Hulsey, who district boundaries in the State Assembly have shifted, is running for re-election but for the 78th District. He has a fine record of achievement, both on the Dane County Board of Supervisors and in recent years, on the State Assembly.

3. Dianne Hesselbein, and 4. Melissa Sargent, have both served Dane County well as members of the county board of supervisors, and show evidence of being well-prepared to do as well representing, respectively, the 79th and 48th districts.

5. Scott McDonell for Dane County Clerk. Scott has provided major leadership in recent years in chairing the Dane County Board of Supervisors. His achievements include streamlining the deliberative sessions of the board, getting much more real work done in shorter meetings, among other considerations, and helping both Kathleen Falk and Joe Parisi to manage a county budget increasingly strapped for funding. His are the leadership qualities that will enable the Dane County Clerk's office to carry out all its state-defined functions with a minimum of confusion and none of the problems we saw in the past year in the office of the clerk of Waukesha County because of the well-publicized incompetence of the office holder there.

6. Dave DeFelice for Dane County Treasurer. Dave has been one of the brighter and more thoughtful members of the Dane County Board of Supervisors, and has a background more than suitable to handle the duties of the county treasurer.
---
None of the above will sway me to vote for other than Governor Mitt Romney for President of the United States, and hopefully, for Governor Tommy G Thompson for the United States Senate.

But in a spirit of bipartisanship, I feel obligated to support for local office and/or local representation in the state legislature, of the best of the Democrats.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI
ArnoldHarris

Re: A bi-partisan voter's local choices for Aug 14 primary

Postby Madsci » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

I prefer the candidate Charles Uphoff for the State Assembly 80th District. He is actually seems more progressive than either Pope-Roberts or Wineke and has pledged to spend only $1000 on the election. This means he will not be littering my mailbox with political junk mail every few days nor will he be doing robo-calls. Campaign finance reform needs to start now. $$ is poisoning our elections.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: A bi-partisan voter's local choices for Aug 14 primary

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

If a single voter considers himself to be bi-partisan, he ought to see a shrink.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government