MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Tommy vs Tammy

Postby condor0523 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:09 pm

Game on!

Tommy's got a plan -- Tammy has a plan -- but we never see them -- time to call them out and show the plan.

Did Tommy say God backs the Republicans? The rhetoric has started and skeletons will come out of the closet.

Anything coming from Tammy's camp? Just asking?
condor0523

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:53 pm

I think I might enjoy this race more than the presidential.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:03 am

I think a bit of congratulations is in order for Wisconsin Republicans. Several high profile races around the country have seen the superior candidate pushed out by Tea Party money, but Wisconsin Republicans stuck to their guns and nominated Tommy Thompson. While you might not have guessed it from his victory speech, I sincerely doubt that Tommy will go to Washington and be a rubber stamp for whatever hare-brained idea comes out of the House, so I guess that means you've done us all a favor.

It's a rare occasion when I say, "I'll be voting for the Democrat, but I can live with the Republican."
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby illrunifyouchaseme » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 am

I'm a proud, bleeding heart liberal, but I completely agree with what pjbogart just said.
I'll still vote and campaign for Tammy, but can tolerate Tommy. But I still think it would be really lame (and un-representative) of Wisconsin to have two, white male Republican senators. In the end, I doubt they'd represent me very well.
illrunifyouchaseme

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:17 am

pjbogart wrote: Several high profile races around the country have seen the superior candidate pushed out by Tea Party money, but Wisconsin Republicans stuck to their guns and nominated Tommy Thompson.

Horse hockey. Thompson won ONLY because three Tea Party candidates were dividing the winger vote. TT got, what, 33% of the vote or something?

I told myself I didn't care who won Republican primary. But when I woke up and saw Thompson won, my heart sunk. Tammy is going to get wiped by Thompson. She had a puncher's chance against a right winger.

BTW, it would not comfort me one bit if Jesus Christ won the Senate seat as a Republican. Anybody paying attention sees the Republicans are voting 100% as a bloc. Another Republican vote in the Senate is another Republican vote, and TT has already reconfigured himself as a Tea PArty Team Player.

Sly just noted that Tommy & Tammy have one thing in common: a love for the ladies.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 am

I'm just glad Hovde's stash of cash couldn't buy him the nod. That dude creeps me out.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:06 am

Stomach wrote:I'm just glad Hovde's stash of cash couldn't buy him the nod. That dude creeps me out.

yes, he does seem very creepy

maybe Tammy could have beat him in a popularity contest.

In the sad state of our politics, Hovde's voting record would be nearly indistinguishable from Thompson's.

Well, maybe climate will change in next 6 years and I will be glad to have the less sinister Thompson represent WI. Maybe pigs will fly.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am

I voted for Tommy.

Partly because I don't agree with party based primaries.

But mainly in looking at which election will effect my community the most, it was clear that the Republican Senatorial contest had the greatest opportunity for affect.

I don't believe Tommy will be a republican rubber stamp, he as a Senator will be very different than Hovde would be. But I do believe that there wouldn't be that much difference between candidates for the 2nd District, Clerk, or Treasurer.

In the end I will vote for Tammy.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am

Tommy has aged into a classic caricature of a republican political boss, in my opinion. Just missing the pin-stripe suit and cigar. I have a hard time listening to the guy without chuckling, but I guess he's made the most of his personality quirks. Kind of an anti-Ryan - coarse around the edges, lacking eloquence, not too easy on the eyes...wouldn't be confused as a leading intellect for the Republican party.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:00 am

I assume that we've heard the last of Hovde now. He'll find another rich-guy hobby, like Olympic horse prancing, and leave running for office to other rich people. I hope this is the end of the line for Neumann, too, who has now demonstrated an inability to win election several times--but that's probably too much to ask.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:04 am

Goodbye Tammy. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Pocan has got to be more effective than TB ever was. On a scale of 1-10, a 1 will be more effective than Tammy was.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:43 am

doppel wrote:Goodbye Tammy. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out. Pocan has got to be more effective than TB ever was. On a scale of 1-10, a 1 will be more effective than Tammy was.

Why makes you say that, doppel? A specific gripe, or just that she's a Democrat?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Too many people making predictions in this race without any idea what Tammy's campaign looks like.

But the question I have in my head today is how many Obama voters will also vote for Thompson vs. Romney voters who will vote for Baldwin?

I'm not sure if there's any significance there at all, but I have to think the split tickets go to Thompson.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:54 pm

Tammy is percieved as a leftist, meaning the most liberal of liberals.
Tommy is percieved as a moderate Republican, the last of dying breed.

I don't see how Tammy possibly overcomes such a headwind in garnering swing voters. She is perhaps more energetic, a better debator.

It is interesting that Tommy setup BadgerCare and probably agrees with Obamacare. Tammy is a healthcare expert. I hope Tammy points out the cynical shifts in Tommy's positions, if only for entertainment purposes.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:24 pm

pjbogart wrote:I think a bit of congratulations is in order for Wisconsin Republicans. Several high profile races around the country have seen the superior candidate pushed out by Tea Party money, but Wisconsin Republicans stuck to their guns and nominated Tommy Thompson. While you might not have guessed it from his victory speech, I sincerely doubt that Tommy will go to Washington and be a rubber stamp for whatever hare-brained idea comes out of the House, so I guess that means you've done us all a favor.

That's what they said about Romney.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government