MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Tommy vs Tammy

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Tommy vs Tammy

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:35 pm

I had it on while I was doing chores. I thought she looked a little stilted and Tommy looked like a cadaver.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm curious to hear people's predictions about the outcome of this race. From what I can tell, Tammy's been doing better than I expected. Are there any more debates, or was this one the last?
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Mad Howler wrote:I know I am being shallow here as this was classic Tommy. But what is going on in his head when the pronunciation comes out as ... "We Umericams"?

Yeah, rumor has it that the Elroy water tower used to be filled with scotch.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:05 pm

kurt_w wrote:I'm curious to hear people's predictions about the outcome of this race. From what I can tell, Tammy's been doing better than I expected. Are there any more debates, or was this one the last?

I wrote Tammy off from the get-go, so I guess I'm the naysayer in the bunch. It's not so much that I thought Tommy was strong and Tammy was weak as I thought that the case against Tammy was kind of a canned campaign. Liberal lesbian lawyer from Madison vs. Harley ridin' Packer fan from small town Wisconsin. She couldn't possibly win that, could she?

Well, it turns out she could. I think her strategy of painting Tommy as an out of touch Washington insider who went to work as a lobbyist for the very companies he oversaw during the Bush Administration had some real legs. I think that theme really resonated with voters, more so than I would have guessed. If you asked Tammy a question about farm subsidies, she'd likely reply that Tommy cut a sweetheart deal with drug companies. Of course, Tommy's been pretty much a one-trick pony in this race as well. If you watched the debate, you know that Tammy's just an out-of-touch liberal who positively loves raising taxes.

Meh, the whole thing is pretty predictable and I thought they both seemed stumbly, but Tammy definitely came off as more mature and Tommy came off as more aggressive. How that impacts voters is for the polls to decide.

My prediction? Tammy has the reins, and the fact that Wisconsin seems to have faded as a legitimate battleground has been to her benefit. SuperPACS have poured some money into Tommy's effort, but the Romney campaign needs to focus on more realistic and valuable battlegrounds like Florida and Ohio. I don't think they've written off Wisconsin, but they've perhaps de-prioritized it a bit.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm turning sixty-five next year. Issues surrounding Medicare are important for me.

U.S. Senate candidate Tommy Thompson acknowledged Friday that he doesn't know whether his latest plan to change Medicare will save recipients or the federal government any money.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:02 am

U.S. Senate candidate Tommy Thompson acknowledged Friday that he doesn't know whether his latest plan to change Medicare will save recipients or the federal government any money.

A politician told the truth?

Tommy may be the real deal afterall.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:48 pm

bdog wrote:

A politician told the truth?

Tommy may be the real deal afterall.

From the same article:

Asked how much the plan would cost, Thompson initially said the Congressional Budget Office had evaluated his plan and "it has been projected that it would save money." He later acknowledged that the nonpartisan CBO had not evaluated the plan.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:04 pm

pjbogart wrote: I wrote Tammy off from the get-go, so I guess I'm the naysayer in the bunch. It's not so much that I thought Tommy was strong and Tammy was weak as I thought that the case against Tammy was kind of a canned campaign. Liberal lesbian lawyer from Madison vs. Harley ridin' Packer fan from small town Wisconsin. She couldn't possibly win that, could she?

Ya, I gave Tammy zero chance of winning, none at all. I still think Tammy is a weak candidate, despite the fact I love her to death. What I didn't see coming was how crusty Tommy had become. Guess I should have thought more about his, uhhh, interesting and brief presidential run.

Amother factor is that I think some like seeing WI as a purple state. A right wing governor and one right wing senator might be enough right wing for some people's plates.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:23 pm

An interesting article about the senate race here, from David Weigel. One of the more optimistic things I've read in a while.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:00 pm

I think being gay has become broadly acceptable among voters, and it may even be a slight asset politically. I base that largely on attitudes of conservatives online. It is a mistake to treat support for gay marriage as a litmus test of gay acceptance, there are many social conservatives who oppose gay marriage but are comfortable with gays.

Some on the right-wing have been trying to make hay out of that video of Tammy dancing with Wonder Woman at a gay pride event.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqGufzTdtSw

I expect that video is a plus among persuadable voters. WI people are not made of stone.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 am

Tommy must be desperate. "Tammy doesn't fetishize the 9/11 victims enough".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:50 am

Baldwin, in 2006:
“Mr. Speaker, on the fifth anniversary of the worst attack on American soil, my Republican colleagues have disgracefully politicized what should have been a solemn and sincere resolution. This week we are mourning the tragic loses of innocent lives as well as commemorating the unsurpassed heroism that was on display that day.

“We are expressing our gratitude to our Nation’s law enforcement officers for their tireless dedication to make our country safer; and we are reaffirming our Nation’s resolve to combat terrorism and secure our homeland. But rather than offering a bipartisan resolution that unites us on this solemn occasion, the Republican leadership converted the bill into an endorsement of the PATRIOT Act, punitive immigration bills, and other highly controversial measures, which many of my constituents oppose.

“This bill was cynically transformed from a memorial resolution to an endorsement of President Bush’s failed policies. The Republicans show enormous disrespect to the 9/11 victims and families by playing election year politics with something as solemn as the fifth anniversary of 9/11; I will vote against the bill.”
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Looks like debate is on channel 27 WKOW at 8PM. I didn't see it on schedual yesterday, thought it would be another friday night of Honey Boo Boo reruns.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:08 pm

I think Tommy was on his game and cleaned Tammy's clock.

No, that is certainly too far. But Tommy has moved the needle in his direction, I fear.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:14 pm

At least Tommy lied with a smile this time, and maybe that's enough for some people. Not me. I prefer a little truth with my smiles, and the guy seems not to be based in reality anymore.

Another problem I have with Tommy is he just motor mouths through stuff like one of those drug salesmen running through the fact that taking this medicine will kill you. At least he didn't appear to be drunk this time. When someone speaks so fast, it's because they don't want you to know what the fuck they are saying. Tammy is much more deliberate, to the point and thorough.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government