MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Hey, remember Scott Walker?

Postby bdog » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:28 am

Government and private enterprise both have their place. One without the other is no good.

Is this the moderate position - not demonizing either one?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 am

Yes, but where did you get that idea? Admit it - you didn't build it yourself, did you?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:58 am

Meade wrote:Yes, but where did you get that idea? Admit it - you didn't build it yourself, did you?

It's an argument as old as free enterprise itself, but if he's a Republican he'll sure as hell claim that he built it.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am

He's pulling tricks out of Boehner's handbook.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 pm

Hawk,
Try googling clips of your missives from RoJo, not to long ago they came back word for word from the pages of the HF. Perhaps he (they) have gotten better at this.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:59 am

Meade wrote:Says super liberal non elitist proud progressive, Henry V.

Scott Walker says he's a progressive

But probably not a super progressive.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 am

Henry Vilas wrote:But probably not a super progressive.

Right. But that's largely because super progressives (early 20th c) were into such things as eugenics and prohibition. Modern super progressives may not wish to get that stink off themselves, but progressive Republicans like Scott Walker prefer to move forward in more democratic ways.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:09 pm

Meade wrote:But that's largely because super progressives (early 20th c) were into such things as eugenics and prohibition. Modern super progressives may not wish to get that stink off themselves

Examples?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:36 pm

lukpac wrote:Examples?

The way they continually associate themselves with Fighting Bob and Margaret Sanger.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Meade wrote:
lukpac wrote:Examples?

The way they continually associate themselves with Fighting Bob and Margaret Sanger.

Once again, Larry has nothing.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 am

Meade wrote:
HawkHead wrote:How are expanded state powers smaller government?

State powers were not expanded. The state government of Wisconsin has no more power over its people than it did before Act 10 was passed. The people of Wisconsin lost zero constitutional rights against the powers of the state.

The reduction of power was experienced, appropriately, by the disgusting public sector unions who had, in collusion with Democrats and other politicians, for decades, abused their power to apply special statutory rights such as collective bargaining (now, thankfully eliminated) to extort ever-increasing unjustifiable benefits from the subgroup of the people of Wisconsin known as state income tax payers.
So that explains why Public sector workers in Wisconsin make 8% less than the equivalent private sector worker...

And THAT's the real problem with the GOP. Reality is not part of the their lexicon. And with an openly conservative media that shamelessly lies for you (WSJ here), and a 10 to 1 spending advantage mostly from out of state interests, you're allowed to pretend that the lie is truth...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 am

Meade wrote:I didn't say you were a communist. But a communist would find extreme my opinion on collective bargaining for public employees.

Glad to put you on a pedestal, if you like, HawkHead. But you should not expect to be worshipped. Even with your god complex.

Stay out of my shoes. And please don't pray for me. I prefer you pray for God's will to be done. I don't hate anyone and I love everyone.
Just another example of how absurd your hypocrisy is, Meade. You support corporations capitalizing their business, but are against common people capitalizing their labor. Why do you hate Wisconsin workers?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:33 am

jonnygothispen wrote:You support corporations capitalizing their business, but are against common people capitalizing their labor.

Not sure I understand what you're talking about. I'm against public employee unions having the power to collectively bargain. How is that hypocritical?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:55 am

You're for the $1.6 billion in cuts to education, but you're not against the $2.3 billion in Walker giveaways to corporations. Are you really this intellectually dishonest with yourself?

And why are you against collective bargaining? Because you falsely believe Wisconsin public sector employees have too many benefits. Why do you want to take something away from someone else? It's their money/benefits negotiated into their contracts, isn't it?

So my question is this, Meade: Why is fairly taxing the rich for a system that is designed to benefit them "wrong," but taking money from the low to middle class by breaking the State's contract with them "good" to you?

And since the wealthy have it so bad, (and teachers so good) why don't they trade their incomes with the teachers/public sector workers you want to punish for the bad economy created by the greedy rich?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am

jonnygothispen wrote:You're for the $1.6 billion in cuts to education, but you're not against the $2.3 billion in Walker giveaways to corporations. Are you really this intellectually dishonest with yourself?
I'm not. But you seem to be. When is a tax cut a "giveaway"?

jonnygothispen wrote:And why are you against collective bargaining? Because you falsely believe Wisconsin public sector employees have too many benefits. Why do you want to take something away from someone else? It's their money/benefits negotiated into their contracts, isn't it?
I don't want to take away their benefits. I only wanted to take away their unions' unfair corrupt negotiating tools. Wisconsin public employees didn't have too many benefits. They had benefits Wisconsin taxpayers could no longer afford. Why do you hate Wisconsin taxpayers?

jonnygothispen wrote:So my question is this, Meade: Why is fairly taxing the rich for a system that is designed to benefit them "wrong," but taking money from the low to middle class by breaking the State's contract with them "good" to you?
What "system" are you referring to. What "contract" does the State have with the "low to middle class"?

jonnygothispen wrote:And since the wealthy have it so bad, (and teachers so good) why don't they trade their incomes with the teachers/public sector workers you want to punish for the bad economy created by the greedy rich?
The wealthy do not have it bad and neither do teachers or other public sector employees who have the freedom to enter the private sector at any time they choose and compete for the incomes of wealthier citizens.

Why do you call it a "bad economy"?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government