MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 42.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Act 10 overturned

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Act 10 overturned

Postby jman111 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:42 pm

Earthling wrote:
jman111 wrote:
Earthling wrote:The savings are available. Why not take advantage?

You could save money by not eating. Does that make it a good idea?

Is "saving money" the end-all, or could life possibly be more complicated than that?

No one is talking about starving to death. Apples to apples we are talking about eating a sirloin vs. filet mignon.

Okay, forget not eating. Consider a scenario in which you must hire a contractor for a home improvement project. Would lowest price be the only deciding factor?

Or consider this: you are in need of surgery, for which you must pay cash. You could save money by hiring a surgeon with limited training and experience. Or, you could pay more for a fully trained and qualified doc.

I think (hope!) you see where this is going- lowest cost is not always the best choice. Reducing cost is not the end-all, there can be negative consequences that arise form cost-saving measures. As I said, the world is a bit more complicated than you seem to believe.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Here is Walker's response to the court ruling:
Walker launches petition drive after judge strikes down bargaining law

What does he expect the petition will do? Other than be an excuse to ask people for more money, that is.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:07 pm

When I read that I could hardly believe it -- it's totally pointless and has no effect whatsoever unless he's trying to compile himself a "friends" list.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grimfees » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 pm

lukpac wrote:
Earthling wrote:No, but IMO it is circumventing a pretty legitimate state law that was put in place. A window has opened, and they feel justified forcing the taxpayers to fit the bill for more high priced government expendetures that we can't afford.

Who can't afford it?

Exactly. My sales and property taxes are much lower in Dane County than they were in Illinois. They would have to increase like 30% to even come close. I think Dane County is pretty well run and not really in any fiscal danger.

Perhaps Steve Nass' fears are based on what would happen to Jefferson or Walworth counties if those counties actually treated their employees well. Or maybe he just hates it that there are liberal counties that are not in trouble and do not need to implement any austerity sleight of hand.
Last edited by grimfees on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grimfees

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:11 pm

I expect "petition" has special meaning for him, and he imagines he can dilute his shame by launching any and all kind of petitions that support his opinion of himself.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:51 pm

fennel wrote:I expect "petition" has special meaning for him, and he imagines he can dilute his shame by launching any and all kind of petitions that support his opinion of himself.

It's a little known secret that Act 10 was only launched in response to Walker getting 1,000 likes on Facebook.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Petro wrote:
fennel wrote:I expect "petition" has special meaning for him, and he imagines he can dilute his shame by launching any and all kind of petitions that support his opinion of himself.

It's a little known secret that Act 10 was only launched in response to Walker getting 1,000 likes on Facebook.

I would just like to point out that bacon has 4.7 million likes. Just to put Walker's numbers in perspective.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Detritus wrote:I would just like to point out that bacon has 4.7 million likes. Just to put Walker's numbers in perspective.

Tofu has 39,245 likes. No one likes tofu. It's just something vegetarians eat so that they're not broken in half in strong winds.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:11 pm

Detritus wrote:I would just like to point out that bacon has 4.7 million likes.

That can't be right. Are you sure it's not 4.7 billion?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:05 am

snoqueen wrote:When I read that I could hardly believe it -- it's totally pointless and has no effect whatsoever unless he's trying to compile himself a "friends" list.

2010 brought a supreme opening to dogmatism. 2012 is shaping up to be what we will all make of it. SKW does not seem to be planning well for the transition. I pity the prickish.

BTW; the insertion of the "friends" list and "parasite" language I have been hearing lately only makes things worse.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:22 am

Ducatista wrote:
Detritus wrote:I would just like to point out that bacon has 4.7 million likes.

That can't be right. Are you sure it's not 4.7 billion?

4,692,325, to be exact.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 am

snoqueen wrote:When I read that I could hardly believe it -- it's totally pointless and has no effect whatsoever unless he's trying to compile himself a "friends" list.

Not that I disagree with you Sno, but it's no more pointless or ineffectual than the numerous "Resolutions Against <insert something Bush did here> that the Madison City Council passed between 2001 and 2008.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:32 pm

I expect "petition" has special meaning for him, and he imagines he can dilute his shame by launching any and all kind of petitions that support his opinion of himself.

I think what he's trying to do is collect a number of signatures equal to the number who signed the recall petition, just to make a point.

And I don't think he's got a chance in hell. That took teamwork, and they don't get the concept.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:That took teamwork, and they don't get the concept.
What, vigilantism doesn't count? Walker's, eh, standing team did manage to shred a few signed petitions ...
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government