MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"As Goes Janesville" really independent?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

"As Goes Janesville" really independent?

Postby raberdazer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Did anyone view tonight's PBS program, Independent Lens / As Goes Janesville? I was somewhat surprised by the tone and almost sainting of Walker until I read the major funders list and saw this name: Lubar Family Foundation. Does the name Sheldon Lubar ring a bell? Back in '09, he wanted to get rid of Milwaukee County government:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/78286182.html

""There are a lot of reasons why the unions and others who want power and want control are going to fight this," Lubar said. He said change would be difficult, but insisted that a radical overhaul of county government was possible. He called for the election of a governor and legislators who support the overhaul as the best way to bring about the change.

"While not endorsing a particular candidate, Lubar complimented County Executive Scott Walker for advocating overhauling county government. Walker was elected county executive in 2002 and is a Republican candidate for governor."

It seemed attempts were made by the filmmaker to include sympathetic citizens from among those most impacted by the closing of the GM plant, but I came away from the viewing with the icky feeling of having viewed propaganda.

Perhaps the Lubar Foundation somehow 'balances' the Macarthur Foundation.

Did this telling of the story of Janesville hit the mark of independence for you?
raberdazer

Re: "As Goes Janesville" really independent?

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Raberdazer (triot?),
You have been lurking. Please close the loop, and I encourage you to engage if you are serious.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:01 am

Mad Howler wrote:Raberdazer (triot?),
You have been lurking. Please close the loop, and I encourage you to engage if you are serious.

I don't want to foul up TDPF HOF with my idiosyncrasies, but I love this post. Keep it up.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 am

Lubar used to head the Wisconsin Republican Party back in the day. In the late 60s I worked for his brother Fred's company, Super Steel Products, when it was in Milwaukee. A very conservative (and anti-union) family.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Big_Sister » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Just for the record, and FYI, Henry, Fred LUBER of Super Steel is not related to Sheldon LUBAR. I happen to know this because one of my "relatives" by marriage is cousins with Fred's wife. But, indeed, Fred is very conservative and contributes heavily to the usual suspects.
Big_Sister

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Since their extreme conservativism is so similar, I thought there was a family relationship.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Everyone's clear on what independent film means, right?
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:Everyone's clear on what independent film means, right?

It means for film what indie music means for music. Next question?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby raberdazer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks for the thought provoking comments. Looks like I will have an opportunity to engage more directly on the topic. I may be more of a lurker, but I prefer to think of it as 'lurning' [learning] by reading others' posts, since I'm not very good at keeping my foot out of my mouth. I hope posting the following fits the intent of the forum -
In case others have interest, this came to my inbox from WPT:

As Goes Janesville

Independent Lens "As Goes Janesville"
Several community screenings taking place soon in Southern Wisconsin.

On Monday, "As Goes Janesville" kicked off a new season of Independent Lens on Wisconsin Public Television. A documentary by 371 Productions, "As Goes Janesville" catapults viewers to the front lines of America's debate over the future of our middle class – a debate that has become a pitched battle over unions in the normally tranquil state of Wisconsin.

If you missed the premiere, join us for one of these free community screenings or watch the film online at wpt.org where it is streaming for free all month.

Tonight!
7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10
University of Wisconsin – Madison
The Marquee Theater in Union South
Film screening only. Visit union.wisc.edu for more information.

1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20
Sequoya Branch, Madison Public Library
Presented by Community Cinema
Film screening with panel discussion including director Brad Lichtenstein; The Nation author John Nichols; State Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison; former UAW Local 95 president Mike Sheridan and Dane County Board Supervisor Jenni Dye. Visit MadisonPublicLibrary.org for more information.

7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 23
Beloit College
Wilson Theatre in Mayer Hall
Film screening followed by Q&A with producer and director Brad Lichtenstein.
Visit beloit.edu for more information.
raberdazer

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 pm

raberdazer wrote:Thanks for the thought provoking comments. Looks like I will have an opportunity to engage more directly on the topic. I may be more of a lurker, but I prefer to think of it as 'lurning' [learning] by reading others' posts, since I'm not very good at keeping my foot out of my mouth. I hope posting the following fits the intent of the forum

Thank you for your observation. I missed the viewing on PBS, I will check it out. BTW- I do not think you risk running a foot-in-mouth monopoly on this forum.
Last edited by Mad Howler on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 am

I just was able to work my way through streaming this film, the feed didn't work so well for some reason. I found it very powerful and sad. Propaganda? Not so much in my mind, if one sees propaganda I might consider it akin to a Rorschach test of the viewer. No, this film seems to get at what happens when we flail in desperation while forces beyond our control (or knowledge) are at work.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government