MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

UW-Madison uses Gov. Walker's 'tools'

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: UW-Madison uses Gov. Walker's 'tools'

Postby Beaver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Good response from AFSCME local 171 about HR design:

http://afscmelocal171.com/files/public/ ... nglish.pdf
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 am

From that report:

To eventually remove collective bargaining rights for 700 union positions by turning them into Academic staff.

I understand that someone would lose their union rights, but the benefits for Academic staff are much better than those for Classified. I know a lot of people who would like to be re-classified as Academic Staff.

Pay based on years in service and the cost of living.

I think it should be a little of both(time on the job and merit). Just because someone has been at their job for a long time doesn't mean they're good at it. I know plenty of folks who really don't deserve a raise, but would get one under this plan.

The ability to apply for jobs without using a computer.

That's just a silly request.

The HR report has been out for a while and they're just now coming up with these requests. There was plenty of time during the process to present these. I just personally don't see the boogeyman in the new HR design.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:The HR report has been out for a while and they're just now coming up with these requests. There was plenty of time during the process to present these. I just personally don't see the boogeyman in the new HR design.

I don''t know when the afscme 171 document was created. It may be a year or more old, but I posted it because it still seems very relevant and valid to me.

How are benefits for Academic staff much better than those for Classified? Academic staff have to go through an annual renewal each year where their job can end if UW decides to for any reason. I know Academic staff who have lost their UW job that way and wished they could have kept it. Seems to me Academic staff have less security than Classified staff which is why mngmt prefers Academic staff but many workers would rather be Classified.
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Beaver wrote:How are benefits for Academic staff much better than those for Classified? Academic staff have to go through an annual renewal each year where their job can end if UW decides to for any reason.

Better vacation time. Better sick time. Rolling Horizons. ALRA, and I don't know what you're talking about with annual renewals. Unless you're on a grant, I have never heard of anyone going through an "annual renewal." Maybe it's a departmental thing that I haven't heard of.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government