MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Don't Demolish. Rehab! Iota Ct/Henry St Redevelopment?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Don't Demolish. Rehab! Iota Ct/Henry St Redevelopment?

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:26 pm

More details, from Isthmus.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cooltapes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:37 am

And, it's already back.

I saw today on the front door of 625 N Henry:
Slated for demolition. Upcoming meetings,
Plan Commission February 4, 2013
Common Council February 5, 2013.

So I guess "referred indefinitely" means "referred for ASAP." That should be enough time to make significant changes and resubmit them.

Amazing. Houden said at P.C. meeting that this whole thing has been 6 years in development (though the neighborhood first heard about it this fall.) Sorry snoqueen, I don't think Houden is going to be sitting "down with neighborhood representatives and neighbors and find out if there's any common ground to be had." Unless I'm wrong, it looks like they're gong to try to wear everyone down and ram this through minus one story or whatever right now.
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 am

Cooltapes wrote:And, it's already back.

I saw today on the front door of 625 N Henry:
Slated for demolition. Upcoming meetings,
Plan Commission February 4, 2013
Common Council February 5, 2013.

So I guess "referred indefinitely" means "referred for ASAP." That should be enough time to make significant changes and resubmit them.

Amazing. Houden said at P.C. meeting that this whole thing has been 6 years in development (though the neighborhood first heard about it this fall.) Sorry snoqueen, I don't think Houden is going to be sitting "down with neighborhood representatives and neighbors and find out if there's any common ground to be had." Unless I'm wrong, it looks like they're gong to try to wear everyone down and ram this through minus one story or whatever right now.

Are you sure that's a new sign? There's nothing in legistar to support that (though I don't know how quickly it gets updated).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:45 pm

This needs to be checked out. The following is from
http://www.cityofmadison.com/developmen ... lition.cfm

That link has other relevant information and is worth a click.

The Plan Commission is required to grant approval of demolition permits for all principal structures in the City of Madison. Examples of principal structures include most single-family residences, multi-family buildings and large commercial structures.... The purpose of the review of demolition requests is to aid in the implementation of adopted City plans, to protect neighborhood character, preserve historic buildings, and encourage the reuse and/or relocation of existing buildings. Demolition permit approval is also required in order for a principal building to be removed or relocated from its current property....

If the Director of the Building Inspection Division has determined that a principal building is structurally unsound, the Zoning Administrator may issue a demolition approval for a building if it has not been used at any time as a single-family or multi-family residential dwelling and is not a landmark or in a local Historic District or a Neighborhood Conservation District.

I can't tell if our friend Houden is bluffing, if Plan issued a permit and no one knows about it (this can be checked out Monday), if the signs are obsolete, or what.

Department of Planning and Community & Economic Development Madison Municipal Building
215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Suite LL 100
Madison, WI 53703
Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday

cooltapes wrote:Unless I'm wrong, it looks like they're gong to try to wear everyone down and ram this through minus one story or whatever right now.

I doubt you're wrong. Having lost Round 1, they're going to their fallback plan. Do you know who their lawyer is? I'm just curious, because this looks a lot like what Robert Dunn did with Edgewater.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:51 pm

Bill White, Michel Best and Friedrich.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:07 pm

Unsurprising to note the firm.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Good boy, Stu. Is it Kibbles and Bits or were you lucky enough to get Alpo?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:06 pm

According to Ald. Maniaci, this is in fact scheduled to come back to Plan Commission on Feb 4, to Council on Feb 5.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keysrawk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

I lived in the Spooner building. It is a piece of shit.
keysrawk

Postby snoqueen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

The developers have presented a revised plan.

Because several nearby property owners have filed a protest against a needed zoning change, the City Council requires a 15-vote supermajority to approve the project.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:15 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:According to Ald. Maniaci, this is in fact scheduled to come back to Plan Commission on Feb 4, to Council on Feb 5.

Stu, wouldn't Landmarks need to hear this again prior to Council?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 am

Apparently not. Plan Commission approved, 5-3, early Tuesday morning. Goes to Council tonight.

Anybody who doubts importance of every Council election -- if Bridget Maniaci hadn't beaten Brenda Konkel, neither Edgewater nor this project would have been built.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:53 am

Stu, it is going to be so funny when in a few years after Edgewater has become the place to be and you start weaseling your way in. Will you buy me a drink at the bar?
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:06 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Anybody who doubts importance of every Council election -- if Bridget Maniaci hadn't beaten Brenda Konkel, neither Edgewater nor this project would have been built.

From Sno's article:

Mayor Paul Soglin supports the project.

I guess voting for the mayor is important too.

Is Bridget on the Planning Commission? I didn't see her name on the roster and they are the ones who voted in favor of this. Also, was there a final vote on the Edgewater project? Was Bridget the deciding vote?

Looking at the new proposal for Iota Ct., I'm now wondering why there is still push back. They scaled the project down from 8 to 4, 5, and 6 stories which seems reasonable considering the area. I also think their renderings look quite nice. When this thread began I took a walk back in that area because I wasn't familiar with it, and wow, was that a crap factory back there. It seemed very slummy, dark, and run down. As others have noted, those building are junk so why wouldn't we want something newer and nicer. I realize they have a history, but architecturally what do they contribute? Stu, I would be curious as to the justification of preserving these buildings. Do they have architectural or historical significance other than being old?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:12 am

Approved, 15-3.

Ald. Rhodes-Conway with an epic takedown of planning director Steve Cover. Never seen anything like it.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government