MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:14 am

pjbogart wrote: Meade ...decides to rehash the Prosser-Bradley "dust up." It's a juicy worm, several forons decide to take a bite and Meade is able to claim victory (in his own mind) in what is perhaps the most ridiculously fail thread the Daily Page has ever seen.

I brought up Prosser / Bradley in response to Sno's journalism 101 comment.

Your post rails against lies and I've shown you just told 2 whoppers. What's up with that?

And you've been doing so good lately...
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 am

lukpac wrote:You seem to be assuming that Lueders simply sought out people that would help "his" story, while ignoring others. Yet both Prosser and Bradley initially declined to comment, while later making comments to the Journal-Sentinel. How do you know that was not also the case for others involved?

I don't assume Lueders sought out his "knowledgeable sources", I assume they went to him.

You are correct it is possible he sought out others and they declined. I would like to know those details. If he did I wonder if he offered them anonymity.

It seems odd that a veteran reporter would run with a story that didn't pass the smell test. And if it did pass Lueders' smell test he needs to get his nose checked out.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:09 am

bdog wrote:It seems odd that a veteran reporter would run with a story that didn't pass the smell test. And if it did pass Lueders' smell test he needs to get his nose checked out.

Except...the incident happened. Prosser's hands touched Bradley's neck.

Now, was that intentional? Was it simply a reflex? We'll likely never know. But that doesn't mean there was something wrong with the reporting.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:43 am

bdog wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Ok, so let me get this straight. Meade starts this thread based upon two separate sets of lies. The first was that a Republican campaign worker was savagely beaten for being a gay Republican, the second was that I somehow questioned whether that imaginary beating was a hate crime. I didn't.

pjbogart wrote:It's great to see you guys looking out for gay rights. Is this a hate crime, then?

Seems like you did.

Jeepers, bdog, given that you aren't stupid I'll have to assume that you're being willfully dense. I thought it was fairly obvious that my criticism was that Republicans refuse to recognize hate crimes, and should have been even more obvious after I told you what I meant. I wasn't questioning whether this was a hate crime, I was questioning whether you were willing to admit that there was such a thing as a hate crime. Get it?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:44 am

lukpac wrote:Now, was that intentional? Was it simply a reflex? We'll likely never know. But that doesn't mean there was something wrong with the reporting.

And if bdog thinks that any good journalist is going to pull the curtain back on all his sources because some mustachioed right-wing crank questions his bonafides, he's dumber than I thought.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:48 am

bdog wrote:I assume they went to him.

This is the crux of the matter. You assume that mainstream media reporters are liberals working to get Dems elected and that these clowns working for Media Trackers are simply their mirror image on the right. Everything you see is through that lens. One arm of the media is used by the left and one by the right.

I could tell you all sorts of stories about how Bill works, how he is perhaps the least likely journalist in Wisconsin to believe a story that comes to him, how he repeatedly told tipsters he wasn't interested in their stories or couldn't write them because there was no evidence. But you don't really care about that.

And here's the funny part: You and Meade equate the work done by real reporters with these willfully deceived hacks at Media Trackers on one hand, but you spend HOURS each day on this particular media company's website. HOURS. Clearly, there's a credibility and integrity you're finding here that you're not finding there.

Otherwise, why waste your time, right?

I don't expect an answer to that. I'd be shocked to get one, actually.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:46 pm

jjoyce wrote:And here's the funny part: You and Meade equate the work done by real reporters with these willfully deceived hacks at Media Trackers on one hand, but you spend HOURS each day on this particular media company's website. HOURS. Clearly, there's a credibility and integrity you're finding here that you're not finding there.

The minimum hours per day are specified in their contract.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:51 pm

Meade wrote:a good man's reputation

Really, Meade? You're going to vouch for Prosser? You know him pretty well?

He called his coworker, the chief justice of the state supreme court and a pioneer among female jurists in the state, a "total bitch" in front of their colleagues. That doesn't fit my definition of being a good guy. Sounds like a guy who doesn't like having a female boss, actually.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 pm

jjoyce wrote:Really, Meade? You're going to vouch for Prosser? You know him pretty well?

Yes, really, Jason.
Yes, I'm going to vouch for Prosser.
Yes, pretty well.

Jason, I'll even vouch for you. (Even though, sometimes, honestly, for some reason, you just act like a total bitch.)
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Oh, come on. That's not bitchy. What a delicate flower, I can't believe a mild breeze doesn't tear your body to pieces.

<jjoyce> shows incredible restraint IMO. I mean, do you really not get how abrasive and annoying your online persona here is? It's nearly impossible to interact with you at all, much less politely.

AFAIK you have exactly one ally here ("friend" is probably a stretch) as you are just such a petulant whiner, such a self-satisfied toad, such an amazing exemplar of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Are you like this in real life?
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:04 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Are you like this in real life?

Oh, yeah, he is. Watch this video of Meade being a whiney bitch in real life.

Meade "assists" a Capitol cleaning crew
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I can only imagine what a high time it is to hobnob with the Prosser crowd. In the state Assembly -- maybe the most insufferable chamber of doofuses in the entire state -- Prosser was the most insufferable. His speeches as minority leader were like watching really bad Shakespeare in the park, as he'd gaze skyward and clench his fist. Members of his own party would spin in their chairs and roll their eyes. I shudder now just thinking about it.

Y'know, the name calling bit is beneath you, buddy. I've never called you anything you haven't called yourself, New Media Meade the Moderate. You're better than that, or at least you portray yourself to be better than that. You'd like us all to think you're better than us, I mean that, right? Maybe not. I'll ask Prosser!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:Y'know, the name calling bit is beneath you, buddy.

I also was disappointed to read Meade's name-calling. I'm disappointed when any Foron does that.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Name-calling? What? When I referred to David Prosser as "a good man"? That's the only name-calling I've done.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm

jjoyce wrote:I could tell you all sorts of stories about how Bill works, how he is perhaps the least likely journalist in Wisconsin to believe a story that comes to him, how he repeatedly told tipsters he wasn't interested in their stories or couldn't write them because there was no evidence. But you don't really care about that.

And here's the funny part: You and Meade equate the work done by real reporters with these willfully deceived hacks at Media Trackers on one hand, but you spend HOURS each day on this particular media company's website. HOURS. Clearly, there's a credibility and integrity you're finding here that you're not finding there.

Well there you go again Jason trying to paint this as a comparison to mediatrackers. I was specfically responding to Sno's journalism 101 comment and I completely believe Lueders was not a good or responsible reporter in this case.

But you don't want to hear that. Big surprise that you refuse to tolerate a different opinion. Lueders may be all those things you described but he DID NOT demonstrate it on the Prosser story.

I expect a reply from deep deep in whatever land you're living in. Can you respond to what I actually said and not what you hoped I said?

Also I've never been to mediatrackers and I could care less about them. This is about Lueders.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government