MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Capitol Heat and Power
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 pm

pjbogart wrote:
bdog wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Ok, so let me get this straight. Meade starts this thread based upon two separate sets of lies. The first was that a Republican campaign worker was savagely beaten for being a gay Republican, the second was that I somehow questioned whether that imaginary beating was a hate crime. I didn't.

pjbogart wrote:It's great to see you guys looking out for gay rights. Is this a hate crime, then?

Seems like you did.

Jeepers, bdog, given that you aren't stupid I'll have to assume that you're being willfully dense. I thought it was fairly obvious that my criticism was that Republicans refuse to recognize hate crimes, and should have been even more obvious after I told you what I meant. I wasn't questioning whether this was a hate crime, I was questioning whether you were willing to admit that there was such a thing as a hate crime. Get it?

Got it. I'll score you for only 1 lie then.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:13 pm

pjbogart wrote:
bdog wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Ok, so let me get this straight. Meade starts this thread based upon two separate sets of lies. The first was that a Republican campaign worker was savagely beaten for being a gay Republican, the second was that I somehow questioned whether that imaginary beating was a hate crime. I didn't.

pjbogart wrote:It's great to see you guys looking out for gay rights. Is this a hate crime, then?

Seems like you did.

Jeepers, bdog, given that you aren't stupid I'll have to assume that you're being willfully dense. I thought it was fairly obvious that my criticism was that Republicans refuse to recognize hate crimes, and should have been even more obvious after I told you what I meant. I wasn't questioning whether this was a hate crime, I was questioning whether you were willing to admit that there was such a thing as a hate crime. Get it?

Well said. It seems that the femented honey concoction and his canine compadre are faithfully taking a play from one of my favorite boogie men Lee Atwater. It goes something like this; if you can't defend your position then change the subject.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 pm

C'mon MH, get your ass in here and say something about it then.

Like Jason said, we'll catch you when you fall.

Jesus fuck MH I've been doing nothing but defending my position.

You got the guts to have one? Let's hear it.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alpuz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 pm

"Also I've never been to mediatrackers and I could care less about them. This is about Lueders."

How? Why? How is this about Lueders. Bdog? Why is this not about the original recanted story?
alpuz

Postby bdog » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:30 pm

alpuz wrote:"Also I've never been to mediatrackers and I could care less about them. This is about Lueders."

How? Why? How is this about Lueders. Bdog? Why is this not about the original recanted story?

Good point alpuz. As I will say for third time, this was a response to Sno's journalism 101 comment. It is related to that and that only. If ya'll want to limit this discussion to mediatrackers, be my guest. I mean, Jason's guest.

I appreciate Jason and pj bringing some game to the discussion though.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby alpuz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:37 pm

bdog wrote:
alpuz wrote:"Also I've never been to mediatrackers and I could care less about them. This is about Lueders."

Good point alpuz. As I will say for third time, this was a response to Sno's journalism 101 comment. It is related to that and that only. If ya'll want to limit this discussion to mediatrackers, be my guest. I mean, Jason's guest.

I appreciate Jason and pj bringing some game to the discussion though.

Horseshit. What's the topic of this thread? Why are you avoiding it while doing your damnedest to point out your grief with Lueders?

What's your position regarding the original topic at hand?
alpuz

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 pm

The Journalism 101 comment alluded to verifying information.

Early reporting about the faked attack failed to do any verification, and sufficient correcting articles and retractions were not being published. This applied to mediatrackers and to other sites as well.

That was the meaning of my original comment.

Somebody brought Lueders up as an example of using unverified information (in the SC case).

Jason countered with his own real-life experience of Lueders as an example of someone who is known for verifying, and verifying again, information he uses in his articles.

Lueders was not the topic of the original discussion, but was a relevant example of the principles originally under discussion (that is, proper verification of information in journalistic writing). Those principles were violated in the reporting of the fake attack case, as I just said and as I said way back.

Is there some reason this is difficult to follow?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 pm

So, does anyone have any updates on the Kyle Wood situation? The Google just brings me back to The Daily Page. The gossip in me wants to know if he choked himself, had someone do it for him or was incidental to some, um, Mormon celibacy activities.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:51 pm

bdog wrote:
Jesus fuck MH I've been doing nothing but defending my position.

You got the guts to have one? Let's hear it.

1) I admit that I took some kind of morbid interest and bothered to read over this thread. I also admit that I must not of read very carefully as I don't recall your "position" regarding the hyper edited subject of this thead (or starting place of this current cluster f).

2) So I guess your asking me to take a position on Boloney? My position is that it is delicious on white bread with ketchup and butter. Although there is a problem with this position as I think baloney means something other than bologna. Shit, OK, let me see... Isn't this thread kind of dumb? Yeah! Dar ya go, I found a position without having to call Media Fuckers some kind of bad name.

3) What's your current beef with Lueders? From what I have seen lately his work has steered so for to the middle that it is a bit milk toast for my taste. But I am not arguing that I have good taste, so good on him. Why does your boot remain on his throat?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:29 pm

bdog wrote:But you don't want to hear that. Big surprise that you refuse to tolerate a different opinion. Lueders may be all those things you described but he DID NOT demonstrate it on the Prosser story.

You can repeat that all you like, but that doesn't make it true.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:25 am

Meade wrote:Name-calling? What? When I referred to David Prosser as "a good man"? That's the only name-calling I've done.

Meade wrote:Jason, I'll even vouch for you. (Even though, sometimes, honestly, for some reason, you just act like a total bitch.)

Why not keep it civil? That goes for everyone.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:27 am

alpuz wrote:Horseshit. What's the topic of this thread? Why are you avoiding it while doing your damnedest to point out your grief with Lueders?

What's your position regarding the original topic at hand?

alpuz this is what's known as a threadjack. You can thank me, Meade, Jason, pj, lukpac and others for that. It's an online forum. It happens.

The original topic at hand? What is it? Whether this non-existent event was a hate crime? Whether mediatrackers are bad journalists? You pick one and I'll tell you my opinion.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 am

Mad Howler wrote:
3) What's your current beef with Lueders? From what I have seen lately his work has steered so for to the middle that it is a bit milk toast for my taste. But I am not arguing that I have good taste, so good on him. Why does your boot remain on his throat?

I haven't ate baloney in a long time. I don't really have too much interest in it anymore but I ate a lot as a kid.

My beef with Lueders is only with the Prosser story. I'm a fan of his. That is documented on this forum.

I think my expectations of him were too high. A guy that good who has been around that long is eventually going to screw the pooch. The Prosser story is Lueders' "Godfather III".
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:44 am

lukpac wrote:
bdog wrote:But you don't want to hear that. Big surprise that you refuse to tolerate a different opinion. Lueders may be all those things you described but he DID NOT demonstrate it on the Prosser story.

You can repeat that all you like, but that doesn't make it true.

Lueders story is all the truth I need.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:51 am

bdog wrote:Lueders story is all the truth I need.

And...still nothing.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government