MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 18.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Is this [recanted story of an] attack a hate crime?

Postby Westsidegal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:48 am

And let's not forget that Meade brought this garbage to this forum and started this thread. But, being the weasel he is, Meade went back yesterday and edited his original comment that leads off this topic.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Westsidegal, you appear to be hate-filled and dishonest. Every edit I have done here is open and transparent. Correct and criticize freely, but you really could try to be honest and accurate yourself, if you so choose.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Meade wrote:I suspect it is because you have a need to manufacturer "a beef" with a blogger you simply do not like and apparently don't read with any real understanding.

I don't know Althouse or you enough to say whether I like or don't like either of you. I'm not a fan of her blog, but then again I'm only a fan of about five blogs, total. You're right in that I wasn't reading it for understanding, I was skimming it.

I'm not sure it originally contained that modifier, but let's just say that it always did. The sentence is still misleading. Media Trackers deleted its entire post and the phony texts (according to MPD) contained in it didn't amount to anything close to a conversation. It's a bunch of words put together. There's no evidence that they were ever actually transmitted via mobile device between two people. If it's even possible to have a conversation via text message, there is no evidence that's what actually happened here. The only place we know for sure they existed was on that blog, before the paragon of watchdog journalism known as Brian Sikma deleted it.

Is it a conversation if it never took place? Is this a conversation?

Joyce: The Packers are good.
Meade: Stop manufacturing beef with the Althouse blog.
Joyce: Aaron Rodgers is a good quarterback.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:51 pm

Meade wrote: You are being deceptive by dropping those modifiers and then complaining about a quote that you yourself deceptively take out of context. It's worse than a straw man argument. Modifiers matter, no?

It's entertaining to hear Larry's recently revealed (and selectively applied) concern about context.

Remember this?
Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that" and he's correct.

Keep repeating that to us, Mr. Lingyu. Music to our ears.

Or this?
Meade wrote:You didn't build that incident. Government did.

He obviously hasn't always seemed so concerned about context.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:58 pm

admin wrote:You're right in that I wasn't reading it for understanding, I was skimming it.

I appreciate you acknowledging that, Jason.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:12 pm

jman111 wrote:It's entertaining to hear Larry's recently revealed (and selectively applied) concern about context.

Remember this?
Meade wrote:
Lingyu wrote:In the words of Barack Obama, "you didn't build that" and he's correct.

Keep repeating that to us, Mr. Lingyu. Music to our ears.

Or this?
Meade wrote:You didn't build that incident. Government did.

He obviously hasn't always seemed so concerned about context.

jman, speaking of context - how about a link to that forum conversation so that anyone reading this who is interested can, if they so choose, understand what was being expressed - irony, lack of humor, etc. - by all of the participants?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:30 pm

"you didn't build that"

I have confidence that most readers understand.
You can ask around for help if you still don't get it.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Westsidegal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm

It is also worth noting that Ann Althouse has not done a follow up post about how all of this was just a fabrication by a Chad Lee campaign staffer. Instead, she just tacked on an amendment to her original blog post which her right wing readers will not bother to scroll down to see.
Westsidegal
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:38 pm

Westsidegal wrote:Instead, she just tacked on an amendment to her original blog post which her right wing readers will not bother to scroll down to see.

Not true. Her right wing readers will all scroll down to see her edits and additions. It's her left wing readers who tend not to bother.
Last edited by Meade on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Oh, that's just priceless. :D
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:04 pm

From the Cap Times: Media Trackers failed to verify claims against Pocan's spouse

Just as quickly as it embraced his bogus assault allegation, the conservative mediasphere has turned against Kyle Wood with a vengeance.

“LIAR: gay GOP volunteer lies about beating, intentionally slanders Rep. (Mark) Pocan. Prosecute him. Now,” said a tweet from Vicki McKenna, Madison’s favorite right-wing radio host (WIBA/AM 1310).

“Apologies won't cover this one; he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law,” wrote Milwaukee talker Charlie Sykes (WTMJ/AM 620) on his blog.

Yet those conservatives, like the ones on this forum, refuse to condemn Media Trackers.

an apology to readers Tuesday, Sikma accepted no responsibility for publicizing the debunked accusations. He simply reassigned victimhood from Wood to Media Trackers:

“Media Trackers regrets that we were repeatedly lied to and misled. We regret that our readers were subject to the dishonest claims of a dishonest individual. Despite the best efforts to verify the accuracy and integrity of certain claims, a cover-up sometimes works.”

Wisconsin Reporter, a conservative news site, also referred to Media Trackers as a “victim” of Wood’s deceit.

And yet, Media Trackers neglected the one simple step that would have made clear whether Frank indeed sent the texts: Checking Wood’s phone.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Plenty of relevant quotes in that story, but here's one that really stands out to me:
In an interview last month, Sikma told me his group will occasionally reach out to officials who will be affected by its stories.

“There are times when something is pretty murky, when we want to give somebody the benefit of the doubt,” he said at the time. “If the information is pretty clear cut, then it’s not necessary.”
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Don't forget the real principle behind this whole ugly prank: the $7-million Capitol repairs principle.

Once the fake story is out there, nothing will call it back, not even a properly-edited rewrite and apology on a nationally known blog.

The Capitol repairs principle continues to apply, as those in the business are well aware.

Fortunately, there aren't enough undecided voters to tip Pocan's re-election, and few who would switch votes to his opponent based on a fishy tale like this one.

And the gift keeps giving: we get to see the wingnut faction make asses of themselves once again and demonstrate none of them ever took Journalism 101 or has the slightest idea what it might be about.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:And the gift keeps giving: we get to see the wingnut faction make asses of themselves once again and demonstrate none of them ever took Journalism 101 or has the slightest idea what it might be about.

I.e., the same lesson Bill Lueders learned on the Bradley / Prosser dust-up.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maggie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:48 pm

The thing that bothers me the most about this whole thing is that these right-wing knobs wanted this story to be true...
Maggie
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government