MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Run Sumi, Run

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Run Sumi, Run

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Run Sumi, Run

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Isthmus story.

Sumi says the Supreme Court desperately needs a change. "It's no secret the court is in a lot of trouble. It's dysfunctional. I'm not the first one to say that."

Among the incidents that have made national news was a physical altercation between justices David Prosser and Ann Walsh Bradley in which Prosser put his hands on Bradley's neck.

Since Judge Sumi stands around five feet tall, I doubt she will get into a fistflight with the others on the Supreme Court bench.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm sure the attack ads are pre-cut.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:05 pm

SlayerDave wrote:I'm sure the attack ads are pre-cut.

Yes, but sometimes money doesn't count for everything.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:02 pm

fennel wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:I'm sure the attack ads are pre-cut.

Yes, but sometimes money doesn't count for everything.

No, and I'm sure Sumi would have plenty of money on her side as well.

I wasn't really talking about money though, just saying Sumi fits the stereotype of "Dane County liberal activist judge!!!" pretty well. Just cut and paste the name in.

Not that should disqualify her, of course.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:16 pm

SlayerDave wrote:.. just saying Sumi fits the stereotype of "Dane County liberal activist judge!!!" pretty well. Just cut and paste the name in.
Based on what? The record of her decisions? The fact that she was appointed by a Reagan favorite? What?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:47 pm

fennel wrote:
SlayerDave wrote:.. just saying Sumi fits the stereotype of "Dane County liberal activist judge!!!" pretty well. Just cut and paste the name in.
Based on what? The record of her decisions? The fact that she was appointed by a Reagan favorite? What?

Yes, the record of her decisions. And, like it or not, the mere fact that she's a Dane county judge. I don't know if you've noticed recently, but elections where the right has been able to set the narrative as liberal Madison vs. the rest of the state has not exactly been super successful of late when it comes to state government. (At the federal level, Tammy Baldwin's excellent campaign is an obvious counterpoint, I realize.)

Given the way the state has swung back and forth and back again over the past few years, you'd have to be nuts to predict someone is unelectable or a likely loser at this stage, and I'm certainly not doing that. That said, I think WMC and co. will be pretty happy if Maryann Sumi is the nominee next spring.

By the way, I was reliably informed that Tommy was "just not for us anymore", so his appointment of her is surely a mark against Sumi, no? :wink:
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:33 am

And don't forget they claimed Tammy Baldwin was a Dane County liberal, and look where she ended up.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:50 am

SlayerDave wrote:
fennel wrote:

Yes, the record of her decisions. And, like it or not, the mere fact that she's a Dane county judge.
I'm sorry. I missed the problematic details of her decisions. (Which are those, now?) And I don't understand how the district of a judge's appointment would necessarily taint or enhance her ability to render sound judgements.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:36 am

fennel wrote:And I don't understand how the district of a judge's appointment would necessarily taint or enhance her ability to render sound judgements.

It shouldn't. But you and I both know there's some large parts of this state where it most definitely does.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:42 am

I'm sorry. I missed the problematic details of her decisions.

They don't really need to exist in reality. The GOP can just say "Dane County" and throw the word "Liberal" at her. It doesn't have to be true. When have they ever cared about their attacks being rooted in reality?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:23 pm

rabble wrote:
fennel wrote:And I don't understand how the district of a judge's appointment would necessarily taint or enhance her ability to render sound judgements.

It shouldn't. But you and I both know there's some large parts of this state where it most definitely does.

Right. To be clear, I'm not, as fennel seems to think, commenting on the merits of Sumi as a judge. Rather, I'm discussing her electoral prospects. But what do I know?

Anyways, here's another candidate:
http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 20031.html

A law-school professor at Marquette University says he is considering running for the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Ed Fallone said Friday that he is looking at running against Justice Patience Roggensack next year. The election is April 2.

Fallone joins Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi as potential candidates in the race. Sumi said Thursday she was considering running.

Fallone says one factor that will weigh heavily in whether he gets in the race is whether a primary will be necessary. If more than two candidates run, there would be a February primary.

Fallone has been a faculty member at Marquette for 20 years. He says he's motivated to run because he says the Supreme Court is not currently operating effectively due to personality clashes.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:27 pm

SlayerDave wrote:
A law-school professor at Marquette University says he is considering running for the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Ed Fallone said Friday that he is looking at running against Justice Patience Roggensack next year. The election is April 2.

Someone who actually understands constitutional law running for a seat on the Supreme Court? I can't wait to see how his opponents spin his qualifications.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:16 am

Shaping up to be quite the cast of characters:

Noted lemon law attorney Vince Megna of Milwaukee says he is running for the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Megna told The Associated Press on Friday that he made up his mind within the past 24 hours and he's committed to making a serious run for the office no matter how many other candidates get in the race.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government