MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Sly et. al. Canned at WTDY

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Sly et. al. Canned at WTDY

Postby Huckleby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:09 pm

lukpac wrote:
Huckleby wrote:WTDY has been moving right, Sly was something of a holdover.

*Moving* right?

As a talk station, WTDY was an early carrier of both The Rush Limbaugh Show and Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell; the station was also former home for Mark Belling, who would move to the Milwaukee market by 1989 and gain prominence at WISN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTDY

How do you get farther right than Limbaugh and Belling?

I was thinking of the past 5 years. Alan Colmes getting the boot. Annoying right-wing "news" shows midday. (Dennis Miller didn't get canned, he got moved to late night reruns.)

I listened to talk radio a little 24 years ago, but I don't remember which shows were on which channels.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:11 am

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:15 am

His interview with Brett Hulsey was pretty good.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:37 am

If it was just Sly, it would make sense to think of this as a political purge. However, they canned the entire staff. Fact is that local radio, with actual live human beings, is becoming a rarity. Stations like triple-M pre-record most of the DJ comments so they can have someone in front of a mike for 1 hour and get 3 hours of actual radio time. Just for shits'n'grins, try calling a radio station (other than WORT) at 7pm or on a weekend, and see if you get anyone answering the phone.

Remember when WIBA-am had local programming on weekends? Now, if it's not sports, it's canned shows and Rush reruns. WTDY was at the bottom of the ratings for years, and unfortunately it's cheaper to bring in canned shows than to try and do local radio.

Radio is in a downward spiral, and the elimination of local, live broadcasting just makes it worse.
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 am

I think it was two or three summers ago that some cyclonic atmospheric activity peeled through the westside and the power was out. No TV no internet, just a crank radio to get info. Over the next two to three hours I got no info from many stations that use OUR airwaves. As the lights went back on I had cranked it over to 1670 , then felt really stupid as their news department had been covering it the entire black out. After this I made a point to consume their product and those of their sponsors. This is my reward? Authority unaccompanied by responsibility is troublesome. There is no question that BC and that telecom act thingy led us here. But my message to Midwest Family Broadcasting is... nice job dicks.
MH
p.s.- Happy Fucking Thanksgiving
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 pm

http://www.slysoffice.com/

The fat man rides again!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:15 pm

I haven't listened to Sly on the radio since the days when he worked at an early morning slot at WIBA-FM (if I remember the station correctly). I had to listen to something offensive to keep me awake on my early morning commute.

Now I think he kinda looks like Chaz, the offspring of Cher.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:49 am

One question remains in my mind. What did the unions do for Sly once he got canned from WTDY? After all, Sly is well known for carrying water for the union cause for years in this town. What, no unions coming to the rescue with job offers?

If this is the kind of "we got your back" the unions will show a loyal water boy like Sly, what do you think the rest of us will get from them if we lost our jobs?

"Sorry you lost your job. Thanks for all the dues you paid, now get the _______ out of here."

The union bosses are just like the other bosses. They all look down on us worker bees with disdain from their lofty positions in the stratosphere. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves in thinking that there is some equality in the union movement of today.

You ever see a skinny union boss? Look at the clothes they wear when their not posing for holy pictures in front of the rank and file.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby peripat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:44 am

Let me get this straight...You think the point of unions is to offer jobs to their supporters? I think you have confused unions with politicians.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:36 am

you must be joking wrote:You ever see a skinny union boss?

When you make a sensible statement, they I'll take you seriously.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

you must be joking wrote: What did the unions do for Sly once he got canned from WTDY?

I expect they crossed him off their christmas card lists as soon as he was no longer useful to them. Might even considered doing a hit job because he knows too much.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:19 am

Stebben84 wrote:
you must be joking wrote:You ever see a skinny union boss?

When you make a sensible statement, they I'll take you seriously.

Stubben 84,

I must of had Marty Beil or Mary Bell as well as many other national labor union leaders in mind when I made that statement.

peripat wrote:Let me get this straight...You think the point of unions is to offer jobs to their supporters? I think you have confused unions with politicians.

peripat,

Just saying that looking at a number of former radio/televison personalities in Madison who left their jobs and went on to be public liaizon for government or industry; I was suprised that the unions in Wisconsin didn't have some sort of similar job for Sly.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:16 am

you must be joking wrote:Just saying that looking at a number of former radio/televison personalities in Madison who left their jobs and went on to be public liaizon for government or industry; I was suprised that the unions in Wisconsin didn't have some sort of similar job for Sly.

That's a reasonable question. But Sly is not a PR sort of guy. On the contrary, he's a lightening rod.

I completely disagree with those who dismiss Sly as a shock jock. He is not the Vicky McKenna of the left. Ideology aside, he's far more knowledgeable, insightful, and open to discussion. Mayor Dave's premature dance on the grave was transparently vengeful:
http://www.thedailypage.com/citizendave ... icle=38392
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I've caught a few snitches of Sly's new radio show.

The station he is a very strange match. They cater to small town life. Sly may be a man of the people, but he is a big city boy. Eva Gabor on "Green Acres" comes to mind.
http://www.wekz.com/

I wonder if rural wisconsin is going to embrace Sly's politics. Interesting experiment, I really don't know.
The radio signal in Madison isn't so strong, probably it is ok in cars. They will be putting the podcasts online starting next week at slysoffice.com
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government