MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Quien es mas macho?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Quien es mas macho?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:09 am

(In all seriousness, since it doesn't appear it's ringing bells for anyone, the "¿Quién es más macho?" thing is an SNL reference. Not that it makes this thread much more intelligible from the Ocean Pacific's perspective.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:53 am

"Quien es mas macho?" was the title of a skit on Saturday Night Live years ago, all done in Spanish. I remember one of the questions was, "Quien es mas macho? Lloyd Bridges o Ricardo Montalban?" Lloyd was pronounced Ee-yoyd. The contestants would hit the buzzer. Quite zany and hilarious.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Taco » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 am

Yo tengo la respuesta: Taco!

Macho es un estado de ánimo.
Taco
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Macho Camacho was a boxer.

But little known fact: he was actually Peruvian. He was the namesake of the seafood dish pescado a lo macho.

I think you've confused Camacho with the famous Olympic skeet shooter Adalberto "Macho" Cevís of Viña del Mar, Chile. He's the one who has a fish dish named after him. Camacho isn't Peruvian. He was actually born Pavel Kamajciehowicz in southwest Poland, of mixed heritage. Don King advised him to change his name and biography after failed attempts to promote him as The Prancing Pomeranian and The Slappy Silesian. Well known fact.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:44 pm

The Laurie Anderson thing must have been a parody of the SNL skit. Interesting, I did not know that.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Actually, the SNL skit was the only thing I could discern from the original question ... which made it all clear as dogshit on a subzero day.

Some people just delight at being obtuse and impenetrable, I think. Thomas Pynchon, James Joyce ... and then a whole host of wanna-be intellects unfit to carry the colostomy bags of the aforementioned.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:James Joyce ... and then a whole host of wanna-be intellects unfit to carry the colostomy bags of the aforementioned.

Oh, I think I'm one of those "wanna-be intellects" because every few years I pick up my copy of Ulysses, which has worn, yellowed pages right up until about the fiftieth. Great literary critics sometimes call this the greatest novel ever written in English. I don't dispute its brilliance, mostly because I can't understand anything more than an occasional familiar word. From page 39 of this brilliant masterpiece:

James Joyce wrote:Wombed in sin darkness I was too, made not begotten. By them, the man with my voice and my eyes and a ghostwoman with ashes on her breath. They clasped and sundered, did the coupler's will. From before the ages He willed me and now may not will me away or ever. A lex eterna stays about Him. Is that then the divine substance wherein Father and Son are consubstantial? Where is poor dear Arius to try conclusions? Warring his life long on the constransmagnificandjewbangtantiality. Ill-starred heresiarch. In a Greek watercloset he breathed his last: euthenasia. With beaded mitre and with crozier, stalled upon his throne, widower of a widowed see, with upstiffed omophorion, with clotted hinderparts."

Thus endeth the lesson.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:07 pm

pjbogart wrote:
James Joyce wrote:Wombed in sin darkness I was too, made not begotten. By them, the man with my voice and my eyes and a ghostwoman with ashes on her breath. They clasped and sundered, did the coupler's will. From before the ages He willed me and now may not will me away or ever. A lex eterna stays about Him. Is that then the divine substance wherein Father and Son are consubstantial? Where is poor dear Arius to try conclusions? Warring his life long on the constransmagnificandjewbangtantiality. Ill-starred heresiarch. In a Greek watercloset he breathed his last: euthenasia. With beaded mitre and with crozier, stalled upon his throne, widower of a widowed see, with upstiffed omophorion, with clotted hinderparts."

See, the problem is you're trying to read it. You should stand on a table, strike a theatrical pose and intone--nay, declaim the lines. Then it will all make sense.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:18 pm

I got no patience
for that stuff
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 pm

snoqueen wrote:I got no patience
for that stuff

There's a dance in the old dame yet!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:00 am

snoqueen wrote:I got no patience
for that stuff

That's a shit haiku, Sno. Bookie could help you out.

But back to the OP, you could probably find some at Chess King.

Alternatively, you could simply find a t-shirt that says:

"Constransmagnificandjewbangtantiality"

I know that's a bit unwieldy for a t-shirt, but if your tits are big enough, it should fit. Plus, you'd find an occasional friend who appreciates, as Chuck puts it, the "obtuse and impenetrable." I have no doubt that such connections would earn you some of the most annoying Faceplant friends imaginable and eventually you'd get to meet Mad Howler, who might even tell you what the fuck this thread is about.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:30 am

That was no haiku, it was a halfku.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 am

I am sorry that this is a difficult area to contemplate and to have stirred the hive. It seems that truth and lies have commingled in our past for hundreds of thousands of years, so I suspect the misdeeds of Goebbels and the great works Shakespeare are merely footnotes/examples of innovation regarding our collective subterfuge. About a decade ago I was driving my mother home from the UW hosp and explaining the grave situation of her husband (my father) and she stopped me cold and said "I know, but could you just lie to me". We don't like lies but often we accept them when it comforts us, "it funny world" and this is our struggle.

I usually have some "clearer" idea regarding where I am going when I start a thread, but not this one. Thanks for playing along.

MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:02 am

Mad Howler wrote:I am sorry that this is a difficult area to contemplate and to have stirred the hive.

Don't be sorry, it's the most entertaining thread we've had in weeks.

Mad Howler wrote:We don't like lies but often we accept them when it comforts us

No, I don't like lies, but try going a day without telling at least one non-truth. Good god I'd never get off the phone with some people.

Back to the OP, the first poster I can remember my sister having was a life-sized Shaun Cassidy, mounted on the outside (?) of her bedroom door. Every time I went into the bathroom, his eyes followed me.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Wow this is interesting! I didn't see this wrinkle coming when I initiated this thread.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/howard-fi ... 35812.html

It looks like there is a batttle going on between the big liars and those who have been lying to themselves (or happily consuming lies). It is kind of fun to watch.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government