MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Supreme Court candidate declares himself a Democrat

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Supreme Court candidate declares himself a Democrat

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:48 pm

State Supreme Court candidate Vince Megna declared Friday that he is a Democrat, called his opponent a Republican and said he wants to "stop the fiction" that court races are nonpartisan.

Not sure his declaration is really news. I don't think anyone believes that the Supreme Court is nonpartisan at this point.

What seems odd is that more than 4 months away from the election he either just declared that he either doesn't care about ethics, or he doesn't actually want to rule on any of the cases that he feels strongly about.
"I am against voter ID cards," Megna's statement said. "I am against repealing same day registration, which largely prevents African-Americans, Hispanics and other minorities from registering at the polls on election day . . . As a Supreme Court Justice, if a voter suppression case were to come before the court, I would vote against suppressing the vote."

The state's judicial ethics code says sitting judges and judicial candidates must not make "pledges, promises or commitments that are inconsistent with the impartial performance of the adjudicative duties of the office" for matters that are before the court or likely to come before the court.

Granted a lack of ethics doesn't seem to be an issue in the court currently, but this clown doesn't seem to be turning things in a better direction.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Supreme Court candidate declares himself a Democrat

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm sure this will prevent him from winning the election but glad he's at least honest about it, and calling out his opponent who isn't.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:05 pm

No matter what he does or what he says, he wouldn't win the election. WMC and the right wing will spend by the ton, whatever amount of cash it takes, to maintain their supreme court majority. If they had to, they would literally drop a ton of cash on a moderate or liberal opponent, literally crushing him to death under the weight of the filthy lucre.

I'm surprised Scott Fitzgerald hasn't introduced a bill in the Legislature to make that a legal campaign tactic. Better get cracking there, Scottie!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:20 pm

gargantua wrote:...they would literally drop a ton of cash on a moderate or liberal opponent, literally crushing him to death under the weight of the filthy lucre.

Only a ton?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:55 pm

More candidates are entering the ring in addition to Vince Megna.

A Marquette professor announced his run for State Supreme Court. Professor Ed Fallone is running because:

""The Wisconsin Supreme Court is dysfunctional and the only way to fix it is to change the personalities on the bench," Fallone said in a statement. "I am not beholden to any political party or faction on the court or any special interest group. The people of Wisconsin expect - and deserve - judges who respect the importance of an independent judiciary and who are impartial and fair."
His announcement sets up a likely primary, provided all the candidates turn in at least 2,000 nomination signatures by Jan. 2...A Feb. 19 primary would narrow the field to two candidates. The election is April 2."

This got my attention:

"Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi is also considering running."

http://tinyurl.com/a88jgs4
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Oops. Sorry Henry V. Didn't see your post "Run, Sumi, Run" before I posted this. More up to date info in that post to those interested.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Woofer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:57 pm

The word on the street is that Sumi won't run. Here's hoping for a serious challenger to Roggensack to emerge.
Woofer
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:31 pm

This is an excellent thread in my mind. I like hearing honest noise from those who seek our vote as opposed to..., ya I think you've been watching the news.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government