MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 10, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Postby Beaver » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:17 am

Not enough money for schools and workers, but enough for a new kitchen for the Guv's wife.

http://m.wkow.com/default.aspx?pid=2740 ... 3Drssstory
First Lady seeking $478,700 for new kitchen at ..

"The Wisconsin Department of Administration is asking the State Building Commission to approve $478,700 in general fund supported borrowing for kitchen renovations at the Governor's mansion. The request for the revamp of both the first floor kitchen and the second floor private quarters kitchenette originally came from First Lady Tonette Walker."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Postby rabble » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I didn't know anybody was living there. I thought they were still using their own place and only came out to the mansion for photo opps and lavish parties.

Oh, lavish parties. Right.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:10 pm

That is a shit ton of money for a kitchen remodel. Granted it's a mansion, but I find it outrageous to ask for nearly half a million dollars. I was curious what it was actually worth and came across this:

The building is administered by the State Capital & Executive Residence Board (SCERB), which must approve the annual maintenance budget and major capital improvements. The 16-member State Capitol Executive Residence Board includes 7 citizen members with specified expertise appointed by the governor to serve staggered 6-year terms. The purpose of the State Capitol and Executive Residence Board is to: "direct the continuing and consistent maintenance of the property, decorative furniture and furnishings of the Capitol and Executive Residence".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin_ ... 's_Mansion

So how is the governors wife able to ask for this money if the building is administered by a selected board? I guess it doesn't matter when it's Scott Walker. Reason number 859 not to like him.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:So how is the governors wife able to ask for this money if the building is administered by a selected board?

From the Wiki:
The Wisconsin Executive Residence Foundation, a non-profit, raises money to pay for maintenance that SCERB is unable or unwilling to spend state tax dollars on. ...

Each First Lady of the state is ex-officio chairman of the foundation's board.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:17 pm

So I did find this:

The home’s "replacement value" is $1.63 million, according to the state Department of Administration. But Wirch believes that with its 3.7 acres of land, the estate is worth more than $2.5 million.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... in-taxpay/

So the "home" is worth 1.6 million. The renovation costs of just a kitchen are one third of the cost of the home. Would you do this to your home? Reason number 860.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm

Would be ironic if the workers who re-do it are union men.
KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:41 pm

The state ought to sell that property and put the governor up (whoever he is at the time) in a condo within a block or two of the Capitol. The state could buy such a condo or one could be rented for each governor according to his or her tastes and needs. The Maple Bluff residence is obsolete and a waste of money (around $1 mil per year) and staff (there are seven staff):

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/sta ... in-taxpay/

Official receptions could be held at a nice area hotel or in the Capitol. California doesn't have a governor's mansion at all and they seem to get along all right.

I don't remember Walker, Doyle, McCallum, or the governors before them living in the Maple Bluff place on a consistent basis. According to our old favorite Wikipedia, Dorothy Knowles (wife of Gov. Warren Knowles, 1960s) called it a firetrap, and I doubt it's gotten a lot better since her time.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:52 pm

bdog wrote:From the Wiki:
The Wisconsin Executive Residence Foundation, a non-profit, raises money to pay for maintenance that SCERB is unable or unwilling to spend state tax dollars on. ...

Each First Lady of the state is ex-officio chairman of the foundation's board.

Bdog I did miss that. Regardless and I hope you would agree, that's a ridiculous amount of money to pay for some kitchen remodels.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:17 am

snoqueen wrote:Official receptions could be held at a nice area hotel or in the Capitol. California doesn't have a governor's mansion at all and they seem to get along all right.

This would make sense, particularly given that Gov. Walker seems to prefer hosting receptions outside of Wisconsin.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:59 am

snoqueen wrote:Official receptions could be held at a nice area hotel or in the Capitol. California doesn't have a governor's mansion at all and they seem to get along all right.

With the added benefit of accomplishing Walker's goal of giving more taxpayer money to the private sector.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 am

But he needs the half-million dollar kitchens to fix his brown bag lunches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7VevKtXz8U
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:24 pm

They're asking for borrowed money for a non-essential. The Boehner answer is appropriate: "Hell, no, you can't!!!!"
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Stebben84 wrote:That is a shit ton of money for a kitchen remodel. Granted it's a mansion, but I find it outrageous to ask for nearly half a million dollars.

To be fair to our First Antoinette, it's for TWO kitchens: "The request for the revamp of both the first floor kitchen and the second floor private quarters kitchenette originally came from First Lady Tonette Walker."

She's got some sack, I'll give her that.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby cmb53208 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm

And just for fun, this is an entire house you can get for less than what Princess Tonette wants for her kitchen:

[urlhttp://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2117-Kendall-Ave-Madison-WI-53726/55403927_zpid/][/url]

That aside, there's no way the state should be giving the governor a mansion: if you're smart enough to get elected than you should be smart enough to make housing arrangements
cmb53208

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Ducatista wrote:To be fair to our First Antoinette, it's for TWO kitchens: "The request for the revamp of both the first floor kitchen and the second floor private quarters kitchenette originally came from First Lady Tonette Walker."

She's got some sack, I'll give her that.

Maybe she's a student of the Ann Romney School of Entitlement.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government