MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Half-million for new kitchen in Governor's mansion

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:How much would you spend to repair a car if you know the car will need further repairs fairly soon? At a certain point replacement becomes the cheaper option.

Having driven several vehicles "into the ground" over my lifetime, I can assure you that most repairs are much more cost-efficient than replacement. However, I was more concerned with functionality than appearance.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:35 pm

From the OP:
But in the DOA's request to the State Building Commission, the project description includes several changes to the kitchen with the installation of new equipment, such as commercial grade storage cabinets, shelving, disposal, dishwasher, oven, stove, refrigerators and freezers.

Do ya suppose all those appliances are non-functional and/or unsafe (requiring repair) at this point?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:55 pm

jman111 wrote:From the OP:
But in the DOA's request to the State Building Commission, the project description includes several changes to the kitchen with the installation of new equipment, such as commercial grade storage cabinets, shelving, disposal, dishwasher, oven, stove, refrigerators and freezers.

Do ya suppose all those appliances are non-functional and/or unsafe (requiring repair) at this point?

I'm sure they function in the strictest sense of the word. On the other hand being almost 30 years old, I'm sure there is ample room for improvement in things like energy efficiency, usability, and space use.
Now if Tonette just wanted this so she could bake brownies for her kids easier, I'd be right with you thinking it was silly. Since she probably does most of her cooking and baking at home in Wauwatosa, and having worked in several commercial kitchens myself(some of which were in poor repair), I'm pretty sure the state employees who work there on the executive residence staff will appreciate a cleaner, safer and more user friendly work environment.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:59 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:...I'm pretty sure the state employees who work there on the executive residence staff will appreciate a cleaner, safer and more user friendly work environment.

And I'm pretty sure that what most state employees would "appreciate" is of little or no concern to the Walkers.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:11 pm

jman111 wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:...I'm pretty sure the state employees who work there on the executive residence staff will appreciate a cleaner, safer and more user friendly work environment.

And I'm pretty sure that what most state employees would "appreciate" is of little or no concern to the Walkers.

If your going to worry about state employees, the ones who cook for you are probably a good place to start
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:
jman111 wrote:And I'm pretty sure that what most state employees would "appreciate" is of little or no concern to the Walkers.

If your going to worry about state employees, the ones who cook for you are probably a good place to start

You misspelled "self-serving."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:
jman111 wrote:And I'm pretty sure that what most state employees would "appreciate" is of little or no concern to the Walkers.

You misspelled "self-serving."

No, you misunderstood my use of the term good.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/good
sound or valid: good judgment; good reasons.

I would suggest that making the people cooking for you and your buddies less interested in doing you harm is a sound or valid choice.

Of course a better choice would be not having cooks who might want to do you harm.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Wasn't it narcoleptish who said "don't mess with people who touch your food"?

Always good advice.

Corollary: A wise citizen puts him/herself in a position to touch the governor's food as often as possible.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:54 pm

snoqueen wrote:Corollary: A wise citizen puts him/herself in a position to touch the governor's food as often as possible.

I'm suddenly struck with the realization that I quite possibly shop at the same supermarket as the Walker family.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:No, you misunderstood my use of the term good.

I would suggest that making the people cooking for you and your buddies less interested in doing you harm is a sound or valid choice.

Yes, I'm familiar with how the Walker DOA protects his friends -- like the state troopers. I must have left my <humor> tag open, or maybe it's not compatible with your firmware.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:15 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:No, you misunderstood my use of the term good.

Yes, I'm familiar with how the Walker DOA protects his friends -- like the state troopers. I must have left my <humor> tag open, or maybe it's not compatible with your firmware.

my firmware occasionally mistakes you for a different foron who seems to not understand the use of humor. My apologies.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 am

Hey Francis, do you think Miller Lite tastes great or is it less filling? Personally, I think it tastes like piss and I've never drunk enough of it to tell you how filling it is, but I'm really curious to hear your take on it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:06 am

pjbogart wrote:Hey Francis, do you think Miller Lite tastes great or is it less filling? Personally, I think it tastes like piss and I've never drunk enough of it to tell you how filling it is, but I'm really curious to hear your take on it.

Don't know, if I'm drinking a carbonated malt beverage, I prefer beer.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:19 pm

A half-million for a kitchen doesn't seem so bad compared to $220,000 Bush spent for a bathroom for the secretary of the Interior.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/i ... itics.html

"The personal bathroom used by the secretary of the Interior is so swanky that its renovation cost $220,000. No detail was overlooked: It has a $3,500 sub-zero refrigerator (hey, if you're going to have a fridge in the bathroom, it might as well be a good one) and a $689 faucet. At least the "vintage tissue holder" was cheap: just $65 bucks.

The renovation was done in 2007 under President George W. Bush's Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne, but is only now coming to light, thanks to the dogged reporting by ABC News Atlanta affiliate WSB-TV, which first filed a Freedom of Information Act request on the renovation four years ago."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:10 pm

If I asked why on earth anyone would want a refrigerator in the bathroom, would the answer contain way too much information?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government