MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

UW losing Wiscnet for internet

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

UW losing Wiscnet for internet

Postby Shorty » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:44 pm

As part of the Republican takeover of gvmnt, the UW is losing Wiscnet for internet service so that private companies can provide worse service for more cost. Seems like a bad move. I wonder what the Wiscnet employees will do for jobs.

Audit seeks info on UW's new Internet plans
UW System institutions plan to discontinue their WiscNet memberships
http://www.channel3000.com/education/Au ... index.html

"A law that takes effect next summer will change how that arrangement works. To comply, UW System institutions plan to discontinue their WiscNet memberships and get Internet access elsewhere. In a report released Tuesday, the state Legislative Audit Bureau asked the UW System Administration to clarify how it will provide Internet services and how it will pay for them."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: UW losing Wiscnet for internet

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 am

This is instantly deplorable and predictable. It is too bad that folks do not keep up with the ramifications of this. Very bad for business.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:27 am

In other news, CompuServe is no more.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:48 am

I wish I had some insight as to why the Republicans don't like having a world class university in their capital city and are doing their level best to turn it into a high priced party school.

Do they think it will just continue to keep its standing no matter how much of its base they chip away? Or do they think of it as a football team with a bunch of elitist entitled union thugs riding its coattails?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:57 am

rabble wrote:Or do they think of it as a football team with a bunch of elitist entitled union thugs riding its coattails?

^ This.

It's fine to offer a new hire $2 million to start, so long as he's in a non-academic coaching position. Everybody else is an overpaid parasite. And forget about the millions upon millions gained through research and innovation. The people leading those efforts are all snooty brainiacs who think they're soooo much better than the rest of us. The sooner we send them scurrying off to another university where their talents will be rewarded and appreciated, the better.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:59 am

So the UW's 'world class status" hinges on who the Internet provider is? If the current service is good and efficient, they have nothing to worry about, right? In fact, they should welcome an audit.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:So the UW's 'world class status" hinges on who the Internet provider is? If the current service is good and efficient, they have nothing to worry about, right? In fact, they should welcome an audit.

I use the current UW network and I've used most of the private providers.

Once you've had to do any serious transmissions, like the UW has to do all the time, you understand why the UW's notion of "good and efficient" isn't the same one Ned's using. "Good and efficient" isn't enough when you're dealing with terabytes of research data and/or sensitive government information.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:So the UW's 'world class status" hinges on who the Internet provider is?

Uh, yes, it does Nedly.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:So the UW's 'world class status" hinges on who the Internet provider is? If the current service is good and efficient, they have nothing to worry about, right? In fact, they should welcome an audit.

Nothing to worry about? Besides the fact that the law changed so they may no longer be able to use Wiscnet?

UW schools are members of WiscNet, a nonprofit cooperative that provides high-speed Internet services to a majority of public schools in Wisconsin and nearly all public libraries. For many members WiscNet is able to offer services at half the cost of commercial providers, in part because it's tax-exempt and also because it doesn't have to pay for marketing and other operating costs.

The telecommunications industry lobbied heavily against the setup, arguing that WiscNet was using public subsidies to compete unfairly with the private sector. Lawmakers passed a law last year that restricted the UW System's involvement in telecommunications services.

UW officials are now left with limited options they say will be more expensive and could possibly leave UW schools isolated from broader research networks.

http://www.twincities.com/politics/ci_2 ... net-access

I guess saving taxpayers money isn't so important?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Sorry, not buying it. I've had family members work at the UW and the report is that there are nests of waste, corruption and slack in many places. I'm not sure if this office is guilty of that, but competition never hurt anyone. Hopefully, whomever takes over the contract will retain needed employees.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 pm

Jeopardy answer: Nest of waste.

Jeopardy question: What is wherever birdbrain Flanders happens to be perched at any given moment.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:47 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Jeopardy answer: Nest of waste.

Jeopardy question: What is wherever birdbrain Flanders happens to be perched at any given moment.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:09 pm

Ned Flanders wrote: but competition never hurt anyone.

Really? They deregulated the phone and cable industries in the name of "competition" and I have only seen the costs go up ever since then.

Ned Flanders wrote:I've had family members work at the UW and the report is that there are nests of waste, corruption and slack in many places.

Ha, welcome to the real world as those in the private sector like to always point out. This happens everywhere.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:31 pm

...competition never hurt anyone.

Competition has its place, but there's a reason the US has slower internet and more screwed-up, backward cell service than a lot of the industrialized world.

Instead of focusing on technology and on choosing and developing the best service for customers, US companies who are busy "competing." A lot of the time, that takes the form of Charter sending me three or four pieces of junk mail a week, which serves nobody but the post office.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Really? They deregulated the phone and cable industries in the name of "competition" and I have only seen the costs go up ever since then

Really? Remember what a big deal it used to be to call grandma "long distance" in Pismo Beach? My mother used to practically hold a stop-watch to time the call.

Remember when one of the neighbor kids would get their OWN PHONE in their room?

Oh, the luxury.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government