MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 45.0° F  Fog
Collapse Photo Bar

Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:35 am

A couple of people trying to run for city council in District 2, Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden, have been disqualified for not turning in statements of economic interests.

In that story, Kohl-Riggs refers to a checklist produced by the Government Accountability Board that tells candidates what they need to file for office. That checklist, found HERE, lists a Statement of Economic Interests, but only under a bold header that reads "Municipal judge candidates." It seems to me that one could argue the form is misleading.

Kohl-Riggs says that when he filed he asked if he needed to do anything else and an assistant city clerk told him he did not.

When we read about stuff like this happening, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the system is stacked. They don't really want anyone who is outside the club running for office, right? We can't really believe it when they insist that regular people, the kind of folks who don't fill out a lot of forms, should get involved.

I've never believed that the best route to helping make Madison better is through the City/County Building and disappointing stories like this are why.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 am

jjoyce wrote:When we read about stuff like this happening, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the system is stacked.

I don't know if I really buy this. From The city page:

Candidates for a municipal office in the City of Madison must file the following forms with the City Clerk's Office to be on the ballot:

Campaign Registration Statement
Declaration of Candidacy
Nomination Papers
Statement of Economic Interests

https://www.cityofmadison.com/election/ ... ilings.cfm

I know the GAB says something different, but wouldn't you REALLY do the research if you were interested. Also, do I want someone as my alder who is not thorough.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:56 am

If I were running for office, I'd ask the clerk what I needed to do. If the clerk gave me a checklist, I'd follow the checklist and turn in my forms and ask if there was anything else. If the clerk said no, nothing else, then I'd be justifiably pissed when told I couldn't run because, actually, there was something else and what the clerk told me was wrong and so was the checklist the clerk referred me to.

This "thorough" argument will be used by the entrenched, supported as they are by the bureaucrats in the clerk's office. Let the voters have a say in whether the candidates are thorough enough, not someone in the clerk's office who might not even live in the city.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:34 am

The prospective candidates can still run a write-in campaign. It worked for Senator Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska.

Ability to research and follow the ordinances is a basic skill I'd want in my alder, along with enough personal support from knowledgeable people to get guidance on basic procedures. At the same time I like to see contests for city council seats, which offer debate and criticism and help the candidates develop an understanding of what's important in the district, so I hope Kohl-Riggs and Bowden decide to run anyway.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Let's be clear. The important issue here is not that two candidates have been denied an opportunity to run with respect to how it may harm them individually. The issue is that voters in the affected districts may be denied a choice. If there is a legal path to getting them on the ballot, I think this should be done.

Let the voters decide if they are suitable for office.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:19 pm

jjoyce wrote: Let the voters have a say in whether the candidates are thorough enough, not someone in the clerk's office who might not even live in the city.

What? Cause they're in the tank for Dennis Denure?

viewtopic.php?t=46021

Or Bryan Post? Who the fuck is that?

Unfortunately that only leaves Zellers whom I don't really like. My opinion is that someone in the clerks office messed up, but so did Riggs for not getting all the info in. How did these other candidates know? It's not as if they're "entrenched" in the political machine.

I'm not saying I don't like Riggs, but I really don't see the bureaucratic conspiracy.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:The prospective candidates can still run a write-in campaign. It worked for Senator Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska.

Who, as the daughter of the governor, had slightly more name recognition than a guy with a hyphenated last name. If this isn't apples to oranges, it's at least apples to crab-apples.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:24 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
snoqueen wrote:The prospective candidates can still run a write-in campaign. It worked for Senator Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska.

Who, as the daughter of the governor, had slightly more name recognition than a guy with a hyphenated last name. If this isn't apples to oranges, it's at least apples to crab-apples.

Riggs also has facial recognition as he looks like Abraham Lincoln.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:When we read about stuff like this happening, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the system is stacked. They don't really want anyone who is outside the club running for office, right?

Who is "they"?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:55 pm

I think believing the system is stacked because two potential candidates didn't understand the instructions (which, as linked, are not obscure)shows poor reasoning.

2nd district alder Marsha Rummel had an opponent last election (Twink -- can't think of her last name -- neighborhood activist) and campaigning was lively. Rummel won by a generous margin but Twink came out with a respectable number of votes and continues to work for her neighborhood. Nobody's suppressing choice over in the 2nd district, one of the city's most politically active.

Arthur Kohl-Riggs has run for public office before as well, and he's hardly a nonentity on the east side. He ought to continue to campaign, in my opinion. I am not familiar with candidate Bowden, but he's got the same rights Kohl-Riggs has. He might have a better chance if there isn't a primary, because he'll have more time to make himself known.

If there's a conspiracy against opposing Marsha Rummel, who's conspiring? City bureaucrats? People in the second district? Somebody else on the City Council? Leftists? Conservatives?

I don't get it.

I don't live in that district, either.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 pm

snoqueen wrote:2nd district alder Marsha Rummel had an opponent last election

snoqueen wrote:If there's a conspiracy against opposing Marsha Rummel, who's conspiring? City bureaucrats? People in the second district? Somebody else on the City Council? Leftists? Conservatives?

Marsha is in D6 not D2 where the supposed conspiracy is occurring.

snoqueen wrote:Arthur Kohl-Riggs has run for public office before as well

I'm sorry, but if this guy ran before and didn't know the protocol, then that is really his own fault. He may have great ideas, but I fault his sensibility.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:48 pm

The system is stacked in that the only way you can really figure out how to run for office is if you know somebody who can run you through the various channels. But isn't city council the kind of office that a rank novice can try for? You only need 20 signatures... it's like an open tryout.

If we believe Kohl-Riggs, then he sought advice from people who run the system and they misled him. Some respond by saying too bad. People who don't understand how to navigate the system ought to not run for those offices, which is a great way for the system to remain exactly the way it is without ever having to change.

So, what, we only want people who are proficient in finding information on the city's website despite being told they should use the GAB checklist? It seems to me that someone should be on the horn with Kohl-Riggs seeking his opinion about how they should change the system to make filing for a city council election easier and less confusing.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 pm

jjoyce wrote:The system is stacked in that the only way you can really figure out how to run for office is if you know somebody who can run you through the various channels.

So here is what I did. First I searched for city of madison through the google and came up with this:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les ... 66&bih=600

Then I clicked on the first link and it brought me here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/

In the search box I typed "election information" and it brought me here:

http://www.cityofmadison.com/election/e ... didate.cfm

The sixth link down is candidate information and that tells you all you need to know to run. From there you can use that information to ask further questions. Was that REALLY so difficult. I mean, I guess I had to look six links down to see this. I guess that gets pretty confusing.

Jason, the next question to ask is how often this happens.

jjoyce wrote:If we believe Kohl-Riggs, then he sought advice from people who run the system and they misled him.

For fuck sake, he was able to figure out how to run for governor and can't figure out how to do this in Madison?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Sorry I got D-2 and D-6 mixed up. I don't live in either one any more., though Iived in 2 a long long time (and lord knows they need a good new alder).

The rest of my opinion stands. If there's a conspiracy, who's conspiring with whom, and to what end?

I think it's generally hard to get good city council candidates and rather than there being a conspiracy against people running, we have a shortage of people willing to do what is a difficult and stressful job.

If a potential candidate can't go to the city county building and ask enough questions to know how to go about filing, how is he qualified to be alder? That's what alders DO, in a way -- work with city bureaucracy in a productive way to help the people in their district. if the candidate can't even help himself do this, why is he qualified to help other people? It's not like the city council is the freemasons or something, where you have to ask one to be one.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government