MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Put Arthur Kohl-Riggs and Colin Bowden on the ballot

Postby Madsci » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:24 pm

So the City of Madison website kinda sucks for candidates for alder positions. Maybe they need more graphics.

I voted for Arthur in the primary for gov. So if he can't find how to run as a alder in Madcity, then maybe it is a good thing he didn't win as gov. Looking like Lincoln can only get you so far in life.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArthurKR » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 pm

Hey Moderator, Arthur Kohl-Riggs here, I posted a lengthy explanation around 12:30 this afternoon, it said it was waiting for Moderator approval and it still hasn't been posted.
ArthurKR

Postby ArthurKR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:21 am

"There was a form that said 'statement of financial interest,' and it said only for municipal judges. So I assumed that it wasn't relevant," says Kohl-Riggs.

Where exactly does it say "for municipal judges only"?

Right here of the GAB website the staff at the clerks office directed me to.
http://gab.wi.gov/elections-voting/cand ... n-partisan
ArthurKR

Postby ArthurKR » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

I posted this yesterday but it didn't get approved by the moderator until now and it is showing up on page two so I am reposting it so it shows up at the end of the thread as well.

Hope this answers some peoples questions.

ArthurKR wrote:Hey guys, Arthur Kohl-Riggs here. Here are the directions I was given by staff at the City Clerk's office when I went in to learn what was needed to get on the ballot. I was given no reason to believe that if I followed these instructions it would be insufficient.

Go to the GAB website
http://gab.wi.gov/

Hover over the drop down tab "Elections" Then click on "Candidates - Getting On The Ballot" where you will see this
"Click on the headings below for all forms necessary to become a candidate. Deadlines and the number of signatures required can be found on the Ballot Access Checklists."

then select "Local Candidates" and then "Non-Partisan"
If you scroll down a little bit you will see a section titled
"For Mayor, Alderperson, Town and Village Board Member, Municipal Clerk and Treasurer, and Municipal Judge"

You can then explore the GABIS-7 Ballot Access Checklist for Municipal Candidates where Nomination Papers are Used
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/g ... _11821.pdf
"Statement of Economic Interests (for Municipal Judges only)"

No where in any of these documents does anything mention that local municipalities may have different requirements to get on the ballot, in fact on the GAB website it indicates that these links are "for ALL forms necessary to become a candidate."

I was directed to and supplied with incomplete and incorrect information by the City Clerk's office produced by the GAB. I had in my possession what appeared to be a complete checklist for local candidates to get on the ballot from the official governing agency that oversees elections. Based on that information I thought I had done the necessary research.

Finally, on the date the SEI and petition signatures were due, when I was in the Clerk's office filing my nomination papers I asked if there was anything else I needed to submit, and I was told I was all set.

As soon as it was brought to my attention I immediately filed the late form, emailed the clerk and waited for their response. Instead, on Monday I get a call from an Isthmus reporter telling me it has been confirmed that I am not on the ballot, asking me how it feels.

I figured I should chime in with my side of the story, thanks for taking an interest.
I am about to get my wisdom teeth out so if I fail to respond quickly or my response doesn't make any sense I am sorry.

Arthur Kohl-Riggs
ArthurKR

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:33 am

Bumped since the moderation queue places posts where they would have been had they gone through un-moderated.

ArthurKR wrote:Hey guys, Arthur Kohl-Riggs here. Here are the directions I was given by staff at the City Clerk's office when I went in to learn what was needed to get on the ballot. I was given no reason to believe that if I followed these instructions it would be insufficient.

Go to the GAB website
http://gab.wi.gov/

Hover over the drop down tab "Elections" Then click on "Candidates - Getting On The Ballot" where you will see this
"Click on the headings below for all forms necessary to become a candidate. Deadlines and the number of signatures required can be found on the Ballot Access Checklists."

then select "Local Candidates" and then "Non-Partisan"
If you scroll down a little bit you will see a section titled
"For Mayor, Alderperson, Town and Village Board Member, Municipal Clerk and Treasurer, and Municipal Judge"

You can then explore the GABIS-7 Ballot Access Checklist for Municipal Candidates where Nomination Papers are Used
http://gab.wi.gov/sites/default/files/g ... _11821.pdf
"Statement of Economic Interests (for Municipal Judges only)"

No where in any of these documents does anything mention that local municipalities may have different requirements to get on the ballot, in fact on the GAB website it indicates that these links are "for ALL forms necessary to become a candidate."

I was directed to and supplied with incomplete and incorrect information by the City Clerk's office produced by the GAB. I had in my possession what appeared to be a complete checklist for local candidates to get on the ballot from the official governing agency that oversees elections. Based on that information I thought I had done the necessary research.

Finally, on the date the SEI and petition signatures were due, when I was in the Clerk's office filing my nomination papers I asked if there was anything else I needed to submit, and I was told I was all set.

As soon as it was brought to my attention I immediately filed the late form, emailed the clerk and waited for their response. Instead, on Monday I get a call from an Isthmus reporter telling me it has been confirmed that I am not on the ballot, asking me how it feels.

I figured I should chime in with my side of the story, thanks for taking an interest.
I am about to get my wisdom teeth out so if I fail to respond quickly or my response doesn't make any sense I am sorry.

Arthur Kohl-Riggs
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Arthur, it does appear that you got some bad information and bad advice. What are your plans?

And good luck with your wisdom teeth.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:35 pm

ArthurKR wrote:No where in any of these documents does anything mention that local municipalities may have different requirements to get on the ballot

From the GAB website:

Candidates should contact their filing officer for
further information

And Arthur, did you read any of my previous posts about filing for candidacy? I'm glad you're here and I hope that you can get this resolved, but I have to ask: How did you manage to run for governor with all the appropriate paperwork and not figure out how to run for alder? It was pretty easy for me to find and I figure you have enough people to ask for the right information. I also ask, do YOU think this was a conspiracy to bring you down? There are a lot of folks on the ballot who seemed to get their paperwork in, and I don't consider many of them to be "insiders"

I'm not trying to shit on you, but I question your tenacity. When I plan to buy something major I research the fuck out of it. I spend days researching the best products and totally geek out on what's best. I would do the same with running for an alder position. This isn't something to be taken lightly as you can influence what happens within our city. Did you do the research?
Last edited by Stebben84 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:42 pm

Adjust your attribution, Stebben; I didn't say that.

EDIT: Thanks.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am

Sorry Book, I changed it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby metas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 am

As a resident of the 2nd district I was looking forward to having five choices in the primary. I hope that Bowden and Kohl-Riggs are successful in getting back on the ballot.

Kohl-Riggs had the most creative ad in the neighborhood's newsletter. See page 24 of http://www.danenet.org/tlna/web-data/news/news01/012013.pdf. In the same newsletter on pages 10 and 11 four of the candidates introduce themselves.
metas

Postby ArthurKR » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 pm

I also ask, do YOU think this was a conspiracy to bring you down? There are a lot of folks on the ballot who seemed to get their paperwork in, and I don't consider many of them to be "insiders"

I do not think it was a conspiracy at all. I think it was carelessness by multiple parties, at various steps along the way. There just shouldn't be contradictory information on official election websites.

As to the "you ran before, why couldn't you figure it out this time" sentiment. When running for Governor all the paperwork and filing was done through the GAB. For that reason, I followed the instruction from the City Clerk to consult the GAB website, and nowhere on the website did it suggest that the City Clerk might have additional requirements. In fact, it stated quite explicitly that their information gave "all forms necessary". (http://gab.wi.gov/elections-voting/candidates)

I also did consult City Clerk staff by asking if there was anything left to file, and they falsely told me that I was all set. I acknowledge overlooking sources that did contain complete information, but I was more concerned with engaging with District 2 residents and developing a substantive platform.
ArthurKR

Postby Cooltapes » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:08 am

Here's a statement from Colin about this injustice:

"Thank you all for your support! If you don't know, I was profiled as a supposed threat to the 'State of Wisconsin' by Capitol building Police. I was not informed on my rights while this was going on, I was not told I was under arrest, nor was I told even WHY I had to be taken out of public space. I was told I am a spitting image of the person they thought called in a 'serious threat'. This is something I was used to in Chicago, not Madison. It's something we should NEVER be used to -- denial of rights for citizens and denial of responsibility for those in power.

Perhaps the man in this picture looks like me. I doubt it, but I guess people who don't know black people might mix us up. You see, when you get the wrong person because you're looking at color before the facts, you risk losing actual perpetrators. If they had spent more time on investigating and trying to find the actual person instead of any ole' black boy, they might've caught him sooner.

We need to learn our rights collectively and fight back against racial profiling in our city and state and country. I am one of the lucky, extremely lucky, that was let off after a few minutes. So many are locked up for crimes they didn't even think of committing and losing the rest of their life for it. Why is this acceptable? Racial profiling causes humiliation and reactions akin to other forms of abuse in its survivors. Why is that acceptable?

Well, it's not. And with you standing with me, and countless people and families in our state and country, it can be made, one day, to be no longer acceptable. I believe this because I must. I hope you believe it because you can.

Thank you again!"

Oh wait, wrong one.

"BOWDEN CAMPAIGN UPDATE POST NON-BALLOT STATUS DETERMINATION

On this past Monday, the City Attorney and Clerk determined Colin Bowden was not to be on the ballot as an alder candidate despite getting all the requisite forms into the City Clerk’s Office by the 2nd of January, 2013. He made a mistake of not realizing the Clerk wanted the Statement of Economic Interests in by 5PM of that day and so apparently ran afoul of Madison ordinance.

While our campaign feels the interpretation of Madison General Ordinance by the City Attorney is at best misguided, we cannot procure the resources needed to legally fight back, and so we must suspend the electoral campaign effective immediately. Our team has come to this conclusion because a write-in campaign while seemingly courageous would need more time, more resources and more energy that we have a little more than a month before a contentious primary. The Council including the future District 2 Alder, needs to step up and make this ordinance more balanced and fair so people are no longer having to run against other candidates and the Clerk’s office.

For the future, this campaign will only be suspended; it does not end. We will work to inform supporters and residents of relevant issues like reducing our growing poverty rate, getting shelter and housing for all who need it, keeping people in power accountable for their actions while making those halls of power more accessible for all of us, and keeping our school food healthy and our lakes clean so our children can enjoy their childhood fully and with as little preventable disease and malady as possible.

A candidate for alder that can speak to these issues along with the necessary development in a broad vision would earn the backing of many of my supporters. For now, the search goes to find that candidate and support them, because at the end of the day, the point was never about Colin Bowden, but about reducing inequity, cleaning our lakes, holding people in power accountable, and making policy so every person has a better life. That is the sort of campaign that can never be suspended and it won’t be now.

Thank you all for your well wishes and your support. We will be back."
Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government