MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 24.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Occupy Madison proposal

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Occupy Madison proposal

Postby Stu Levitan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:46 pm

CDBG staff wants more information before supporting OM proposal to buy Fordem Ave. property.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Occupy Madison proposal

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

I have no doubt that Captain McLay has the best interest us publics in mind, but ouch!.. this is a time and place to parse your words.

North District Captain Cameron McLay said that police would respond as they do to any risk to public safety. But, he added, "the devil is in the details."
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 am

"Occupy Madison, Inc. recently incorporated and is seeking nonprofit status.

Occupy Madison is now a corporation? I suppose the corporation, Occupy Madison, Inc. will expect first amendment rights.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

Meade wrote:
"Occupy Madison, Inc. recently incorporated and is seeking nonprofit status.

Occupy Madison is now a corporation? I suppose the corporation, Occupy Madison, Inc. will expect first amendment rights.

You sound as if you'd like to deny them this fundamental right of personhood in America.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Nah. Just let me do what they want. They are going to anyway. We might as well just make Fordam Ave. the city center for everything:

Neighbors who got wind of Occupy Madison Inc.'s plan, even before knowing a purchase of the building was imminent, were upset they were not apprised of the project.

"Our concern is with the process and the quiet way they have gone about this," Mike Kenitz, executive director of Center for Families, wrote in a Dec. 18 email to Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, who is the alderwoman for the area. "They must be assuming opposition and therefore trying to fly under the radar."

Rhodes-Conway herself was not contacted, as is traditional for these kinds of projects. She says the first she heard about it was when the group presented its site plans to the city's Development Assistance Team, which reviewed the project for code issues since the office building would now be used for housing.

"In some ways I feel like my support is assumed even though I haven't offered it," Rhodes-Conway says in an interview.

Kenitz was not just concerned about transparency, however. Center for Families is an umbrella organization for four groups including the Respite Center, which provides care to children and families under stress.

He told Rhodes-Conway his organization is not against services to homeless individuals, who are also served by his agency. But, he added, "We serve hundreds of vulnerable small children and many parents and need to know more about what is being proposed to move next to us."

Shannon Barry, executive director of Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, which is converting the old Sears warehouse at 2102 Fordem Ave. into a new shelter for abused women and their children, also expressed concerns to Rhodes-Conway.

"I am really surprised and disheartened that no effort was made to engage and dialogue with the neighborhood — especially two other nonprofits who serve vulnerable populations."
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Earthling wrote:Nah. Just let me do what they want. They are going to anyway. We might as well just make Fordam Ave. the city center for everything:

Did you take acid before you wrote that statement because it's all sorts of fucked up.

I do think it was pretty shady how they went about this. I think they are doing it out of benevolence, but burning bridges isn't the way to start a non-profit in the neighborhood.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Earthling » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:14 pm

I was being sarcastic. I think it's a terrible idea. But what do I know?
Earthling
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government