MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby DCB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm

wack wack wrote:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then. I'm not looking for medical professionals to be "crazy cops"; I want to introduce impersonal assessment into the gun purchase process. Mental health professionals can be as manipulated as anybody by their patients. The fact that one must be adjudicated as mentally ill before having their gun rights challenged is woefully insufficient.

To get a driver's license, you are required to pass some minimal tests, that includes physical health. An equivalent assessment for a gun license shouldn't be controversial.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 pm

wack wack wrote:I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.
Fair enough, especially given that neither one of our suggestions is likely to be taken seriously any time soon, let alone implemented.
wack wack wrote:I'm curious to hear, however, exactly how injecting a mental health assessment into the firearm purchase process would lead to worse health care.
I already addressed this. It would be a distraction from what mental healthcare providers are supposed to be doing.
DCB wrote:To get a driver's license, you are required to pass some minimal tests, that includes physical health.
You are? I wasn't.
Heck, they don't even make you take a driving test after your first time.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:07 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I already addressed this. It would be a distraction from what mental healthcare providers are supposed to be doing.

What should mental health professionals be doing, if not preventing mental health patients from harming themselves and others?

They have many responsibilities, but this has to be near the top of the list.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:12 pm

wack wack wrote:What should mental health professionals be doing, if not preventing mental health patients from harming themselves and others?
If a mental health professional feels there is an immediate danger, they are already obligated to do something about it. If there is no immediate danger, there is no reason to suggest they should be engaged with law enforcement to curtail the constitutional rights of their patients.
I thought we were gonna agree to disagree?

Oh, and for the record: I am not cranky today.
And unlike in the case of Arturo, I do not think your position makes you a terrible person, I just disagree that it would have a positive effect.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I thought we were gonna agree to disagree?

Fair enough.

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Oh, and for the record: I am not cranky today.
And unlike in the case of Arturo, I do not think your position makes you a terrible person, I just disagree that it would have a positive effect.

Thank you for that!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:24 pm

bdog wrote:To make sure people pay the sales tax they're supposed to.

But that's not an argument against online sale of guns, that's an argument against online sale of anything and everything.
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Dangerousman wrote:
bdog wrote:To make sure people pay the sales tax they're supposed to.

But that's not an argument against online sale of guns, that's an argument against online sale of anything and everything.

Hey! As someone who earns his living off the internet, I cannot say how strongly I am opposed to online sales tax. There is absolutely no valid reason there shouldn't be sales tax for online purchases*, of course, and lots of good reasons why there should be. But it would hurt my business, so everybody please be quiet now. And, oh, hey -- look at that cute cat pic over there...

*You're actually supposed to be self-reporting online purchases on your tax returns. Anybody actually do this?
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:You're actually supposed to be self-reporting online purchases on your tax returns. Anybody actually do this?

I do. Of course, I don't spend two-thirds of my disposable income at potterybarn.com, as a quick glance around my apartment would confirm.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:14 pm

I do too. It's very easy. I have a blanket rule not to buy stuff on the internet period. It's mostly to keep my dollars as local as possible, which is sort of an illusion but at least a person can try.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I earn part of my living from sales conducted over the Internet. I pay sales tax for my online purchases. Sales tax is regressive enough as it is.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government