MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:39 am

This thread has been jacked 'right'. This is as good a place as any to wrestle over our founding documents as I am very tired of those who have flapped them in our faces with subterfuge in mind.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 am

All I gotta say is if the Bill of Rights is solely about limiting the powers of government, they sure picked a stupid fucking name for the thing.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 am

Stebben84 wrote:
kurt_w wrote:I found that post (& comment) here:

http://www.bob-owens.com/2013/01/shock-the-system/

via a link from here.

I reported it to the FBI. Others may have, but I thought it was worth doing anyways.

Good. I expect most of the people commenting there are just a bunch of wanna-bes, and the most "direct action" any of them will ever take would be ... just posting a bunch of bluster on Facebook or Bob Owens's blog. But there's always the possibility that one of the guys egging each other on in that thread will cross the line into actual terrorism.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am

pjbogart wrote:Because we are the government.

And here we see it again: Everything within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Donald wrote:Original intent is bullshit. The Founders were smart enough to realize that a government that would last would be one that could change when necessary.

The Founders? Do you mean the "framers"? Or do you mean the "ratifiers"? At any rate, if the "founders'" original intent was to create an amendable constitution that would facilitate nonviolent change in government, wouldn't that make an assertion such as "orginal intent is bullshit" bullshit?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:03 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Jesus. Land wars in Asia, death matches against Sicilians, and non-literal statements about the Constitution. Got it.

Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I can sign a recall petition and not be arrested for it. Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I cannot run for the office of the Presidency until I have reached the somewhat mature and experienced age of 35. Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I can buy liquor. Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I cannot buy another human being.

Yes I understand that the amendments are literally phrased, by and large, in the negative related to legislative activity. But the final effect of these amendments is to ensure my ability to do certain things and prohibit my ability to do other things.

These people who refuse the authority of the federal government when they disagree with it, but cling to the authority of the 2nd Amendment as if it isn't an expression of the core authority of that same government -- our government -- just don't get it. Ninja, if you refute what I've written above, then one of us is equally blinkered.

LOL! You're such a clown.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:04 am

Mean Scenester wrote:All I gotta say is if the Bill of Rights is solely about limiting the powers of government, they sure picked a stupid fucking name for the thing.

Okay, that's funny. I can't argue with that.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:42 am

Solid reply, bro.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:46 am

Note to self: "clown" is the proper response when someone buries me with information I clearly don't understand.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:51 am

Ninja wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote: well rendered smackdown

LOL! You're such a clown.

OMG STFU DUMBASS
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:57 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I cannot run for the office of the Presidency until I have reached the somewhat mature and experienced age of 35.
Nitpick alert! The age restriction for prez is in the Constitution proper (article 2, clause 5) not any amendments. And you can run for President while you're still 34 as long as you'd be 35 by the time of your swearing in.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:However I think you are overlooking that the BoR does indeed specify several rights that a Citizen has, as well a baring the government from infringing on others. The 9th also makes clear that the BoR should not be read as a complete enumeration of rights of citizens or limitations of government.

That is a frequently held misconception, as the word citizen isn't used in the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights applies to all people, persons and those accused of crimes within U.S. territory. That is an important distinction.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 am

Bland wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Thanks to the authority of the amendments to the Constitution, I cannot run for the office of the Presidency until I have reached the somewhat mature and experienced age of 35.
Nitpick alert! The age restriction for prez is in the Constitution proper (article 2, clause 5) not any amendments. And you can run for President while you're still 34 as long as you'd be 35 by the time of your swearing in.

You're right, of course. I'm sure part of my brain meant to refer to age of voting eligibility, not presidential eligibility.

*Edited for spelling. Time to step away from the keyboard.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 am

Mean Scenester wrote:All I gotta say is if the Bill of Rights is solely about limiting the powers of government, they sure picked a stupid fucking name for the thing.

Heh. Funny thing is, that's essentially what Hamilton was saying - albeit more politely - in Federalist No. 84.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:18 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
Bland wrote:

You're right, of course. I'm sure part of my brain meant to refer to age of voting elegibility, not presidential eligibility.

Birtherdayers.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 am

Meade wrote:
pjbogart wrote:Because we are the government.

And here we see it again: Everything within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Thank you, Merde.

I'm glad you have the courage to expose "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" as the repellent concept that it is.
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government