MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Five to six hundred, according to the Capitol police.

Union thugs are not impressed.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:58 pm

snoqueen wrote:It had some version of "freedom comes from the barrel of a gun" credited to Mao. I laughed right out loud at the poetic justice.

Snoqueen misread that sign. What it really said:
"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun - Mao"

So, yeah - you have to laugh. But not exactly with Snoqueen, right?
Here's another sign that makes the same point missed by Snoqueen:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:18 pm

snoqueen wrote:The assembly was at the King St corner of the capitol, the speakers had their backs to the capitol, and the audience filled the space between the speakers area and the statue of Hegg (sic), so you can make your own guess as to how many people fit in that piece of sidewalk.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:23 pm

The entire quote from the Little Red Book (1964): "Every Communist must grasp the truth: Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

This really is the philosophy of the Republican Party and its affiliated gun wingnuts. The Communist Republican Party seeks to disenfranchise those who disagree with them. When you do not believe in a system that allows all people to vote and to have a say in government, the gun becomes more important to you as a means to obtain and hold power. It makes perfect sense.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Donald wrote:It makes perfect sense.

to paranoid schizoids.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:57 pm

from http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/ful ... p?id=93665

Hegg is the right spelling and the one used on the statue. Us Norskies know these things, ja? (Wikipedia has it wrong, though immigrant families including my own often used several spellings of their names.) Hegg fought in the Civil War, leading the only all-Scandinavian regiment that participated, so it's slightly ironic this highly retrogressive rally was held at his feet.

(Picture is from the 1950s, by Arthur Vinje, another Norwegian and well known Madison photographer from the mid century.)

I must have thrown out my Little Red Book in about 1970, so I'll let Donald supply the quote. Don't say I didn't warn you I was giving you "some version" when I wrote it up the first time. I should have taken pictures of the Gadsden flags so we could all make sure all the snakes were facing to the right not the left.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Donald wrote:The entire quote from the Little Red Book (1964): "Every Communist must grasp the truth: Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

Poorly translated Chinese. A better translation for the original term Zhengquan (政权) is "governing power," not "political power." Also, although it was collected by Lin Biao in the Quotations in 1964, Mao wrote it in 1938 in the midst of the three-sided war between the Communists, the Nationalists, and the Japanese. He meant that the future ability of the Communist Party to govern depended on the ability of the People's Army to fight and win in that war.

Unlike U.S. gun owners, when Mao wrote the phrase in 1938, he was not being paranoid. The Communists were the weakest of the three forces battling for control of China, and the Party truly survived only because of the efforts and sacrifices of the People's Army. Any similar between that situation and the one claimed by the pro-gun protesters on the Square is pure fantasy.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dangerousman » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:58 pm

Sno, had I known, we could have done lunch. Call me!
Dangerousman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm

I was there from about 12:30 to 1:00. I was surprised by the Mao quote on the sign too. Really! Good old American patriots quoting Mao. What's this world coming to?
There was also a sign that basically said schizophrenics are the problem not gun owners. Well, maybe, the problem is armed schizophrenics. Just say'n.
Finally, I will report that most of the signs had correct spelling. Please stop spreading the malicious rumors that 2nd amendment supporters are bad spellers. That's so mean.
grumpybear

Postby Meade » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:Hegg is the right spelling and the one used on the statue.

The spelling used on the statue? Which statue? Not the statue at the Capitol.

Take a look, kids: this is the level of accuracy and honesty where Snoqueen lives and breathes. Orwell said that "for a creative writer possession of the 'truth' is less important than emotional sincerity" and that "there are occasions when an 'untrue' belief is more likely to be sincerely held than a 'true' one."

Snoqueen is one such "creative writer". Her beliefs are sincerely held, her emotional sincerity is deeply sincere.

And she is deeply and absolutely mistaken.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Damn, Sno. You should praise Althouse some time just so we can watch Meade snark about how wrong you are.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Meade wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Well, Facebook has 304 confirmed guest and we all know how reliable event request are. I'm going for about 175 with a counter protest of about 50.

Looked like around 300 to me. No counter protest that I could see. Lots of holstered open carry.

I'll stand corrected. Not to bad for having 2.5 million gun owners in Wisconsin.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Oh the irony.

Something may have just gotten thrown into the works: Act 10 has been upheld by the 7th circuit court. Will the unionistas react by showing up at the capital? if so, ignore them and remain calm.

Oh and this:

A couple useful bits from the WI Constitution, both from Article 1:

Section 4.
Right to assemble and petition.
The right of the people peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition the government, or any department thereof, shall never be abridged.

I'm sure they're fighting for the rights of the solidarity singers.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:15 pm

"Hitler didn’t come over here because we were armed. We have the right to defend ourselves. It’s not about what kind of gun we’re defending ourselves with, it’s about defending ourselves with whatever gun we choose."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/acti ... z2ITgNJS7N

Holy fucking stupid. Granted, that was the chosen quote, but it was the State Journal.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
"Hitler didn’t come over here because we were armed. We have the right to defend ourselves. It’s not about what kind of gun we’re defending ourselves with, it’s about defending ourselves with whatever gun we choose."

Read more: http://host.madison.com/news/local/acti ... z2ITgNJS7N

Holy fucking stupid. Granted, that was the chosen quote, but it was the State Journal.

You know who else owned guns? That's right--Hitler!
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government