MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 82.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Saturday's gun rally at the Capitol

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:45 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sounds an awful lot like terrorism to me.

More than that, it's treason. And quite honestly it would be enough for me to rethink my whole stance on the death penalty were they to attempt such a thing. You're gonna try to take out a whole "liberal" city, ignoring the fact that there is no such homogeneous entity and you'd be doing-in countless innocent children who have yet to so much as develop a political consciousness? Okay ... the gallows are this way. Step lively, we want to dispatch all you murdering gun-hungry thugs in time for lunch.

I'm counting the minutes till this dipshit's retraction. We've seen it so many times. Idiot posts a threat on his Twitter page, gets a lot of attention, including some from guys in dark suits with ear pieces and then turns around and talks about how he "misspoke." These assholes have all the lasting conviction of a habitual drunk at bar time. They're huge fucking pussies, which I'm sure was the motivation behind their first handgun or assault rifle purchase in the first place.

Anyone who is so colossally stupid as to blog about this kind of shit is seriously underestimating the government's surveillance capabilities. You're anti-gub'mint, but you're using the latter day DARPAnet to broadcast your invective? Yeah, you're a fucking revolutionary genius, you are.

Let 'em all dangle, I say.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:No, you're definitely missing something. The 2nd Amendment -- like all amendments -- is 100% about the government telling people what they can and can't do.

That's the opposite of reality and no one who knows anything about the US Constitution would argue otherwise.
Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Ninja wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:No, you're definitely missing something. The 2nd Amendment -- like all amendments -- is 100% about the government telling people what they can and can't do.

That's the opposite of reality and no one who knows anything about the US Constitution would argue otherwise.

Isn't the 2nd Ammendment the one with "well regulated" somewhere inside it?

i is just a stoopid librul but i thot regulated meens the gummints makin me do sumthin.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Ninja wrote:

Let's me just pull up the Constitution, which I happen to keep handy on my phone for just such an occasion. Let's see ... ah yes, here it is, smack in the first paragraph of the Preamble to the Bill of Rights, to wit:

Our Founding Fathers wrote:THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

Emphasis mine.

I don't expect you to understand it, but the quickie translation is that you're dead fucking wrong.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Holy bejeebus!

This was my "favorite" comment from that blog site:
JypseaRose wrote:Very interesting read, this. Kept me up last thinking about it and I started wondering about unintended consequences like Jihad Sleeper Cells taking advantage of the chaos. What about other groups such as Neo Nazi White Supremacists, La Raza, Black Panthers seeing an opening to further their hate. What if maximum security prisons are affected by a downed grid and hardened prisoners overwhelming the system and escape. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Obama is playing with more than fire.

I love how his prejudices about how prejudiced others are is powerful enough to overpower his recognition of his own prejudices.
I also love how he walks through the dire consequences of the actions of his brothers-in-arms only to conclude that it would be Obama's fault.

There aren't nearly enough uglies in there.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Did you see the follow-up comment later, where someone else told him not to lump white nationalists in with the rest of the bad guys?

:roll:
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:05 pm

Galoot wrote:That is most certainly advocating domestic terrorism, and those guys should be locked up for many years.

A few years ago, DHS was going to issue a report on the threat of domestic terrorism from right-wing extremists. Republicans objected because they didn't like their friends being called terrorists. Really.

Of course, those are the same Republicans who are threatening to blow up the economy unless the President yields to their demands.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:07 pm

kurt_w wrote:id you see the follow-up comment later

Ya, and when someone called them out, they said they were just playing pretend. If it's just pretend, then why target just liberal cities?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:09 pm

This is the Facebook discussion you really need to see.

I have a request for my fellow patriots: I am putting music together to play before, during and after the event through the sound system I just picked up and am in possession of. My request....I need about 20 songs that are patriotic, pro 2nd Amendment, etc... I have one: Montgomery Gentry "Damn Right I am" So, please suggest 19 more. Thank you! (More than 20 is ok!)
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:12 pm

This sounds an awful to to me like Operation Hell on Earth.

"Okay, fine! We'll play Caribbean Queen at eight o'clock from a rented van."

Thank god for comedy. It's the only way I can weather such a real-world farce as this.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm

I can't believe there's no Ray Stevens on that list.
Forget it... I'm staying home.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:This is the Facebook discussion you really need to see.

I have a request for my fellow patriots: I am putting music together to play before, during and after the event through the sound system I just picked up and am in possession of. My request....I need about 20 songs that are patriotic, pro 2nd Amendment, etc... I have one: Montgomery Gentry "Damn Right I am" So, please suggest 19 more. Thank you! (More than 20 is ok!)

I think forons need to get on there immediately and start offering suggestions.

That discussion is pure awesomeness.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:23 pm

I think forons need to get on there immediately and start offering suggestions.

These are deranged people with guns. I'm not getting my facebook anywhere near there's. I'm all for forwarding it to Homeland Security though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:59 pm

I worked with some of these types on political issues (they can be good allies on some issues in the West), so I have a sense that most of the extreme talk is bluff and bluster. Most of these guys are not stupid enough to engage in any terrorist activity, though they may like to fantasize about it. They're more likely to believe that the government is engaging in terrorist activity and that they need to be armed to the teeth to prevent it. Because most of them are not, but pretend to be, self-actualized humans, they romanticize the idea that they will become part of an elite male-dominated corp that saves the United States from whatever largely imaginary threat that someone has been able to convince them exists. But, even then, their behavior usually does not match with their overblown rhetoric and belief in government conspiracies. For all the talk of "black helicopters" I heard during the 1990s, not one of these guys ever admitted to trying to shoot them down.

On the other, this sort of loose talk may influence people with similar fascination with guns and macho posturing, some of whom will be just a tad unhinged by a mental health issue or a personal issue (divorce, job loss, etc.). It's the unhinged hangers on that I worry about.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:

I can't believe there's no Ray Stevens on that list.
Forget it... I'm staying home.

You fans of "The Streak" are a persistent bunch.

Someone suggested Neil Diamond's "Coming to America", which confused me at first, but then I remembered Diamond explaining how he is fueled creatively by his massive hatred of immigrants on the VH1 Storytellers show. Now it makes sense.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government