MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 29.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Sales tax comin'

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Sales tax comin'

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:00 pm

snoqueen wrote:We could put a zillion toll booths between Milwaukee and Madison if we'd built that passenger rail line.

There's a lot of things that could have happened if Barrett knew how to run an aggressive campaign.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:08 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:There's a lot of things that could have happened if Barrett knew how to run an aggressive campaign.

I don't know if it's "knew how" or "wanted to" but yeah. When I heard he was running in the recall my first thought was "Huh. I wonder if he'll actually campaign this time."
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:52 pm

rabble wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:There's a lot of things that could have happened if Barrett knew how to run an aggressive campaign.

I don't know if it's "knew how" or "wanted to" but yeah. When I heard he was running in the recall my first thought was "Huh. I wonder if he'll actually campaign this time."

My first thought was, "we're fucked", which we were.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:13 pm

wack wack wrote:Why do you want to tax fat people? The GOP, FOX News, the NRA, the pro-life movement and the anti-gay agenda all produce much greater "negative externalities" for this country than fat people do.

While the aforementioned definitely produce negative externalities, I don't know how "much greater" they are, to me at least. For years I have cost my healthcare insurer next to nothing, yet the cost of my coverage is probably the same as thousands of unhealthy, overweight Wisconsinites who rack up enormous yearly healthcare bills. I don't think that's fair.

And on the subject of highway tolls. I went to Elgin Illinois yesterday and paid around $15 in tolls for the round trip. Can someone explain to me what the downside is to having, at the very least, a single toll booth right at the border charging $3-5 on major roadways?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am

For years I have cost my healthcare insurer next to nothing, yet the cost of my coverage is probably the same as thousands of unhealthy, overweight Wisconsinites who rack up enormous yearly healthcare bills. I don't think that's fair.

Do I ever agree.

I first started buying my own health insurance in 1980 (yes, that's right) when I got laid off from a job at the university. I never again had a job with insurance, so I kept that same self-paid policy right up until last year when I qualified for Medicare, It was not cheap, believe me, even though I had the biggest deductible they would write by time I was done.

And I never made a claim against it. I just poured money into that thing more than thirty years, never missing a payment, figuring what if I got run over by a semi.

I suppose it was the right thing to do, in a way, so I wouldn't need public assistance if I got in some wreck. Luck pays a part, for sure, and good genes too. But I work hard at taking care of myself and I'm careful and consistent.

In a way, the only incentive I had to stay healthy was because I hate the medical establishment so much. They've got their place, but on the whole I'll do anything to stay away from them, having seen way too much overtreatment, mistreatment, and plain errors along the way. If I were perfectly rational, I'd probably have adopted a bunch of unhealthy habits just to squeeze a few payments out of American Family before I left their grasp and got on Medicare.

I agree with narco. It doesn't seem fair. Insurance is basically a gamble, and narco and I tilt the tables as much in our own favor as we can. Somehow it seems like the insurance companies ought to acknowledge it and give us a break for not running in every time we sneeze. I don't have a solution except universal single-payer. I'd be glad to send them money to help everybody else, instead of buying the insurance agent a new Lincoln every few years.

End rant.

I agree about the toll booths, too. Put 'em in.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:41 am

snoqueen wrote:
For years I have cost my healthcare insurer next to nothing, yet the cost of my coverage is probably the same as thousands of unhealthy, overweight Wisconsinites who rack up enormous yearly healthcare bills. I don't think that's fair.

Do I ever agree.

Some time ago while searching for something else entirely I came across this. It's a fine rant and well worth your time.

For UK Uncut: Before and After an NHS
My nan is 95 years old. She was 32 when the NHS was founded. I asked her to tell me about her experiences of Britain before and after a National Health Service, and what she thinks of the government. This is what she told me.

When we were little, you had to pay to see the doctor. He’d give you a treatment, then a bill. Lots of people didn’t go because they couldn’t afford it – you only really used the doctor if it was something serious. I remember my twin sister, Gladys, had a bad leg and she didn’t go to school for a year. She never saw a doctor – it was too expensive. We’d try and cure ourselves instead. Everybody had a home remedy for something. Doctors were different too: they didn’t care for you like they do now. Our doctor was a mean and snappy man. I had to get some medicine for my grandmother when she was ill once. He told me, ‘it’s not a doctor you need. It’s a vicar.’ I dreaded going to see him after that. My granddad didn’t have teeth or glasses, even though he had bad eyesight. He just couldn’t afford it. It was the same for everyone who was poor: if you couldn’t afford it, you didn’t get it.

When I was 11, my brother was born. A neighbour delivered him, and she had to walk for two miles to get to us. He died after four hours. We called him Arthur, ...
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 am

After NHS:

""Shockingly bad care and inhumane treatment at a hospital in the Midlands led to hundreds of unnecessary deaths and stripped countless patients of their dignity and self-respect, according to a scathing report published on Wednesday," reports the New York Times's Sarah Lyall from London:

The report, which examined conditions at Stafford Hospital in Staffordshire over a 50-month period between 2005 and 2009, cites example after example of horrific treatment: patients left unbathed and lying in their own urine and excrement; patients left so thirsty that they drank water from vases; patients denied medication, pain relief and food by callous and overworked staff members; patients who contracted infections due to filthy conditions; and patients sent home to die after being given the wrong diagnoses."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323951904578292154245228358.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_MIDDLETopOpinion
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:37 am

Okay, so let me get this straight: One hospital is mismanaged into horrible, illegal conditions, gets caught, the government admits and defines the problem without trying to cover it up, and announces how the system is being modified. Therefore all national health care is bad.

Interesting quote in the original piece:
“They were failed by a system which ignored the warning signs and put corporate interests and cost control ahead of patients and their safety,”

Thank god we've got nothing like that going on here.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government