MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Sunday, July 13, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Not voting today

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Not voting today

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

I've already been lectured about this by someone who is obviously a far better citizen and human being than myself, but I can't think of a reason to vote today. It might be different if there was a primary in my city council district or the circuit judge race, but there's not. The supreme court race will be more ridiculous than ever this year and I can't imagine that there's any chance that Roggensack will lose the general. That the Prosser vs. Bradley incident is an issue in this primary is disappointing. As for the school board, that body has done about as much to distinguish itself over the last several months as my junior high's student council. Not interested.

What pushed me over the top was the collection of emails from candidates this morning demanding, in all caps, that I vote today. These candidates weren't asking for my vote, they were commanding me to get to the polls.

I'll be sitting this one out.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Not voting today

Postby jman111 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 pm

jjoyce wrote:...I can't think of a reason to vote today.

Voter apathy disappoints me.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Right... The school board is fucked up, so you're not going to participate in the one thing that might change its direction, namely electing a new member.

That's some nice logic you got there, Joyce.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Then please refrain from lecturing anyone about the responsibility to vote in the future. Thanks in advance.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 pm

I don't have a problem with you sitting out this (decidedly minor) vote but I do question why you thought you should publicly announce that fact. What were you hoping to accomplish with this thread? Were you trying to convince others not to vote?
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:35 pm

I think it was just to piss off minicat. I'm not sure what the dynamic is, but mini posts a "Hey, get out there and vote!" exhortation and an hour and half later, Jason says "Nah. Don't think so."

Coincidence? I think not.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

There was absolutely nothing in my post that could be remotely confused with an attempt at persuasion (I even said I'd probably be voting if there was a council race in my district). I just think that in a city where every other person is pleading with and/or demanding that everyone they know get out and vote, I'm sitting this one out.

If I've ever tried to convince people to vote in the past, I apologize. The canvassers who have visited my doorway, interrupting whatever I'm doing, to make sure I'm going to vote (or, worse, vote early) show an almost comical lack of common courtesy. And the increasing number of calls to my home phone over the past few years (which, for some reason, don't run afoul of do-not-call legislation) from well-meaning volunteers are obnoxious. It adds up.

I've said it before: Politics blows, mainly because of politicians. I used to be keenly interested in the mechanics behind elections and now couldn't be more frustrated by it. Watching Frontline dissect the maneuvering behind fiscal cliff negotiations was as disgusting as it was fascinating. The money involved in politics has ensured there's not a lot of consideration for those who don't subscribe fully to one of the major party lines.

It seems like right now in Wisconsin, if not the whole country, if you believe some government policies hinder economic development (or even if you simply believe that economic development is be an important step in helping solve a lot or our problems), you're a Tea Partier. And if you believe government isn't doing enough to fight poverty, you're a Marxist.

But you're right, it might just be to piss off minicat.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:12 pm

jjoyce wrote: I just think that in a city where every other person is pleading with and/or demanding that everyone they know get out and vote, I'm sitting this one out.

So, absent this dynamic, you would have been the first one at the polls this morning?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:And the increasing number of calls to my home phone over the past few years (which, for some reason, don't run afoul of do-not-call legislation) from well-meaning volunteers are obnoxious. It adds up.

I'm pretty sure do-not-call legislation is just relevant to straight up sales calls and don't apply to the things politicians love (polls, 'get out the vote', etc.).

You must be in some kind of political hot-spot - we got hit pretty hard in the run-up to the presidential election, but haven't heard a peep from anyone so far this cycle.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 pm

jjoyce wrote: I've said it before: Politics blows, mainly because of politicians.

So you decide not to participate in choosing better politicians. Got it.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 pm

I got two door hangers and a mailing, all from school board candidates.

Oh, the horror!
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:So you decide not to participate in choosing better politicians. Got it.

Best Foron tactic ever.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Even after several more paragraphs of supposed explanation, I still have no idea what the purpose of the OP was.

I still have no problem with you sitting this one out, I'm just confused why you felt it necessary to announce that to everyone. Because if you wanted to start a reasonable discussion about the issues you raised in your follow-up post you could have done so without declaring your intention not to vote.And then maybe folks would be discussing those things instead of piling on your for shirking your civic duty.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

I could have, but I didn't.

Still surprised at how willing people are to tell other people what to do.

I'm not encouraged by anyone on the ballot today. You are. To put it how Michael Patrick would, got it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Still surprised at how unwilling you are to explain the motivation for your post.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government