MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Drizzle Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

School board race heated already

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: School board race heated already

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Saw this article from the other day.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 963f4.html

These two quotes got me intrigued:

“We are an independent school. So theoretically it would benefit us financially. But philosophically we do not support it,” says Mary Campbell, education director with Wingra School, a private, independent school in downtown Madison with a tuition of roughly $13,500 a year and an enrollment of 122 students.

EAGLE School in Madison is another private school that would not accept vouchers, according to its director, Carole Mason.

But unlike Wingra, which wouldn’t participate for philosophical reasons, Mason says EAGLE’s stringent admission standards would preclude it from accepting voucher students.

So two private schools already saying they won't participate. It got me wondering about private schools in Madison. I found this:

http://www.privateschoolreview.com/town ... ownid/8032

Nearly every single one was religion based and of course those schools have already come out in favor of vouchers. Why? Cha ching. These churches have private schools so they can raise revenue and indoctrinate kids into their religion. I'm not saying all of these schools have bad teachers, but what makes them so much better than public. The two private schools quoted above want to keep enrollment small and opening up to vouchers would change that. I do believe that Walker wants to privatize education and, at the same time, make sure more kids are going to a religious school. I realize this is speculation, but he is one ultra religious guy.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:08 pm

So what is the affect if MMSD adds students? Is it still $9,000 per student? And if so should MMSD be looking to add students that have an actual cost per student lower than 9K?

If a new program such as 4 year old kindergarten happens is this a net gain since certain infrastructure costs are fixed. What is the affect on MMSD for this? Should the school next look at 3 year old K because it makes money?

Should MMSD then be actively trying to recruit students? Is this why some schools are advertising virtual campuses? (High State revenue for increasing enrollmentand low cost)

And will this all end up like medical insurance where schools spend more time and money on marketing to the detriment of the service provided?
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm

While we're asking all those questions, here's one;

Should MMSD recruit foreign students?
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:04 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Me, in my post two above yours. Granted, I didn't link to a news article which is your M.O., but lets read through the threads people.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Stebben84 wrote:

Me, in my post two above yours. Granted, I didn't link to a news article which is your M.O., but lets read through the threads people.

Er, what? I don't think Hank was surprised at the news.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 pm

The Catholic Church hierarchy has always been about accumulating wealth and power for itself, and don't have any moral scruples about how they go about it. Whether it's guilting money out of its own faithful or stealing the wealth of Jews or that of old women who they accused of witchcraft or selling indulgences, the Catholic Church has been always found ways to siphon money in morally corrupt ways. So, what gets you wealth and power today? Cozying up to a Governor who stole from teachers and state workers so that money can be dished out to Catholic church institutions. Sounds about right for this "Christian" church.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Donald wrote:The Catholic Church hierarchy has always been about accumulating wealth and power for itself, and don't have any moral scruples about how they go about it. Whether it's guilting money out of its own faithful or stealing the wealth of Jews or that of old women who they accused of witchcraft or selling indulgences, the Catholic Church has been always found ways to siphon money in morally corrupt ways. So, what gets you wealth and power today? Cozying up to a Governor who stole from teachers and state workers so that money can be dished out to Catholic church institutions. Sounds about right for this "Christian" church.

While I respect your use of capitalized characters, I find it a miss applied honor.

mh
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:17 am

Could you please take the discussion of the Catholic Church and school vouchers to another thread, please? This one is about the Madison Metro School District elections. Thanks.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:03 am

Thanks for the corrective action. I will take your lead and seek solace in the act of lurking.
Sorry, but I think that you might be missing the budding of a broader discussion. Spring is upon us ya know.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:09 am

Stu Levitan wrote:Could you please take the discussion of the Catholic Church and school vouchers to another thread, please? This one is about the Madison Metro School District elections. Thanks.

You don't think the school voucher issue has any connection to the school board race?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:34 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Stu Levitan wrote:Could you please take the discussion of the Catholic Church and school vouchers to another thread, please? This one is about the Madison Metro School District elections. Thanks.

You don't think the school voucher issue has any connection to the school board race?

And considering it's not a "heated" race anymore, I see no problem with the deviation. Or do you want us to just talk about the heated race between Mertz and Mertz?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:55 am

Yeah. And you don't think the Madison Metro School District elections have any connections to Jeffery Dahmer?

david cohen wrote:Oh boy. It IS that time of year! I've known TJ Mertz for close to a decade via my personal involvement in MMSD issues. If he is a sexist, then Jeffrey Dahmer was a vegan.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:46 am

Stebben84 wrote:Or do you want us to just talk about the heated race between Mertz and Mertz?

I'm telling everyone I know to vote for Mertz, because there's no way we can allow Mertz to be elected. So please get to the polls to vote Mertz and remember. A vote against Mertz is a vote for Mertz.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 am

green union terrace chair wrote:I'm telling everyone I know to vote for Mertz, because there's no way we can allow Mertz to be elected.

Especially after what Mertz said about Mertz the other day. The rhetoric is getting pretty heated. I personally think Mertz is lying, and Mertz should call Mertz out on it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government