MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Manski with a Planski

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Manski with a Planski

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

Thought this deserved its own thread:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=39175

I have some respect for the Greens working simply to be on the ballot and part of the local political discussion. But this sort of confirms to me that when Greens run, they're not seriously running to win.

In an election with really, really low turnout, a Green wins in Madison. Two days later she drops out. Does this help or hurt the Green Party?

And while it would not take much to get me to move to California (swimmin' pools, movie stars), I wonder if elected office might/should trump spouse's graduate school, particularly when one's life's work is wrapped up in the Green political movement.

My takeaway from this is that Greens aren't serious about leading. Is that too cynical?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Manski with a Planski

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm

My takeaway is that the Manskis are climbers and nothing else matters to them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Eh, just this particular Green. You can't indict an entire party based off of one local politician who's never held office.

But yeah ... why hold this in until right after the election? Did they really JUST decide to move to California? Was their some electoral outcome that would have caused a decision to stay?

Who can say if Mirilli would have had a chance in the general against Mertz? Now we won't know because of Manski's poor planning.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

I agree with Henry except that I haven't seen the Manskis climb to anything except seeing their names in the media.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:You can't indict an entire party based off of one local politician who's never held office.

Seriously?!?

Ben was very up front about how jacked he was that there were so many Greens he knew running in elections. But that's all it is, running. They don't have pragmatic plans to govern because they don't actually think they will.

From Manski's statement:

I have just learned that my husband had been admitted to sociology PhD programs in California

"... had been... "? That's a curious choice of words. How long ago? And do we buy it?

The result of this is that Madison voters have been denied a real choice for school board in this particular race in order to prove some kind of point about third party viability.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:
I have just learned that my husband had been admitted to sociology PhD programs in California

"... had been... "? That's a curious choice of words. How long ago? And do we buy it?
This is more or less the time when graduate programs send out the first round of admissions letters. I have friends going through the process right now.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 pm

jjoyce wrote:From Manski's statement:

http://votemanski.com/my-withdrawal-race

"I have just learned that my husband has been admitted to sociology PhD programs in California, but not in Wisconsin or other nearby schools."
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:37 pm

As mayor I know the success of our city starts with strong schools, and Sarah Manski is committed to building a strong partnerships with the city and our schools. That's why I'm committed to seeing Sarah Manski - who is smart, successful and dedicated - elected to the school board.
Paul Soglin
Mayor, City of Madison

How embarrassing for Soglin and all the other career lefties who endorsed her.

Also embarrassing for Ben not to be admitted to UW's sociology PhD program as it is widely known that UW's is THE premier sociology program in the world..
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 pm

An interesting edit. "had" to "has."

Here's another interesting edit: She's scrubbing negative comments from her campaign's Facebook page. A few hours ago, she posted her bittersweet news here: http://www.facebook.com/sarahgracemansk ... 6192069067

Someone left a negative comment (not a cheap shot or off topic) which you won't find at that link, but you will see on this screenshot:

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:57 pm

jjoyce wrote:An interesting edit. "had" to "has."

What's so interesting about it?

jjoyce wrote:Here's another interesting edit: She's scrubbing negative comments from her campaign's Facebook page.

Again, what's so interesting about that?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, Lukas, you're a little closer to the whole third-party movement than I am, but it seems like a lot of lip service is paid to running campaigns the right way, being transparent and devotion to democracy.

The choice for Madison voters is now between TJ Mertz, certainly a strong candidate capable of winning any fair election, and someone who's not just leaving town and suspending her campaign, but seems to be unable to face any kind of criticism for this decision, made just a day after asking supporters to help her raise $8,000 to beat Mertz.

Anybody here give her money?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:Well, Lukas, you're a little closer to the whole third-party movement than I am

Uh, what?

jjoyce wrote:but it seems like a lot of lip service is paid to running campaigns the right way, being transparent and devotion to democracy.

I agree completely. But I'm not sure what an obvious typo has to do with that. Nor am I particularly surprised about negative comments being deleted, regardless of political stripe.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:The choice for Madison voters is now between TJ Mertz...and someone who's not just leaving town and suspending her campaign, but seems to be unable to face any kind of criticism for this

"No, there is another" - Yoda

Dear Supporters,

We, like many of you, just heard the news that Sarah Manski has decided to drop out of the race for Seat 5 of the Madison School Board.

Ananda will be thinking over the impact that this has on the race and on her candidacy.

Any questions should be directed to voteananda@gmail.com

Thank you for your amazing support for Ananda and our schools!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 pm

lukpac wrote:an obvious typo

If you say so...
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:
lukpac wrote:an obvious typo

If you say so...

What's the alternative? That her husband already knew...and kept it from her? And that she subsequently changed the wording because...why, exactly?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government