MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Where is the Cap. Times? Re: Manski

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Where is the Cap. Times? Re: Manski

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:21 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Got an answer of sorts from Nichols.

Uh, you posted your question. Are you going to post the answer?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Sure, just as soon as Meade answers my question.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Sure, just as soon as Meade answers my question.

Jeebus, are you 13? Others besides Meade are interested as well.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Got an answer of sorts from Nichols.

Now please answer my question -- when you posted the link to Blaska's column, were you being intellectually dishonest, or just showing poor reading skills? .

Stu, after you loaded your question for me, did you temporarily hide it under your hat or in your private parts?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:Now please answer my question -- when you posted the link to Blaska's column, were you being intellectually dishonest, or just showing poor reading skills?

Why are you assuming the answer is either/or?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:44 pm

For those of you waiting on tenterhooks:
My friend Stu Levitan asked whether I had any sense that Sarah Manski might not be able to serve a full term or might have to quit the race. I didn’t. I was as surprised as other folks, and as disappointed, by the pattern of events that led to her leaving the contest.

If you want see the whole column, it's here.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:57 pm

That’s focused a good deal of attention on Manski, who I’ve known since she was writing for the Daily Cardinal on the University of Wisconsin campus. Among the several boards I have served on over the years, including those of the media reform group Free Press and Women in Media and News, I’ve been on the board of the reform group Liberty Tree, for which Manski has done fundraising work. Manski’s husband, Ben, worked for Liberty Tree before he left to manage Green Party candidate Jill Stein’s presidential run.

When Mary Burke, a board member of the Evjue Foundation, the charitable arm of The Capital Times, ran for the School Board last year, it was evident well before she announced that she was considering a run. But I was surprised when Manski got into the School Board race. I talk to a lot of folks who are thinking about running for office, at the local, state and national levels, but she didn’t contact me as she was preparing her campaign. Neither did the folks who put together what proved to be a successful primary run. My friend Stu Levitan asked whether I had any sense that Sarah Manski might not be able to serve a full term or might have to quit the race. I didn’t. I was as surprised as other folks, and as disappointed, by the pattern of events that led to her leaving the contest.

Blech.

What does any of it have to do with schools, education, kids and families? Enough about the incestuous (and ultimately ineffective) political scene. Put up or shut the hell up.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks to Detritus for using tenterhooks properly. Now if we could just sort out flout vs flaunt.

I don't get the impression running Manski was any kind of inside job or that her supporters knew she might leave before serving. Sorry, conspiracy theorists. I'm not saying I believe everything John Nichols writes is the last word, but the evidence just isn't there.

I still say we need school board members elected by high school attendance area (I like some at-large seats too -- thanks for a friendly amendment in the other thread), and we need a fresh start with the right people. With that said, why is talking about how to get the right people on the board unproductive? You hire and elect the right people and then you work with THEM to address ground-level problems of "schools, education, kids and families." Campaigns in which the candidates tell us what they think is important and disclose their qualifications help us pick the best people to serve. You can't put the cart before the horse or shortcut the selection phase of the process. Those who truly want to cut to the chase have to attend their kids' school-level meetings and get their hands dirty, and they get a huge amount of respect from me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government