MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:54 am

Doright_Dudley wrote:New list of reasons to not enforce the Clean Water Act on the Bad River Chippewa.


Who is saying the Clean Water Act shouldn't be enforced?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Doright_Dudley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:58 am

Donald wrote:DipShit Dudley...

I'm not sure why you come here to this site, when you could be solving what you claim to be a serious problem.


Typical name calling as expected.

"claim to be a serious problem". The EPA is issuing the violations.

The Bad River Band had the most violations of any wastewater treatment facility in the state according to the NYT report.

Again, where is the environmental outrage?
Doright_Dudley
Senior Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 am

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Doright_Dudley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 am

lukpac wrote:Who is saying the Clean Water Act shouldn't be enforced?


What do you think should be done about the continued violations of the Clean Water Act by the Bad River Band?
Doright_Dudley
Senior Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 am

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby O.J. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 am

Did you eat paint chips when you were a kid, Dudders?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3012
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am

Doright_Dudley wrote:What do you think should be done about the continued violations of the Clean Water Act by the Bad River Band?


Why do you ask?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am

Doright_Dudley wrote:Rabble,

Forget about the mine - you brought it up in the first place.

Why won't you address the issues in the report?

The article you posted brought it up in the first place. Let's work from there.

Why do you think they brought it up?

Why do you want to forget it now?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6550
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Doright_Dudley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 am

Rabble,

Why won't you address the issues in the report?
Doright_Dudley
Senior Member
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:19 am

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby lukpac » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:47 am

Doright_Dudley wrote:Why won't you address the issues in the report?


Why are you asking about the issues in the report?
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:51 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:50 am

The EPA should enforce the Clean Water Act standards and the tribe should be fined until they comply.

Does that address the issue enough for you?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5175
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby HawkHead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 am

The Bad River Chippewa should clean-up their waste water treatment plant. I am not an expert on Native Treaties or Lands so I have no idea how that is done.

Are you happy? No one here said they shouldn't clean it up but pointed to the obvious conclusion you are trying to push that becasue the BRC have a treatment plant that doesn't meet standards they should have no voice in the debate about the mine.

That being said, just because someone pees in the swimming pool doesn't mean they don't have the right to be pissed when someone shits in it and it has to close for the day.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Donald » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

This guy has no idea how environmental enforcement works, or doesn't work. He is just spouting nonsense.

I have seen no Notice of Violation on this particular facility. He's complaining because the Bush administration EPA didn't take action. Yeah, I agree, but that was true for lots of entities.

After the Bush administration failures to enforce there is a large backlog of problems. I'd definitely be for adding more EPA and Department of Justice staff to clear a lot of the Bush backlog I think he would probably not agree to that. Absent that, he has the power to submit a formal complaint or initiate a citizen suit. Until he does that he's just not serious.

The only other time these righty types were concerned about pollution from waste water treatment plants was when Tom Barrett was running. It's more or less a pattern here in Wisconsin that Republicans get concerned about pollution when they can use it politically. Otherwise, they could care less.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2416
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:53 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Meade » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:42 am

HawkHead wrote:That being said, just because someone pees in the swimming pool doesn't mean they don't have the right to be pissed when someone shits in it and it has to close for the day.

False analogy. This would be closer: Just because someone knowingly and continually allows their raw sewage to discharge into the public swimming pool doesn't mean they don't have moral authority to block a new neighbor from moving in because, after all, the new neighbor could - potentially - end up doing something even worse.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby rabble » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 am

Welllll.... not quite close enough.

Just because somebody has let sewage drain into the pool doesn't mean someone else in their neighborhood can't block someone who wants to come in, dig great big gaping holes all around the pool, and then leave.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6550
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 am

The big question is: does the proposed mining bill sufficiently protect the environment? After all, the voters in the counties that would be affected don't seem to think so, considering the results of recent state elections. Those citizens aren't buying into claims that more jobs will offset any environmental concerns (not matter what Alberta Darling says).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20282
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: Clean Water Act Violations by Bad River Chippewa

Postby HawkHead » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:54 am

I haven't looked but is there actually a legislative member who is sponsoring the mining bill this time?

It seems that if not ONE representative is willing to put their name on the bill it shouldn't come to vote. Doesn't someone need to motion/sponsor to bring the bill to vote? It has been a long time since I have used Robert's Rules of Order.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 913
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar