MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Federal court to GOP: Make the computers available

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Federal court to GOP: Make the computers available

Postby kurt_w » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:28 am

snoqueen wrote:
Meade wrote:I'm a huge opponent of fraud, misrepresentation, and misconduct wherever those acts occur.

Let's just frame that for now.

Hey, at least Meade was able to take a moment to post something outside of the eight (?) Manski threads he's contributing to.

The thing is, all eight of those threads are in "Local Politics and Government". Wouldn't it be better to branch out a bit?

Here are a few suggestions for topics to help Meade out with his mission:

National Politics and Government: "Why is Obama not coming clean on ManskiGate?"

Headlines: "Manski Coverup Linked to Benghazi"

Catch-All: "My Favorite Anagrams of 'Sarah Manski'"

Town Vibe: "What Does Manski's Behavior Tell Us About Madison's Culture?"

Sports, Recreation, and Biking: "Will Mallards Fans Show Up For Games This Spring If ManskiGate Is Still Festering?"

Travel: "Help Raise Funds to Send New Media Meade And His Video Camera To California To Do Some Investigative Journalism"

Movies: "What Movie Character Does Sarah Manski Remind You Of?"

The Arts: "John DeMain Should Address ManskiGate From The Podium At The Next MSO Concert"

Cooking and Food Issues: "Snack Recipes To Keep You Going While Spamming The Forum With Manski Posts"

Comments on Isthmus & TheDailyPage.com: "Day 15 of Isthmus's Attempt To Cover Up ManskiGate By Not Opening A New Section of The Forum Focused On All Manski, All The Time
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kurt_w » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:34 am

Meade wrote:I'm a huge opponent of fraud, misrepresentation, and misconduct wherever those acts occur.

Aren't those three basically your signature style here? Coping with that much self-loathing must be difficult.

What's next? MadMind announces that he opposes the objectification of women, PJ Bogart advocates teetotaling, DangerousMan denounces the NRA, and Chuck Schick resurfaces to inform us that he's opposed to the use of insults on the Forum.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I know *I'm* shocked.

Documents were deleted from state redistricting computers last year even after a lawyer for the Legislature told lawmakers' aides to preserve all records on the computers, according to documents filed Wednesday in federal court.

Nine hard drives were recently given to groups suing the state because of questions about whether legislators and their attorneys had turned over all the documents they had been ordered to provide. One of the nine hard drives was unreadable and the outside of it was dented and scratched, which suggested its metal housing had been removed, according to affidavits in the case.

In addition, some of the hard drives had a program installed on them to remove electronic data and hide files that had been deleted, according to the filing. So far, however, a computer expert has not been able to determine if the program was actually used.

Left unanswered so far is who deleted the documents and what records were removed. The technician now reviewing the computers hopes to recover at least some of the deleted documents.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 33071.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:22 pm

lukpac wrote:I know *I'm* shocked.

Documents were deleted from state redistricting computers last year

Goodness. How could such a thing have happened? What an unfortunate accident! There is no time to waste; we must immediately form a committee and discuss candidates to head the investigation. No matter how long it takes or how much it costs, we'll find out who's honest mistake it might have been and why it isn't necessary to file any charges!
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:32 pm

The governor should just pre-emptively pardon everyone involved. Wisconsin needs to focus on job creation.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:The governor should just pre-emptively pardon everyone involved. Wisconsin needs to focus on job creation.

There's a bunch of lawyers getting work over this mess.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

There's some lawyers gonna lose their license over this mess.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:39 pm

Stu Levitan wrote:There's some lawyers gonna lose their license over this mess.
Wow. How many lawyers is there?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:25 am

lukpac wrote:I know *I'm* shocked.

Documents were deleted from state redistricting computers last year even after a lawyer for the Legislature told lawmakers' aides to preserve all records...

Nine hard drives were recently given to groups suing the state because of questions about whether legislators and their attorneys had turned over all the documents they had been ordered to provide. One of the nine hard drives was unreadable and the outside of it was dented and scratched...

In addition, some of the hard drives had a program installed on them to remove electronic data and hide files that had been deleted...

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 33071.html

Call NCIS! Abby and McGee can repair and recover data from anything.

Is it still petty partisanship to wonder why lots of Republicans aren't in jail yet?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:32 am

wack wack wrote:Call NCIS! Abby and McGee can repair and recover data from anything.

#8:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19160_8- ... ology.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:37 am

lukpac wrote:
wack wack wrote:Call NCIS! Abby and McGee can repair and recover data from anything.

#8:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19160_8- ... ology.html

What?!? IT'S NOT REAL?!?!?!??!?

Now we're screwed.

(Have to admit, I've never seen the 3- or 4- hands on the keyboard. I'll have to watch for that during today's or Sunday's ALL DAY NCIS MARATHON! on the USA Network.)
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 am

wack wack wrote:Is it still petty partisanship to wonder why lots of Republicans aren't in jail yet?

I'm sure the investigation into this minor technical error will begin just as soon as the deep social and political implications of Manskigate have been fully plumbed.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm

In defiance of the federal court order to preserve computer records:
New federal court filings allege that legislative aides appear to have deleted "hundreds of thousands" of files at "suspicious times" from state computers used by Republicans in redistricting.

The plaintiffs in a case that challenged the redistricting law are asking the Legislature or attorneys representing the state to start paying for the forensic investigation. They say the probe has racked up nearly $100,000 in costs so far, fueled largely by the complexity of restoring deleted files.

The filings are part of a post-trial investigation ordered by the three-judge federal panel that heard the redistricting case.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:11 pm

I guess Michael Best & Friedrich are above the law. Time for the citizens of this state to mete out our own brand of justice?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:44 am

Or else it's time for Michael Best & Friedrich to buy all staff AR-15s and keep them in the office in case agents come for more computers.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government