MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Brett Hulsey in the news again

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Brett Hulsey in the news again

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Know who else was "bizarre?" Abe Lincoln.

Ya, but did he ever push a kid off of an inner tube. I didn't think so.

I bet he might have if inner tubes existed back then.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swimmingupstream » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:37 am

Madison progressives are like junior high school cheerleaders. At some point they decided that Brett was not one of the "cool kids" and they have convinced the whole school to turn on him.
swimmingupstream
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 am

swimmingupstream wrote:Madison progressives are like junior high school cheerleaders. At some point they decided that Brett was not one of the "cool kids" and they have convinced the whole school to turn on him.

Really? Brett's behavior had nothing to do with it? Nice analogy, or it would be if it made any sense.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:55 am

gargantua wrote:
swimmingupstream wrote:Madison progressives are like junior high school cheerleaders. At some point they decided that Brett was not one of the "cool kids" and they have convinced the whole school to turn on him.

Really? Brett's behavior had nothing to do with it? Nice analogy, or it would be if it made any sense.

Yeah, pretty weak analogy. I don't mind a politician being a little different, but theorizing that both Soglin and Walker are out to get him (to say nothing of pulling a box cutter on an employee and whatever the F happened out on the lake) is too nuts. Dude's decision-making process is perhaps a bit questionable.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

There's a strategy among certain folks to aggressively define those with whom they disagree. "Liberals are like junior high cheerleaders..." fits into this.

Is that what people mean by projecting?

I think it's kind of insecure. There's always a fight of some sort and they feel the need to take a quick first shot. "Madison libs are angry because..." Etc., etc.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:25 pm

jjoyce wrote:There's a strategy among certain folks to aggressively define those with whom they disagree. "Liberals are like junior high cheerleaders..." fits into this.

Yeah, and those folks include like, 95% of anyone who ever has seriously wanted to hold elected office. There is no doubt the hive mind is turning on Hulsey but he's been pulling some weird shit for a while now and he's losing cred everywhere. Politics IS kind of High School Clique time on every level and an inability to navigate that all is a pretty big liability (hell, it's a liability in life).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Well, which is it "hive mind" or "School Clique"? Have you tried "nattering nabobs" lately? I think the originator is dead, you know.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Detritus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:42 pm

other i wrote:Well, which is it "hive mind" or "School Clique"? Have you tried "nattering nabobs" lately? I think the originator is dead, you know.

Both of them are dead--William Safire wrote the line for Spiro Agnew, as I remember.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:32 pm

What I don't understand is why some of you vote for this turkey. Afterall did you not read the news about Brett and his distortion of, or the outright trashing of the truth when it came to the "endorsements" he received from the likes of Tammy Baldwin, Mark Pocan, Spencer Black, and Fred Risser.

For example there was an article in the Istmus titled: Spencer Black rescinds endorsement of Hulsey written by Jack Craver in 2010 http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=31084
that said in part: “”Says Rep. Black, "The quote attributed to me in that mailing is not my quote. In fact, when Brett Hulsey asked if he could attribute that quote to me (one that I had never written or said) I made it clear he could not, since it is not my words."
In an email in which Mayor Dave Cieslewicz was cc'd, Spencer wrote, "Remember that breakfast that Mayor Dave and I had with you to tell you that you had a problem with trustworthiness. This is an example why. I never said the statement was fine. I said just the opposite. You can't use a statement that I didn't write. I don't let people put words in my mouth."”

There are many other articles just like that one pointing to Hulseys apparent lack of truthfulness or trustworthiness.

Did some of you vote for him because he parroted the green, progressive philosophy? Sad that people still fall for someone who talks the talk but who hasn't got the personal character to walk the walk.

The real question should be: Will liberal/progressives in his district find someone else to run against Brett or will they stick with their guy?

I would say find someone who can tell the truth.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby SlayerDave » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

That's what I wonder about as well. Someone made the comparison (I can't tell how tongue in cheek it was) to Abraham Lincoln. I mean, Lincoln was indispensable, surely people don't feel the same about Hulsey?

There are loads and loads of folks in Hulsey's district that probably share his political beliefs while leaving the kookiness at the door. He's not some irreplaceable resource.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Donald » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

I voted for Hulsey. I was fully aware of his faults. I think he's got some problems that he needs to deal with. At this point he has probably permanently damaged his effectiveness, but he's still a solid vote. If there was someone with his knowledge of and positions on environmental and other issues without his baggage, I'd vote for him or her. Hey, that's me!!!
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government