MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, July 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

More school board skirmishes

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

More school board skirmishes

Postby AgathaChristie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

I was just reading this. It seems that the popular Madison schools blog http://www.schoolinformationsystem.org owner Jim Zellmer ran a piece noting candidate TJ Mertz appeared on WIBA. Mertz allegedly made some comments about host Derrell Connor being just like Rush Limbaugh. The only problem, from what I can surmise, is that Mertz never called WIBA. Incredulously, a caller named TJ called and praised Connor and likened him to Limbaugh in a positve manner. Zellmer, a long time blogger/business owner/MMSD critic in the Madison area, didn't actually listen to the on air piece linked to his website very carefully. Even Connor, who spent some time on the air chastising Mertz as a progressive white liberal, never acknowledged this guy on the phone as TJ Mertz- only as TJ. Someone corrected Zellmer and he removed his slam of Mertz, but failed to note that the inaccuracy was of his (Zellmer's) own doing. Couple that with Marc Eisen's recent hit piece in Isthmus about MMSD being in disarray and calling Mertz "a stalwart progressive like Manski" and we can see a pattern to smear Mertz. The left has a way of eating it's own. Eisen, of course, was a long-time editor of Isthmus AND also a contributor at Zellmer's website over the years. Talk about a mess! Now that Vicki McKenna is urging her listeners to vote Manski in lieu of Mertz , I'm beginning to think they might all be working for Blaska. Scary stuff indeed!
AgathaChristie

Re: More school board skirmishes

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Trying to figure out if this is a practical joke or not. Are you suggesting the MMSD is NOT in disarray?

I think the OP here is parroting the increasingly dismissed group of locals who attempt to make every single issue a "which side are you on?" situation. Not interested in solving problems, they're much more interested in painting those who don't tow the traditional party line as "working for Blaska."

Half of Madison's black kids don't graduate from high school, agathachristie. Those who are rightfully critical of the school district for that deplorable record are not "the others."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AgathaChristie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 pm

I'm suggesting that the guy who runs the schoolinfosystem website was trying to smear Mertz but got caught. Ancillary to that, I don't think the MMSD is in disarray. Sure there are issues, but disarray entails much more. And Marc Eisen isn't any better than anyone else in this fight. He insinuates Mertz is just another Manski, and that's crap. So I see the website guy and Eisen conspiring to make hay. Blaska, well...we know he'll say or do anything to get a rise from the libs in Madison.
AgathaChristie

Postby DConnor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:01 pm

I had no idea that Zellmer had done that until TJ Mertz filled me in. Mertz has never called into the show. Plus, I have met and spoken with Mertz in the past, so I knew that wasn't him that called into the show. As for the other TJ comparing me to Limbaugh; I'm not sure if I consider that a compliment or not. Would I like to have 20+ million listeners? Sure, who wouldn't? But I don't think that we have too much in common.

As for Mertz: I have never criticized him for being a white liberal progressive. Nothing wrong with that. What I have criticized him for is spending too much time blogging about folks who don't exactly fit your worldview on education, and not enough time talking to and trying to work with those same people on how we address the issues that currently exist in the MMSD. Also, the fact that he currently doesn't have a whole lot of credibility in the very communities that he's going to be serving (black and brown). That's a problem.

Derrell
DConnor

Postby minicat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Is Blaska hiring?
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby other i » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:56 pm

Eisen's a leftist now? This is actually getting kind of funny.
other i
Forum Addict

Return to Local Politics & Government