MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby wack wack » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:22 am

Mad Howler wrote:BTW- MKE is a much easier approach than CHI from MAD town, and no tollways! For some reason Chicago freaks me out, Milwaukee on the hand has not. I recognize this as a problem and therefore I am working on it.

For many, this may be exactly the appeal of Milwaukee: it's easier to handle than Chicago. For all the comparisons made in this thread (I made some myself), let's be real: Milwaukee is a large mid-American city while Chicago is a world class mega-city. Everything about Chicago is bigger, faster, on a completely different scale from Milwaukee. They feel completely different, at least to me; I've never felt overwhelmed in Milwaukee, while it's hard to not feel overwhelmed in Chicago, even with a fair amount of experience there.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:45 pm

We go to Milwaukee fairly often for fun, either day trips or weekends. Sometimes we'll splurge on Hotel Metro, but we usually stay at the Plaza. Great location, quirky studio-apartment rooms, cozy vibe, and a killer breakfast at the Café.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:00 pm

wack wack wrote:Everything about Chicago is bigger, faster, on a completely different scale from Milwaukee.

Except the traffic.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Xiao Mao » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

YES. I love The Plaza. I stay there when I visit Milwaukee. Love the breakfast; they have recently re-done the menu and the food options are even better than before. Riverwest has tons to offer (The Uptowner, Linneman's, Bremen Cafe)... Lakefront does a good brewery tour... I lived there for 12 years and was a Riverwester.

Brady Street has the Nomad, the Up and Under, Glorioso's (the most amazing Italian grocery)...

South side has Mercado el Rey and Jalisco's (the good Jalisco's--the one on North Ave. has less authentic Mexican and it's more expensive). Also, Leon's frozen custard!

Turner Hall is a great music venue, the Milwaukee Art Museum is gorgeous, the Black Holocaust Museum is definitely worth a visit...

I would have worn that train out, too, snoqueen. For sure. :)

And, if I want to go to Chicago, I drive to Milwaukee and take the Hiawatha line into the city. I can hop over to the El or the bus. It's more fun and less stressful than driving in Chicago, for sure. I love the Shedd aquarium (Blue Line, I think...) and Shiroi Hana sushi bar, and Chinatown (Red Line). :)
Xiao Mao

Postby SidSeven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 am

Mad Howler wrote:I have noted a narrative inserted enough times, already, regarding Milwaukee being overlooked somehow by "Madison culture" that I need to ask why? I have lived over half of my life in Dane county but was born elsewhere in Wisconsin, that said I have always enjoyed and thought Milwaukee to be real Wisconsin. So what's the core of the beef? It it that we have missed out on some "top secret America" projects that have benefited, for instance, Baltimore and other areas?

I don't get it. Can someone please help?

If the 2 cities were connected by train, I'd go to Milwaukee more than once in 30 years.
SidSeven

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government