MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby mifflander » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:09 pm

wack wack wrote:
mifflander wrote:From my experience, it's not Milwaukee that's looking down it's nose.


Right, because the hateful rants about "damn Madison liberals" never come from people in Milwaukee.


Replace the word "liberals" with "snobs" and I might agree with you.

I don't think Milwaukee hates Madison anymore than the rest of the state does.
mifflander
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby wack wack » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm

mifflander wrote:I don't think Milwaukee hates Madison anymore than the rest of the state does.


I'll give you that: envy is a bitch.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:29 pm

rabble wrote:There was a tv article a while ago...


Did you say "tv article"?

The Madison-Milwaukee divide: Can the cities finally work together for shared prosperity? (Isthmus, 12/6/12)
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 12168
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2001 4:48 pm
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby rabble » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm

I beg your pardon. Selective Senility.

I distinctly remember watching somebody talk about those corridors on TV somewhere but yeah all the details I remember are from that article.

So how come you didn't twist the knife a bit by throwing out the quotes I munged up? Gettin soft or just lazy?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6314
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Stella_Guru » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm

mifflander wrote:Went to the World of Wheels at the State Fair grounds a few weeks ago. Saw the Bucks play the Heat back in Dec. Went to a few Brewers games and saw Cracker at the State Fair last summer. Entertainment-wise, Milwaukee offers way more than Madison.

I especially enjoy the fall salmon run in the Milwaukee River. Kletzsch Park dam is a particularly good spot to fish, altho not technically Milwaukee. The Menomonee River around Miller Park is also an interesting spot for salmon, kind of surrealistic and apocalyptic with Miller Park in the background, casting around discarded appliances, tires, and floating mattresses. A stout pole and a #8 clouser minnow is the ticket here for those delicious salmon. Hey, they tell you it will kill you but they dont say when.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby rrnate » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:24 pm

My main band is in Milwaukee so I'm there A LOT and it's good. I don't think I've ever really heard anyone from Milwaukee Proper disparage Madison - where you hear that is from all of the dozen+ stupid suburbs that surround it. (Madison has better outlying communities FOR SURE.) That being said, I've heard a lot of Madison people talk shit about Milwaukee, and hate to say it, but it does pretty much come from not being familiar with the city.

MKE definitely has more of a big city thing going on than Madison and has actually grown a lot in terms of culture, infrastructure, etc. in the last five years or so.

You always hear Madison compared to Austin or Minneapolis, but it's actually more like Lansing or something - a mid-sized city (just a really big one). Milwaukee is much more of a legit big city. However, our breweries win HANDS DOWN. Lakefront ain't bad, but it ain't amazing either.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3661
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2002 6:33 pm
Location: Madison's Corporate Underbelly

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Madcity Expat » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

I live in a near Milwaukee suburb (in Milw Cty) and commute to Madison for work three times a week. I am very fond of both cities. Honestly I have never noticed any Madison/Milwaukee rivalry. I suspect its largely an imaginary rivalry.

The cities are, of course, quite different. Milwaukee has always struck me as a small-big city - meaning it is a closer, more diminutive relative of Chicago than a decidedly medium sized city like Madison.

I guess I'm echoing rrnate here, but that's my take too. And, having also lived in Michigan, I think rrnate's right on comparing Madison to Lansing (Ann Arbor is a pretty close comparison too).

And of course there's Madison being a university/capital town - Milwaukee owning more to its industrial heritage. But they share a lot in natural beauty - both having a defining association to water.
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: mill-e-wah-que..."the good land"

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby kurt_w » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:50 pm

Stebben84 wrote:How many of you Madison folks visit MKE?

On my last trip to Wisconsin I flew into MKE and spent a few days there on business, then went to Madison for a few days of nostalgia. Had a great time in both cities.
kurt_w
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 5245
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby john_titor » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Stebben84 wrote: but then she goes on to say that she never comes to Madison.


I did some work for a company headquartered in MKE. The only reason they came to Madison was for some sports related event, either the University, their kid's, or their own or for the once every five years trip to the farmers' market.

I only hear of people around here going to MKE for Summerfest or for Brewers' games.

I don't think it is political or anything else. People like what they like.

wack wack wrote:If I want a general big city experience, I'll go to Chicago.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:17 pm

We were perplexed by the Isthmus article, because we read it at home simultaneously, and neither of us could really figure, at first, whether the article was meant to be a kind of prank.

Though the author explicitly mentions that the two cities are a full hour-and-a-half apart, by the most optimal form of travel (sadly), he seems to miss that this fatally undermines his entire argument.

Except for special circumstances, that's just too damn far to travel. And if one is inclined toward such an excursion, the extra time to get to Chicago won't seem that significant. If you're going to rent a car, for example, it's somehow a little easier to justify if you're heading to Chicago.

I think Milwaukee is and should be a destination for anyone living in Madison, but there's some practical connection that's missing.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3197
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby wack wack » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:48 am

rrnate wrote:You always hear Madison compared to Austin or Minneapolis, but it's actually more like Lansing or something - a mid-sized city (just a really big one). Milwaukee is much more of a legit big city. However, our breweries win HANDS DOWN. Lakefront ain't bad, but it ain't amazing either.


Madison is nothing like Lansing. Ann Arbor, maybe. Not Lansing.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3157
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Madcity Expat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:50 pm

fennel wrote:Though the author explicitly mentions that the two cities are a full hour-and-a-half apart, by the most optimal form of travel (sadly), he seems to miss that this fatally undermines his entire argument.

Not only that, but this is inaccurate. I commute from Wauwatosa to a location in the middle of Madison 3x/week. In ordinary conditions it takes me 1hr 15min from driveway to parking lot - about 55min if that is highway time. And I don't drive all that fast, 68-70 or so...

I suppose if your driving from Verona to Shorewood, then, yea, 90 min plus a bit... Or maybe if you hit some rush hour traffic (not all that bad in either city, but there are moments)...

...pickin' nits...just sayin'...
Madcity Expat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:02 pm
Location: mill-e-wah-que..."the good land"

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm

fennel wrote:Though the author explicitly mentions that the two cities are a full hour-and-a-half apart, by the most optimal form of travel (sadly), he seems to miss that this fatally undermines his entire argument.


As Expat points out, 90 minutes is definitely on the high side. And the only way this undermines his argument is if you think a 90(or better yet 70) minute drive is too far. Apparently you do, but many others, including myself, don't think it's bad. I wouldn't do it every day, but on occasion it makes it a pretty damn easy ride.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4977
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:59 pm

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby gargantua » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:16 pm

90 minutes for me is pretty close to normal from my near-west-side location to downtown MKE. I've gone for Summerfest, and the occasional Brewer game. Years ago we used to head down to check out the craft beer scene once a year, but it's strangely dead there. Especially for a city of that size. Madison's is better, and the Chicago area is incredible. I visit Chicago more often primarily for that reason.

I don't have a problem with Milwaukee at all. As a state, we need Milwaukee to do well.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 4202
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Is there a problem between Milwaukee and Madison?

Postby Mad Howler » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:10 am

Well, looking back (sorry) I had a hard time absorbing this:
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=38465

Really, this first put the "problem" in my head:
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=38878

Then this secured the thought:
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 963f4.html

The latter two of the above contain notions that I still do not get.

BTW- MKE is a much easier approach than CHI from MAD town, and no tollways! For some reason Chicago freaks me out, Milwaukee on the hand has not. I recognize this as a problem and therefore I am working on it.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1394
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:36 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar