MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bob Syring for Clerk of Courts

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

County Clerk of Courts?

Bob Syring
93%
Judy Coleman
7%

Total votes : 15

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:21 am

statz wrote:Not trying to be an asshole but I think that is an honest observation.

Kinda... but it actually has a lot more to do with the fact that Stu is a friend of Isthmus who has contributed to the paper often in its 29 year history. I also know that he means well and is honestly trying to get the word out on a show that he thinks the Forons will find interesting.

That said, once you start inserting your station's tagline into the posts, you're flirting with a line. Clear Channel has historically been less-than-interested in advertising in Isthmus because of the critical pieces we've run, so I'd hate to think that this is a strategic "guerilla" marketing effort on their part.

To me, posting all that extra junk about the station here is akin to me calling during a show and saying, "I just read about this very issue in Isthmus, Madison's weekly newspaper with new editions available each Thursday at dozens of locations in the greater Madison area. Isthmus: The Shortest Distance Between Two Points of View."

PS: I'd love it if Sly would post here. He obviously reads Forum, why not participate?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Cupcake » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:08 am

Why not do a political hype exchange for radio shows, rallies, town meetings, etc.?
Cupcake
Forum Addict

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:19 pm

Sorry, I thought people who were posting on a thread about the Clerk of Courts race would be interested in knowing they could listen to the candidate's live. No, this isn't a guerilla or stealth campaign by CC -- just me. But tell me, Jason, when I get confirmation at 2 pm from Molly Ivins that she'll be on that afternoon at 5, how are we supposed to buy advertising for that? I would think that forons would want to know they could hear Molly and Utah Phillips live on their radios; sorry if I took inappropriate steps to get the word out. But I've been asking for a long time for a radio board, to no avail. Hell, your paper even stopped the tiny radio listings you used to run. You got to admit, given some of what's gone down on this board, to be threatened with banishment for something as up-front (and not anonymous) as this really is funny. And it's sort of unfair to put me on the receiving end of personal and professional criticism without giving me the chance to note the programmatic element of the show.

So what's the word? Can I use the forum to tell people about upcoming shows or not?
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:55 pm

Now wait just a minute before we all go flying off the handle...

Stu, I pretty clearly stuck up for you in my post above, so back off with the banishment talk. I didn't use the word ban. And I also think it's completely fair to participate in a discussion about your station (as much as I participate in discussions about my employer), but as I wrote above, once you start dropping tag lines in, you're promoting, not participating in a discussion. And I don't need to tell you that my company has bills to pay, making it decidedly uninterested in providing free advertising to mega conglomerates.

I appreciate a couple things about this here Internet board. First, people may be interested in learning that Molly Ivins will be on a local radio show.

But put this in the context of the bands on this board. They can use Hype Exchange as often as they'd like to tell us where they'll be playing, but clubs have to pay to do the same thing. Looking at it that way, I'd very much welcome Utah Phillips posting about appearing on your show, but you're basically the club. Not only that, but you're the club with more money than any of the other clubs, looking to buy them all out and turn them into Burger Kings, but that's another matter.

At the end of the day, however, I most appreciate the audience here who has been very clear about keeping the threads clear of blatant advertising, and I agree with them. When a company like Clear Channel has the (considerable) means to get its message out, then it's kind of rude to be cluttering up a grassroots medium to do so.

Take a look at your other employer: The City of Madison. Channel 12 runs a tile on these pages hyping your show and encouraging users to click and see who's going to be on next week. I would enthusiastically argue that if City Cable 12 can pony up for a tile, certainly Clear Channel can. I encourage you to talk to station management and get them to do so. Call our advertising department and I'm sure they'd love to give you a rate.

Ultimately, I'm going to do what I think is right for the majority of users on this board and I haven't figured that out yet. Honestly, the idea of a radio board doesn't really get around the advertising issue and neither does the political hype exchange idea.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:22 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to overreact. Yes, I recognize you were being supportive in your earlier post (as you have generally been of my various efforts). But you did use the word "banish" in your note, which I thought that was pretty close to "banishment." Sorry if I misunderstood.

I also think there's a difference beween what I'm trying to do on my show and what they do on TDY. The relatively few people who listen to that station tell me it's mainly hosts and callers ranting and rambling; my show is primarily guest-driven interviews. Which is why I think listing the line-up is more justified -- so forons will know they have the chance to hear (and talk to) folks like Molly, Utah, Tammy, etc.

It's funny you mentioned the Access:City Hall link -- I was noticing that myself as I was writing my post, thinking how nice it would be if CC could do something like that as well. (BTW - kudos to forons for showing the restraint to avoid an A:CH thread). I'll talk to management, see what I can do.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Paco » Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:53 pm

let him post. there's too much crap going on in peoples lives to know everything. If Vicki McKenna had told us she was gone for a week I would have tuned in sooner today! :lol:
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:I'd love it if Sly would post here. He obviously reads Forum, why not participate?

You mean MadMind is not Sly's doppelganger?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

re: chimes

Postby gozer » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:38 am

jjoyce wrote:Stu, you ought to encourage your employers to actually buy some advertising on these pages, otherwise we'll have to banish your posts to Hype Exchange.

As much as I like the show and wish to support what you're doing, the fact of the matter is that these posts are advertising, which has traditionally been frowned on here in Forum land.

Anyone else care to chime in on this?

i agree. i don't see this as a free-speech versus perpetually offended whiner, c.a.u.c.e./"spam" vigilante issue where we should endure some annoyance because the alternative is so much worse -- buy the freakin' ad space for crying out loud!

when and if i myself and/or various others had a new and/or improved book/computer software item/audio c.d. to hawk or a major public meeting to advertise, i would be inclined to look into one of those ads on the side here such as those advertising the monkey bar gymnasium, scott's pastry shoppe, m.s.o. &c. i don't even use the sig line here to advertise the political party in which i am a member anymore coz i figure it's the same thing.

it also would have dawned on me (before reading this thread too) to use "hype exchange" for any upcoming t.v. or radio appearance.

i would think a radio programme would be the optimal thing to advertise with a small blurb in the isthmus...whether using the classifieds to sell or buy things or buying display ads for one candidate, organisation or another, i think the isthmus is probably a much better value than the daily papers and it works too.

not that it would help franken or this guy in the end -- even if they are more right than wrong on issues, listeners won't stand for the signal-to-noise ratio, the local axe-grinder and the unfunny "comedian" franken for long when they can wait 30 minutes or change the channel; the arbitron and birch radio ratings do mean something after all.

and to make a point i have made here before, i am sure stupe will be calling for my banishment for chiming in. our political sea urchin, our local le pen impersonator, sure is a censorious one for an alleged journalist.

people get miffed about it, it's their right to chime in.
gozer
Forum God/Goddess

VOTE TODAY!

Postby mole » Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:52 am

To all Dane County Residents:
Just a reminder to get out and vote today. In the Dane County Clerk of Court race, Bob Syring is still the most honest choice for the people, and he needs your vote in order to win. For further information check his web site at: www.bobsyring.com Bob is an individual who cares for the county.
mole
mole

Postby Paco » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:53 am

why not combine tv with radio, make it TV/Radio heading. Even with Blunt making most of the posts there, it's still not that heavily travelled. He could put them there. I'm betting most people searching thru 'hype exchange' are solely musician types.
Paco
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dulouz » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:44 am

jjoyce wrote:
But put this in the context of the bands on this board. They can use Hype Exchange as often as they'd like to tell us where they'll be playing, but clubs have to pay to do the same thing. Looking at it that way, I'd very much welcome Utah Phillips posting about appearing on your show, but you're basically the club. Not only that, but you're the club with more money than any of the other clubs, looking to buy them all out and turn them into Burger Kings, but that's another matter.

Actually I think that the analogy is more like Stu is Paul Black and his guests are the Flip Kings. The Club is CC, but Stu could do his show on other stations. I'm sure that you realize that advertising and editorial decisions are really seperate (even at CC). That said, I would also think that the forum would be a perfect spot to build 92.1's listenership and am surprised that they haven't already bought space here. Maybe one of your ad reps should pay a visit?
Dulouz
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:58 pm

Stu could have his own web page where he posts an up to the minute schedule for his show. He could put a link to that page in his Forum sig line. Regular listeners and the curious could check the web schedule an hour or two before the show to see who's on.

New listeners should be courted the same way other radio shows court theirs. I think the way it is now, he's cutting too close to the edge of free advertising. I agree that if he were doing a right-wing show he'd have been told months ago to quit advertising here.

I understand about sharing last minute schedule changes -- this is a judgment call.

Just my two little cents worth.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:14 am

[quote="snoqueen"]Stu could have his own web page where he posts an up to the minute schedule for his show. He could put a link to that page in his Forum sig line. Regular listeners and the curious could check the web schedule an hour or two before the show to see who's on. (end quote)

-That's a good idea. I'll try to make a good website happen.

But it's more than "oh, Stu's guest today might be somebody I want to listen to." Because sometimes -- as in this very thread -- the guest is somebody the board is already talking about. If there's a thread about Bob Syring's campaign, seems to me the people posting and reading would want to know they could hear from the candidates directly, especially since they could also ask questions. If I've got guests involved in an ongoing discussion or controversy, wouldn't it be good for me to post a notice so people will know? If you were reading what other people had to say about the campaign, wouldn't you want to hear from the candidates for yourself? Hey, if we're having a discussion on Dylan and someone who reads this board is doing a Dylan special on WORT, I sure would want them to post a notice about the show so I could listen.

(resume snoqueen quote) New listeners should be courted the same way other radio shows court theirs. I think the way it is now, he's cutting too close to the edge of free advertising. I agree that if he were doing a right-wing show he'd have been told months ago to quit advertising here. (end quote)

--Here's why I think posting these guestlist is different from advertising a gig, but is more like the columns of TV and radio talk show guests that the newspapers publish without charge.
With a guest list like that in the first week -- Tammy Baldwin, the 6 federal GOP candidates, Molly Ivins, Utah Phillips, John Nichols, Ed Garvey, Joel Rogers, Roberta Gassman, Jon Erpenbach, Marsha Rummel, Donna & Danielle -- I think my show is just as much a public affairs broadcast as Russert or Matthews,with the added value of giving listeners the chance to call and talk to the guests on the air. As the daily and Sunday papers publish many column inches daily and Sunday listing who's on with George and Deborah and the Capitol Gang, why shouldn't the cyberpaper do likewise?

I am of course hopeful the show will advertise on the forum and in the paper. But I also hope people can consider the listings as public affairs rather than personal promotion.

(more snoqueen) I understand about sharing last minute schedule changes -- this is a judgment call. Just my two little cents worth.[quote}

- Would that we were only talking about last-minute changes. The sad fact is that airing two hours of live conversation (3 to 5 guests) each day takes a lot of scheduling work, which usually isn't completed until day or show (or 1 day before). Maybe some national figures and authors will be scheduled a couple of days earlier, but for the most part the show will focus on current local and state issues -- in the news that day, on the air that night. This doesn't allow for much long-range planning. Some planning, yes, but for the most part, not so much.

Maybe I could start a sign-up list for people who want to be e-notified of upcoming shows, the way WPR has its Ideas Network program emails. I should talk to the station webmaster about that.

One final listing -- we'll be broadcasting and streaming Sen. Kerry's address live Wednesday noon.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

[url]http://www.bobsyring.com"[/url]

Postby bta » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:53 pm

bta

Postby bta » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:04 pm

SYRING Endorsements - 2006

THE STAR: Sun Prairie's Hometown Newspaper

Clerk of Courts Staff, Local 720 Joint Council of Unions, following candidate forum on July 25, 2006.

AFSCME PEOPLE - AFL-CIO
South Central Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO

Representative Sondy Pope-Roberts, 79th Assembly District
Representative Mark Pocan, 78th Assembly District
Representative Terese Berceau, 76th Assembly District

Scott McDonell, Dist. 1 Supervisor Dane Co. Board, Co. Board Chair
Rich Pertzborn, Dist. 36 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Carousel Andrea Bayrd, Dist. 8 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Patrick Miles, Dist. 34 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Al Matano, Dist. 11 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Mark Opitz, Dist. 26 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Shelia Stubbs, Dist. 23 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Brett Hulsey, Dist. 4 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Elaine DeSmidt, Dist. 3 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Jeff Kostelic, Dist. 19 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Tom Stoebig, Dist. 17 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Bob Salov, Dist. 37 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Matt Veldran, Dist. 7 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Barbara Vedder, Dist. 2 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Dave de Felice, Dist. 16 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Chuck Erickson, Dist. 13 Supervisor Dane Co. Board
Richard Brown, Dist. 15 Supervisor Dane Co. Board (dual endosement)

Austin King, 8th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council, President
Brian Benford, 12th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Brenda Konkel, 2nd Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Michael Verveer, 4th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Larry Palm, 15th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Lauren Cnare, 3rd Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Zack Brandon, 7th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council
Noel Radomski, 19th Dist. Alderperson Madison Common Council

Johnny Winston Jr., President Madison Board of Education
Robert Ohlsen, Dane County Clerk
Shwaw Vang, Madison Board of Education
Douglas Zwank, Mayor of Middleton