MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Handgun Stop a Woman From Being Beaten

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Handgun Stop a Woman From Being Beaten

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:criminalizes many sorts of harmless behaviors like loaning a gun to a friend

Ok, I'm not going to turn this into the gun thread so I won't debate your other posts(which are debatable, but go no where) This one, although, has me perplexed. When the hell do you ever need to loan a gun to a friend? You loan a car when they need to pick up something, but do you loan a gun when they need to shoot something? What scenario would lead you to "loan a gun?"

And don't say it doesn't matter because you probably wouldn't be saying the same thing about a bazooka, or would you? Should we be able to own those?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Stebben84 wrote: When the hell do you ever need to loan a gun to a friend? You loan a car when they need to pick up something, but do you loan a gun when they need to shoot something? What scenario would lead you to "loan a gun?"

I don't this qualifies as agreeing with Artie but I've gone deer hunting with a borrowed gun a couple times, and a neighbor borrowed my 12 gauge for a while when he had a raccoon problem. But we lived out in the Tomah/Warrens boondocks on the gravel roads at the time.

If'n I had a handgun, I would look askance at any friend who asked to borrow it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 pm

rabble wrote:I don't this qualifies as agreeing with Artie but I've gone deer hunting with a borrowed gun a couple times, and a neighbor borrowed my 12 gauge for a while when he had a raccoon problem. But we lived out in the Tomah/Warrens boondocks on the gravel roads at the time.

If'n I had a handgun, I would look askance at any friend who asked to borrow it.

Someone may have been drinking when they posted this. I dunno. Anyhow, why would you need to borrow a gun to deer hunt? If you hunt, don't you have your own? Also, if they had a raccoon problem, did they have gun license? If not then they shouldn't be using your gun. If they did, wouldn't they have gun? I realize it's a bunch of questions from a non-hunter/gun owner, but I don't get it. Is it common among gun owners to loan out there guns?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Someone may have been drinking when they posted this. I dunno. Anyhow, why would you need to borrow a gun to deer hunt? If you hunt, don't you have your own? Also, if they had a raccoon problem, did they have gun license? If not then they shouldn't be using your gun. If they did, wouldn't they have gun? I realize it's a bunch of questions from a non-hunter/gun owner, but I don't get it. Is it common among gun owners to loan out there guns?

Have things changed that much in twenty years? When I lived in the Tomah boondocks, a landowner could hunt most game on his land any time he wanted except the day before deer season. My neighbor didn't have a decent shotgun and needed one, so I loaned him mine. The guy came out the summer before and stayed up with me for most of a night saving a colicky steer. I helped do his farm chores when he broke an ankle.

I hadn't gone hunting for several years and didn't own a gun those two years I was invited to a group hunt with some folks I hadn't visited with for a while. It is not common to loan your gun to someone you don't know, but people who have known each other for years kinda trust each other.

I don't understand your confusion. Is it your belief that once a person has owned a gun, he always has several handy?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:33 am

ArturoBandini wrote:[*]infringes on rights explicitly granted by the Second Amendment

The Second Amendment is not nearly as explicit as you like to pretend; in fact, it's archaic nature is a hindrance to the clarity of its "explicitness."

Furthermore, when your "right" regularly leads to others being denied their rights, infringing on your right to firearms should hardly be called "harmful."

Finally, this idea that the Second Amendment was the primary and most sacred right to our Founding Fathers is ridiculous: the purpose of the Second Amendment is to allow you to protect your other rights. It is not just Second, it is secondary.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government