MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Light Snow Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

kindergarten cop

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

kindergarten cop

Postby Huckleby » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:14 pm

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 963f4.html

A republican legislator offered a bill to fine teachers $200 if they fail to report a bullying incident to authorities.
Great idea?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: kindergarten cop

Postby other i » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

While they're at it, they should tack on "tooth decay." I think teachers should be held responsible if the children develop tooth decay. Also maybe, if they grow up to be bad people, we could track down all their teachers from forever and fine them. And maybe there should be something about if they torture animals or don't clean up their rooms. I want some accountability. We don't pay these people for nothing, you know.
other i
Forum Addict

Postby Donald » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Teachers in most states are mandatory reporters for child abuse. They are required to report even if the abuse is merely suspected. You can make a case that bullying is child abuse by peers or near peers.

The proposal doesn't seem too much different from what most school districts already do in policy. Many districts already have policies that require teachers and other staff to report or to intervene in some way to stop bullying on school property. Certainly if the bullying involves physical attack or threats of physical attack teachers and administrators not only have to report it, they have to stop it. Name-calling is also something districts usually have strict policies about. Clearly, teachers have to consider context, but you aren't going to find many teachers who are going to allow someone to be repeatedly called names.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am

I agree with other's sarcasm. I consider this law bullying of teachers, again blaming them for all of society's ills.

The law is largely symbolic, but it is stupid and unfair symbolism, implying that uncaring teachers are such an important component of the problem that the criminal justice system must make an intervention.

A teacher who would ignore bullying is obviously incompetent. Is a new regulation needed to highlight this? When a kid reports an incident to a parent, it's not necessarily what the teacher saw or perceived. And we all know how calm & rational parents are when it comes to their kids.

Not all problems are best solved by passing punitive laws.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:06 pm

Huckleby wrote:I consider this law bullying of teachers, again blaming them for all of society's ills.

The law is largely symbolic, but it is stupid and unfair symbolism, implying that uncaring teachers are such an important component of the problem that the criminal justice system must make an intervention.

When I saw the headline the other day my first thought was, "Oh no, not more of this!" Especially because it seems mainly to be about finding someone to blame (a teacher! of course!) after the fact.

Then I got to thinking: why not try the carrot instead of the stick for a change? Pay teachers $200 for every documented and verified case of bullying they report. Heck, pass the cost of the program on to the bully's parents -- they should be happy that someone's finally telling them the truth about their little sociopath. It would be doing everyone a favor, as well as help to fill in the hole that Scott Walker's "tools" carved in many teachers' pockets. Motivation would be high; participation would be over 90%. Free marketeers should instinctively understand the power of incentives to change behavior and get a job done. And the beauty is that there is no end of children who haven't yet learned to hide their crueler impulses -- always a new batch of anti-bully bonuses coming along!

Of course if schools succeed in quashing bullying because of teachers the bullies in state politics would need to find a new scapegoat to blame for the way it's not working in Wisconsin. Perhaps a mirror would come in handy?
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Huckleby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Zoti Bemba wrote: Pay teachers $200 for every documented and verified case of bullying they report.

If I were a teacher, I'd pay kids $50 to go bully somebody.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zoti Bemba » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Zoti Bemba wrote: Pay teachers $200 for every documented and verified case of bullying they report.

If I were a teacher, I'd pay kids $50 to go bully somebody.

Well, yes, there is that. Another lesson in real world economics for the tykes, though if their parents are the ones ultimately paying the $200 it might be one they wouldn't be inclined to repeat.
Zoti Bemba
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government