MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Fallone v. Roggensack

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Fallone v. Roggensack

Postby Shorty » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:21 pm

Raggy has pent twice as much on her campaign as Fallone. Looks like the Republicans will buy another Judge. We need campaign finance reform and spending limits.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fallone v. Roggensack

Postby Igor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Roggensack has three advantages:

- Name recognition because of incumbency.

- Republican straight ticket voters show up more reliably than Democratic ones.

- Sheriff is probably the office that draws the largest percentage of independent voters to the right. Judge is probably second.

I think those all matter more than money. If the candidate with the most advertising has an advantage, I predict a victory by Pam Tauscher.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SidSeven » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 am

I'm hoping enough people are so disgusted by Roggensack to finally vote her out. But I'm not holding my breath.
SidSeven

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:19 am

I been seeing Roggensack-is-tough-on-crime ads on TV recently. They are paid for by WMC. Does anyone really believe the Wisconsin Manufacturers and Commerce lobbying group's big issue is crime?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:27 am

Of course not. Their big issue is free speech.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 am

Meade wrote:free speech.

That can be dangerous coming out of the wrong mouth.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 am

Here is a head scratcher:
One aspect of the Chamber's (the Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce) involvement that might have Madison insiders scratching their heads is the $2,000 the group directed to conservative Supreme Court Justice Pat Roggensack earlier this year. It seems counterintuitive that the Chamber, which in the past has made a point of distinguishing itself from right-leaning state and national business groups, would see helping Roggensack as a wise strategy.

"The individuals who contributed to Justice Roggensack through the conduit contacted us and directed their money to her," says Jo-ell Carlson, a chamber spokeswoman. "The Chamber has not solicited or endorsed in the Supreme Court race."

I assume the individuals who are channeling their donations through the Chamber are either trying to avoid campaign donation limits or don't want the Madison public to know they are financially supporting Roggensack.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Igor wrote:Roggensack has three advantages:

If she has those advantages why does she need twice as much money as Fallone? She should be able to win without out-spending him.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 pm

Shorty wrote:

If she has those advantages why does she need twice as much money as Fallone? She should be able to win without out-spending him.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't imagine that she can just spend the money on whiskey and loose living if she doesn't spend it on ads. Particularly when judges have terms of 10 years, it seems unlikely that a candidate would save money for next time.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:58 am

Shorty wrote:

Sure she should. But as we have learned to our sorrow, judicial elections are very important. So if I'm rich and I have the spare cash, I take no chances. I spend it. It's a great investment in maintaining my grip on all 3 branches of the government I profess to hate so much.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Igor wrote:Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't imagine that she can just spend the money on whiskey and loose living if she doesn't spend it on ads. Particularly when judges have terms of 10 years, it seems unlikely that a candidate would save money for next time.

I'm presuming she controls how much money she raises so could have tried to merely match Fallone if she was confident she would win based on the factors you cited. If she doesn't control the donations received, I think she could have returned the extra money to the donors or donated it. But as gargantua said she and her donors are probably trying to be as sure as they can about her winning by grossly outspending Fallone.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 am

The money is being spent by third parties. WMC has dumped a huge amount to buy TV ads for Roggensack. Patience doesn't control those expenditures (but sure does appreciate them).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government