MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

When distributing songbooks is outlawed...

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

When distributing songbooks is outlawed...

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Brandon Barwick, one of the Solidarity Sing Along singers, writeson Facebook that he has recently been cited for "conducting" the daily protest at the Capitol, in addition to many other citations he has received over the past several months.

I have read these complaints/reports of my latest four citations, and I kid you not, they say things like, "Barwick was seen handing a small stack of songbooks to another participant of the sing along before it began."

I'm really curious about the discussion that had to have taken place at the meeting(s) to come up with this strategy. I'm picturing the kind of board they set up in the squad room in any movie detailing the structure of a criminal organization.

"We'll call this guy 'The Conductor' or 'The Book Man.' He's the head of the operation, the mastermind. We take him out, the whole gang crumbles."
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: When distributing songbooks is outlawed...

Postby rrnate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 pm

Q: what is it the Solidarity Singers are trying to achieve?

This isn't a Meade-Question (you know, one you ask just to push your point of view on everyone), I legit don't know.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:07 pm

I think the initial goal was basic protest against Act 10. Once the crackdowns against demonstrations happened and escalated to the frequent citations, I think it morphed into making a point about First Amendment rights. So now it's as much about civil disobedience as collective bargaining.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 pm

Except I get the feeling from their point of view, it's not civil disobedience at all. Civil disobedience involves the breaking of laws on ethical grounds. The courts are throwing out Solidarity tickets on a regular basis, so the citations are not standing up to court scrutiny and Solidarity has reason to believe it's operating within the law.

I think by now they see their activities as a demonstration of their right to assemble and to exercise freedom of speech.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:49 pm

snoqueen wrote:Except I get the feeling from their point of view, it's not civil disobedience at all. Civil disobedience involves the breaking of laws on ethical grounds. The courts are throwing out Solidarity tickets on a regular basis, so the citations are not standing up to court scrutiny and Solidarity has reason to believe it's operating within the law.

I think by now they see their activities as a demonstration of their right to assemble and to exercise freedom of speech.

And rightly so. No need to get permission from your government to protest. I guess only outlaws will have songbooks!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:55 pm

I agree with Jjoyce. As I see it, they wanted to continue the protests started in Feb 2011 and hopefully help Recall Walker. Walker wasn't recalled but they still want to keep singing and protesting as long as he is in office. Also, they simply enjoy singing and playing folk music. Getting together to sing provides group comradery and therapy to help cope with the Republican attack on WI and the 99%.

Now with the Capitol police and DOA crackdown, the SSA is also about freedom of speech and constitutional rights. Here is what their facebook page says:

"The mission of Solidarity Sing Along is to create positive, progressive change through participatory song. Solidarity Sing Along began happening at the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison on March 11, 2011, and there has been a Solidarity Sing Along during the noon hour at the Capitol every weekday since then. The sing alongs started up as the large protests and the Capitol occupation were ending. They serve to maintain a continuous progressive, pro-labor presence at the Capitol, as well as providing a place where Union members, activists, and citizens can come together and rejuvenate their spirits through song as we continue the fight against Governor Walker and his republican allies."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government